Transfer Student(s) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
stillwater

Gold

Re: Transfer Student(s) Taking Questions

Post by stillwater » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:33 am

brotherdarkness wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote: There's a forum here for transfer students. Arrow has a guide which is very good, but it's missing a few things. I'm writing an additional guide which I'll post within the next couple of weeks. You're also welcome to PM me anytime should you have questions about 1L year, transferring, etc.
Wow. Amazing feedback. Thanks so much.

I really appreciate you guys sharing your experience and making yourselves available.

Regarding regional markets viewing regional 1L school poorly: would this really hold true for YHS or just lower14? I want indianapolis. So I have a hard time believing YHS and probably uCHI maybe even NU since they are sort of regional would be problematic. I also have lived here my whole life (except UG which was in state). Am I missing something or might those schools work for my goals as transfer options?

Since I already threw my market out there, I'm looking at ND, WUSTL, or IUB if I go this cycle.
Transferring to HYS is never problematic and I can't imagine an interviewer questioning why you would have left any market to attend one of those institutions. As for UChi and NU, if your goal is to end up in the Midwest, those schools are terrific and I don't think you'd experience any problems with being perceived as having left the market. Now, if you were to transfer from ND/WUSTL/IUB to somewhere like Cornell in hopes of ending up back in the Midwest, I think there'd be a bit more of an issue.
HYS are truly national. They are unimpeachable moves. UChi and NU are T14 in your relative region, so also strong. (Maybe M as well??? Don't know much about their placement power). BD is very right that if you start transferring to places like Cornell or GULC, Duke, UVA, it's going to start raising some questions. ITE don't give employers excuses NOT to hire you.

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:37 am

brotherdarkness wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote: There's a forum here for transfer students. Arrow has a guide which is very good, but it's missing a few things. I'm writing an additional guide which I'll post within the next couple of weeks. You're also welcome to PM me anytime should you have questions about 1L year, transferring, etc.

I really appreciate you guys sharing your experience and making yourselves available.

Regarding regional markets viewing leaving regional 1L school poorly: would this really hold true for YHS or just lower14? I want indianapolis. So I have a hard time believing YHS and probably uCHI maybe even NU since they are sort of regional would be problematic. I also have lived here my whole life (except UG which was in state). Am I missing something or might those schools work for my goals as transfer options?

Since I already threw my market out there, I'm looking at ND, WUSTL, or IUB if I go this cycle.
Transferring to HYS is never problematic and I can't imagine an interviewer questioning why you would have left any market to attend one of those institutions. As for UChi and NU, if your goal is to end up in the Midwest, those schools are terrific and I don't think you'd experience any problems with being perceived as having left the market. Now, if you were to transfer from ND/WUSTL/IUB to somewhere like Cornell in hopes of ending up back in the Midwest, I think there'd be a bit more of an issue.
Sorry Stillwater. Should have read "regional markets viewing leaving regional 1L poorly"

Thanks brother. Glad to hear I was kind of on track in my thinking. Also realized I should probably keep the Qs more general on this thread. Sorry. And thanks again!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:38 am

yossarian71 wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:

Regarding regional markets viewing leaving regional 1L school poorly: would this really hold true for YHS or just lower14? I want indianapolis. So I have a hard time believing YHS and probably uCHI maybe even NU since they are sort of regional would be problematic. I also have lived here my whole life (except UG which was in state). Am I missing something or might those schools work for my goals as transfer options?

Sorry Stillwater. Should have read "regional markets viewing leaving regional 1L poorly"

Thanks brother. Glad to hear I was kind of on track in my thinking. Also realized I should probably keep the Qs more general on this thread. Sorry. And thanks again!
specific questions are great!!! sorry, i should have been able to figure it out!

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:06 am

yossarian71 wrote:

I interviewed in Indianapolis this past OCI season, and from what Ive seen, IUB dominated that market. Between the 3 schools you listed, I'd definitely choose IUB unless the other school offers significantly more money.

Transferred to T14 (read T12) give u national reach, however, avoid Cornell+Georgetown like plague for transfers.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:16 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:37 am

brotherdarkness wrote:Transferring to HYS is never problematic and I can't imagine an interviewer questioning why you would have left any market to attend one of those institutions.
You'd be surprised. I went Vandy->H, got offers everywhere in DC/NY/CA, and struck out in ATL (where I lived for ten years). I don't know how else to explain it than I got dinged for transferring out of region.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:38 am

patogordo wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:Transferring to HYS is never problematic and I can't imagine an interviewer questioning why you would have left any market to attend one of those institutions.
You'd be surprised. I went Vandy->H, got offers everywhere in DC/NY/CA, and struck out in ATL (where I lived for ten years). I don't know how else to explain it than I got dinged for transferring out of region.
isnt Atlanta a bloodbath (hiring wise)?

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:41 am

stillwater wrote:
patogordo wrote:
isnt Atlanta a bloodbath (hiring wise)?
It's a tough market but plenty of people got ATL at H, and so did people from Vandy with worse grades than me.

And every CB was like uh why did you transfer

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:42 am

Chiming in. Gradewise, I am about top 1/3rd at my new school. But like others have said, grades don't matter at your new school. I got a job at OCI through waaaay before any grades came in. It's super relaxing to not have to worry about gunning any more. That said, a lot of the transfers still gun because they can't help it. That ain't me, though. I stopped making my own outlines, studied significantly less, etc.

On employers looking down on your for transferring out of your 1L regional school: I didn't really find this to be the case. I came from a midwestern-ish regional school, and I reached out to a lot of firms during 2L OCI. I was able to get interviews and did some callbacks. Didn't end up with any offers, but I think that was more due to the fact that the region was absurdly hard to get any bigfirm job (which is why I left). Occasionally people asked about it in interviews ("How were you able to leave this area?!"), but it was mostly in a small talk, chit-chat kind of way. And everyone told me that transferring was the best choice.

So I don't think it was held against me, but of course, I can't know for certain.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”