Transfer Student(s) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
brotherdarkness

Gold

Transfer Student(s) Taking Questions

Post by brotherdarkness » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:42 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sap

Bronze

Re: Transfer Student(s) Taking Questions

Post by sap » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:37 pm

I will also answer questions (USF->Berk) once you 1L folk have your gradies in.

bld2414

New

Post by bld2414 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:09 am

I'll participate too. Current 3L.

FSU -> NYU.

deebanger

Bronze

Post by deebanger » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:21 am

yhinferno

New

Post by yhinferno » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:21 am

Accepted (c/o 2016) to T7. Deferred acceptance (binding deferral) for univ admin/managerial job at YHS. LSAT mediocre. Want to end up in YHS. Didn't apply to YHS for 2012-3 cycle.

Career considerations: clerkship, academia, or DC government.

Musing over the following options:
1) take LSAT again and if score is great, then drop T7 seat and reapply (opportunity cost of another year lost, reapply in 2013-4 cycle + risk of losing seat and not getting into YHS)?
2) attend T7 in Fall 2014 and study ass off and transfer after 1L?
3) attend T7 and staying put?
Last edited by yhinferno on Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:27 am

thanks for setting this up BD. i had so many questions and didn't know where to ask/

i would like to know, specifically, how much more prestigious the move made you and how you stack up against the new competition.

thx in advance,

TTTransferHopeful

sap

Bronze

Post by sap » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:43 pm

stillwater wrote:thanks for setting this up BD. i had so many questions and didn't know where to ask/

i would like to know, specifically, how much more prestigious the move made you and how you stack up against the new competition.

thx in advance,

TTTransferHopeful
You can clean up a troll, put a crimson ribbon on its tail, spray it with Harvard perfume, slap some Harvard lipstick on its bozo face, but it's still a troll.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:31 pm

i was just joking. this is a great resource. not nearly enough information about transferring out there.

also, sap, stop being so presumptuous. plus, i was jusstttt joking.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:32 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:35 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
sap wrote:
stillwater wrote:thanks for setting this up BD. i had so many questions and didn't know where to ask/

thx in advance,

TTTransferHopeful
You can clean up a troll, put a crimson ribbon on its tail, spray it with Harvard perfume, slap some Harvard lipstick on its bozo face, but it's still a troll.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure why SW seems so bitter all of the sudden.
no bitterness. great idea; needed thread. i was just on a coffee-fueled lulz fest trying to inject a bit of levity into finals.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:42 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:03 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
stillwater wrote:no bitterness. great idea; needed thread. i was just on a coffee-fueled lulz fest trying to inject a bit of levity into finals.
There were a lot of questions I had when I was considering transferring. There is very information available on TLS and I wanted to be able to have a back-and-forth conversation with students who had transferred rather than read someone's "guide" to the process.

Anyways, learn to handle your caffeine.
i was being serious. its a great idea. i felt the same way

sap

Bronze

Post by sap » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:07 pm

IT IS A GREAT IDEA AND WE SHOULD ALL BE FRIENDS.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:05 pm

Oooh, these are fun, and I just took my last final (and apparently have no life until I leave for Tahoe on Wednesday, nor do I plan to have one later...sad).

Enough of that
Hastings --> Stanford, happy to answer questions with this lot.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:15 pm

"... Barney, why don't you have a seat over here...?"

shazi

New

Post by shazi » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:09 pm

Hey guys!

Is it worth it to start working on transfer applications/writing personal statements during winter break?
Won't get my grades for another couple weeks but I don't know how I'll have time to work on transfer apps during the semester. Thoughts?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:25 pm

shazi wrote:Hey guys!

Is it worth it to start working on transfer applications/writing personal statements during winter break?
Won't get my grades for another couple weeks but I don't know how I'll have time to work on transfer apps during the semester. Thoughts?
Considering they are a pain in the ass. I wouldn't do anything until you get your grades. The chances of transferring in a meaningful fashion are just so low, that it seems like an unnecessary time sink to do it befoer you even know where you stand.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:29 pm

How glad are you to be the fuck out of the state of Illinois right now? Cause you really should savor it.

