Valpo 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dredougpondcumings

Valpo 1L Taking Questions

Postby dredougpondcumings » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:34 pm

Ask way!

Nova

Re: Valpo 1L Taking Questions

Postby Nova » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:39 pm

Why Valpo?

dredougpondcumings

Postby dredougpondcumings » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:45 pm

I got in with a full-tuition scholly and had some help with COL. All in all I'm debt averse but I may try to transfer out.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:13 pm

Do you regret it? What do your classmates think about their job prospects?

dredougpondcumings

Postby dredougpondcumings » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:35 pm

Honestly, I do. I had no idea what I was doing when I applied. I kind of just threw apps at schools from Indiana since I'm in-state. The pre-law counselors at my undergrad all reccomended Valpo for employment in Northern Indiana. I thought I wanted to stay in the area so I took the money. Now I'm not so sure I want to stick around.

Prospects are not good as you can imagine. However, a 2L buddy of mine got a 1L summer gig at 2-10 person firm in Chicago last summer but he's URM and mass-mailed like crazy. I also know someone externing for an Indiana Supreme Court Justice. So a couple of bright spots but there is no OCI here and its generally an uphill battle.

The new medians made a wave and some of us are wondering how the administration is going to react to the six point drop. Not sure if there's a plan.

IRT classmates, some people are honestly oblivious to the job market. There are people from Cali, FL and other random far flung states that hope to break into Chicago or take their degrees home.

dredougpondcumings

Postby dredougpondcumings » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:08 pm

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B57hoY3 ... ring&pli=1

In case anyone has time to kill and wants to get a sense of what last year's class was like.
Last edited by dredougpondcumings on Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:39 pm

What surprises me the most is all the students who adamantly state they would do it all again, given the opportunity. I regularly see T14 TLSers with biglaw spots regretting their law school decisions, which I guess goes to show... something.

dredougpondcumings

Postby dredougpondcumings » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:32 am

Yeah I noticed that too! There a few passive-aggressive answers to the "what would you change about Valpo" and "would yoi do it again" questions in other issues. Things like "employment" and "if I could swing something out of here".

But yeah, weird that a lot of folks don't seem angry.

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:06 am

twentypercentmore wrote:What surprises me the most is all the students who adamantly state they would do it all again, given the opportunity. I regularly see T14 TLSers with biglaw spots regretting their law school decisions, which I guess goes to show... something.

That's because of the stress and the hours. Many surveys show dissatisfaction with big law practice. Many people have a tendency to think that their success is more because of them than it is being a combination of their own attributes and a lot of luck. Many big law lawyers think they'd be making a few hundred k outside of law when most would not be. They might also become jaded by money, and realize that having a steak vs. a cheeseburger for dinner doesn't make them happy. Moreover, very few people go to law school hoping to work on securities over arguing a case before the Supreme Court.

But irrespective of these complaints, I can't imagine someone putting themselves in life altering debt, working hard and not getting a legal job from it. However, I feel less empathetic if they went to schools like Valpo because all the info was out there before they started. I'd feel worse for the t-14 student who did well enough that dropping out wouldn't have been suggested, but who is in the same position.

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:22 am

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:40 am

m
Last edited by rad lulz on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

dredougpondcumings

Postby dredougpondcumings » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:40 pm

rad lulz wrote:Do people still say "go to Valpo; eat alpo"?

I've never heard that said before. But on the topic of food, our cafeteria is cash only. What kind of bs is that?

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:08 pm

I'm just surprised they actually printed it when people said "no."

Also, the guy who thinks he's going to be a partner somewhere a few years after graduating is heartbreaking.

Haha best answer to "Would you do it again?"

"I would attend a law school."

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:04 am

It's pretty crazy how much of the class members listed planned to take the bar in random ass states.

dredougpondcumings

Postby dredougpondcumings » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:37 pm

--LinkRemoved--

C/O 2012 info. Just trying to spread the wealth of Valpo information.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”