ADHD in Law School?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lmitchell11
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:10 am

ADHD in Law School?

Postby lmitchell11 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:36 pm

I have ADHD (which is managed by medication) however I am worried about how it will work out if I choose to go to law school? My medication can typically carry me from about 7 am to 4 or 5 pm and then I am a mess. My medication not only quits working, it leaves me irritated and exhausted because it is a stimulant. Most of the time with homework and readings I can keep up but it takes a lot of willpower. I know that in law school the reading load will be a lot greater (maybe? I'm a philosophy major.) I can read for 4 hours straight if I am interested in the material (a common ADHD trait) but if I hate it there are times when I won't last a single paragraph without medication. Does anyone else have experience managing ADHD in law school? How did it work out for you?

User avatar
Black Hat
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: ADHD in Law School?

Postby Black Hat » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:22 pm

.
Last edited by Black Hat on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: ADHD in Law School?

Postby Nova » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:24 pm

OP wrote: My medication can typically carry me from about 7 am to 4 or 5 pm


If you can spend 8 solid hours a day on school, youll be fine

User avatar
Black Hat
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: ADHD in Law School?

Postby Black Hat » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:27 pm

Nova wrote:If you can spend 8 solid hours a day on school, youll be fine



Nova, I am dying to know. What LS do you attend?

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: ADHD in Law School?

Postby Nova » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:33 pm

Minnesota

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: ADHD in Law School?

Postby sinfiery » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:24 am

Nova wrote:
OP wrote: My medication can typically carry me from about 7 am to 4 or 5 pm


If you can spend 85 solid hours a day on school, youll be fine





except finals

are you able to study more during finals? like 12-15 hours/day?

User avatar
samcro_op
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:55 pm

Re: ADHD in Law School?

Postby samcro_op » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:37 am

I would also recommend talking to your dean of students about this as far as scheduling goes. Since you don't get to pick you could have a schedule that makes it hard to manage. My next semester I have 90+% of my in class hours on MTW. I am a 1L so I didn't get to have almost any say in this. However if I had a reason like you for this to change I am sure my Dean would accommodate me.

UnderrateOverachieve
Posts: 412
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Re: ADHD in Law School?

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:54 am

Very doable. Check with your school for available accommodation.

User avatar
Black Hat
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: ADHD in Law School?

Postby Black Hat » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:39 am

sinfiery wrote:
Nova wrote:
OP wrote: My medication can typically carry me from about 7 am to 4 or 5 pm


If you can spend 85 solid hours a day on school, youll be fine





are you able to study more during finals? like 12-15 hours/day?


Wow, that is a bit of over kill, even during exams. IMO.

UnderrateOverachieve
Posts: 412
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Re: ADHD in Law School?

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:42 am

Cyclopsmotown18592 wrote:
sinfiery wrote:
Nova wrote:
OP wrote: My medication can typically carry me from about 7 am to 4 or 5 pm


If you can spend 85 solid hours a day on school, youll be fine





are you able to study more during finals? like 12-15 hours/day?


Wow, that is a bit of over kill, even during exams. IMO.


I do exactly 12 hours of studying a day during finals. As long as I eat, take some 5-10 minute breaks, and try and spend at least a couple hours with someone else, it works out fine. Helps to have ADHD medication.

User avatar
Black Hat
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: ADHD in Law School?

Postby Black Hat » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:16 am

!

keviiiiiiiiiiiin
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:28 pm

Re: ADHD in Law School?

Postby keviiiiiiiiiiiin » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:31 pm

lmitchell11 wrote:I have ADHD (which is managed by medication) however I am worried about how it will work out if I choose to go to law school? My medication can typically carry me from about 7 am to 4 or 5 pm and then I am a mess. My medication not only quits working, it leaves me irritated and exhausted because it is a stimulant. Most of the time with homework and readings I can keep up but it takes a lot of willpower. I know that in law school the reading load will be a lot greater (maybe? I'm a philosophy major.) I can read for 4 hours straight if I am interested in the material (a common ADHD trait) but if I hate it there are times when I won't last a single paragraph without medication. Does anyone else have experience managing ADHD in law school? How did it work out for you?


If it only helps you for 9 hours a day, why take it at all?

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: ADHD in Law School?

Postby Nova » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:08 pm

probably cause 9 is better than 0

Jchance
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:17 am

Re: ADHD in Law School?

Postby Jchance » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:13 pm

lmitchell11 wrote:I have ADHD (which is managed by medication) however I am worried about how it will work out if I choose to go to law school? My medication can typically carry me from about 7 am to 4 or 5 pm and then I am a mess. My medication not only quits working, it leaves me irritated and exhausted because it is a stimulant. Most of the time with homework and readings I can keep up but it takes a lot of willpower. I know that in law school the reading load will be a lot greater (maybe? I'm a philosophy major.) I can read for 4 hours straight if I am interested in the material (a common ADHD trait) but if I hate it there are times when I won't last a single paragraph without medication. Does anyone else have experience managing ADHD in law school? How did it work out for you?


take reduced workload, like part-time, and ask for extra-time on exam (which you should qualify for). Then rock all exams.

AnnafutureJDstudent
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:11 pm

Re: ADHD in Law School?

Postby AnnafutureJDstudent » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:29 pm

Black Hat wrote:.

I believe you should do what ever you want. I have cerebral palsy and I won't let it stop me. Have faith in yourself




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], govlife and 6 guests