On a more serious note, are you applying for clerkships?
Last edited by Blumpbeef on Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:39 pm

I wrote my personal statement in the week after my spring grades came out. Professors will understand, and then you know for sure if you are competitive.

Of course, if you're easily bored during xmas break and don't want to hone your drinking skillz, eh...of course, you could also work on a journal note, or the next great american novel, or on repairing your relationships with friends and family that fell to shiz while you were studying last semester (ok, so that's mine, I sort of went incommunicado the month before finals. People were not pleased.).

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:04 am

sap

Bronze

Post by sap » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:36 pm

I also wrote my personal statement after grades started to roll in. There's plenty of time between grades and transfer, though you may want to ask first semester professors for a rec if you did well just to get ahead of the game (I used 2 first sem profs and 1 second sem).

Just to give you a feel for the timeline, most transfer apps were due on or after June 15 last year. However, if you think you're really into transferring, check the schools you're interested in to see how their write-ons work. Harvard makes its transfers participate in May, before they've even gotten in. So plan your time well. I really only wanted to be in the Bay, so I didn't participate in any pre-acceptance write-ons. But I'm sure someone has advice about prioritization.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:56 pm

Don't bother until you get your grades back. It is virtually impossible to accurately predict your performance. I thought I failed first semester (as in, I talked to the dean of students about dropping out), did really well. Thought I did really well second semester, median pwnd.

Also, question for people who transferred, were your profs hostile when you asked for letters of recommendation?

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:02 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

echooo23

Bronze

Post by echooo23 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:41 pm

I didn't start writing a PS until after getting grades. I simply had no idea whether my first semester grades would be good enough to consider transfer. But my suggestion is that if you really have time to burn during break and you want to tailor your PS (which I did for every school to which I applied for transfer), just spend a little bit of time doing research and thinking in a general sense how your research could tie into a PS. But I certainly wouldn't go full throttle on it without getting grades back first.

I also started asking for letter of recs right after spring semester started. None of my professors were hostile, and one was even incredibly encouraging (though she was an adjunct). I approached them first to feel them out, then I emailed or dropped in their mailbox a package consisting of: my resume, first semester grades, LSAC recommendation form, and a short letter about my background, ambitions, and reason for transferring. All professors were professional and timely, except for one professor who claims he didn't get my package, but he got it done right away as soon as I reminded him.

Re: pre-acceptance write ons, I applied to a school that required one and it was absolutely the worst. After spring semester finals, I did my 1L school's write on and the write on for the school that I was applying to, back to back. All while starting my summer job. IT WAS THE WORST. And I didn't even end up going to that other school. By the time I got to the school I actually transferred to, I just didn't have it in me to do the write on. So, hope that doesn't come back to bite me in the ass.

I got no grief at all from my 1L school. First, they're known for never negotiating scholarships, so I never had to think about that at all. After I asked the registrar's office to send off forms, no one approached me to convince me to stay. There was no delay with my documents or transcripts. I withdrew in late July by email, and the dean responded by asking me whether I was transferring and if so to which school. I responded, and then he wished me well. No grief whatsoever. I've since on multiple occasions run into my old OCS counselor, and she's been nothing but encouraging and understanding. I think my 1L school was great (but wish their employment numbers were better).

shazi

New

Post by shazi » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:25 pm

Wow very helpful responses!

I think I'm with LisaVJ on this one. Using break to hone my drinking skills and letting my friends know I'm still alive is a good idea.

Winter Break has to be the best thing ever. I never truly appreciated how wonderful it is to be able to do anything you want all day.

Reading EE's over break is impressive. That's dedication. I might read Chemerinsky's Con Law supplement over break since I'm using his casebook next semester.

It's nice to know there is time to get Apps/PS's done after grades roll through.

It does sound like getting a head start won't hurt. But I feel like rolling admissions for transfers doesn't matter as much? I'm sure they have the luxury to wait and evaluate all the applicants before making decisions considering barely anyone applies to transfer?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”