Deferment

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Young Marino

Deferment

Postby Young Marino » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:37 pm

I was just curious as to how the process of deferring admission for a year works. Are schools generally receptive to the idea if I want to defer due to financial reasons (wanna save up serious $$)? Or is it generally pretty hard to defer?

prezidentv8

Re: Deferment

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:46 pm

Young Marino wrote:I was just curious as to how the process of deferring admission for a year works. Are schools generally receptive to the idea if I want to defer due to financial reasons (wanna save up serious $$)? Or is it generally pretty hard to defer?

I think I asked about that, although that was years ago now. They asked why I wanted to defer. I said "to pay off my credit card and save some money." The response was something like "well can't you go get a grad degree or something?"

TLDR: I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:08 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
Young Marino wrote:I was just curious as to how the process of deferring admission for a year works. Are schools generally receptive to the idea if I want to defer due to financial reasons (wanna save up serious $$)? Or is it generally pretty hard to defer?

I think I asked about that, although that was years ago now. They asked why I wanted to defer. I said "to pay off my credit card and save some money." The response was something like "well can't you go get a grad degree or something?"

TLDR: I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT

Lol uhh wtf? So I'm guessing you didn't get to defer? That's basically why I want to defer.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:10 am

haha i did not, although that wasn't the school i ended up at anyway

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:17 am

It varies by school, by the timing of your request, and your reasons. Some schools will grant deferrals pretty much at will if you ask early enough but want a serious reason if it's like June. Some schools don't care about timing and want your reason to be like "I need chemotherapy" even if you're asking in January. There's not really enough data on it to accurately predict. If you can find someone else who deferred at a school, they might have some more info, but probably just an anecdote of their own situation.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:28 am

rinkrat19 wrote:It varies by school, by the timing of your request, and your reasons. Some schools will grant deferrals pretty much at will if you ask early enough but want a serious reason if it's like June. Some schools don't care about timing and want your reason to be like "I need chemotherapy" even if you're asking in January. There's not really enough data on it to accurately predict. If you can find someone else who deferred at a school, they might have some more info, but probably just an anecdote of their own situation.

I actually spoke to admissions at the school I'm going to attend and they said that because I would be requesting it so early, it would be gramted and its usually not a problem to defer for a year. Looks like I'll be taking the next year off, get some real world experience, wait out another year in a down economy and be a class of 2018 student. Hopefully by then there is a drastic improvement in the legal market.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:58 pm

School dependent. Just come up with your best reason (short and simple) and give it a whirl. Nothing to lose. The school I was with granted it right away. I just said I wanted to save some more $$ before going to law school.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”