No legal references going into law school

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Young Marino
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

No legal references going into law school

Postby Young Marino » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:53 pm

Hello all. I'm hoping someone can answer this for me. I don't have any legal references that can help me when applying for 1L summer internships (I am a 0L as of now). Is this a big problem? I plan to put down my local mayor as a reference for sure as I did an internship under her for about 8 months and then thinking of putting down one or multiple of three: my undergrad thesis professor/retail job supervisor/mayor's administrative secretary/maybe a law school professor? Is it common for students to enter law school without legal references and if you don't have any, how much does it hurt?

User avatar
sopranorleone
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:38 pm

Re: No legal references going into law school

Postby sopranorleone » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:18 pm

Young Marino wrote:Is this a big problem?


No.

Is it common for students to enter law school without legal references?


Yes.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: No legal references going into law school

Postby stillwater » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:25 pm

sopranorleone wrote:
Young Marino wrote:Is this a big problem?


No.

Is it common for students to enter law school without legal references?


Yes.


ma man sopranorleone killin it

User avatar
Young Marino
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: No legal references going into law school

Postby Young Marino » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:44 pm

sopranorleone wrote:
Young Marino wrote:Is this a big problem?


No.

Is it common for students to enter law school without legal references?


Yes.

Thanks bro.

Void
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 am

Re: No legal references going into law school

Postby Void » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:16 pm

Almost nobody has legal references, and especially ones that will actually be helpful. Any internship looking to take on 1L summers will be totally accustomed to folks who have zero legal experience before law school.

Source: I had never even met an attorney before going to law school. This had zero effect on my experience.

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7669
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: No legal references going into law school

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:54 pm

I'm not sure you understand what a reference is. Your references for law school should be people who know you well, either in an academic or professional capacity.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9652
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: No legal references going into law school

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:31 pm

If you are going to a local school where only half the grads get legal jobs after graduation, I can maybe see how prior connections and references from practicing attorneys or judges would be an important asset for idiosyncratic hiring. For any school with large OCIs (tier 1) it makes no difference.

User avatar
Young Marino
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: No legal references going into law school

Postby Young Marino » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:09 pm

jbagelboy wrote:If you are going to a local school where only half the grads get legal jobs after graduation, I can maybe see how prior connections and references from practicing attorneys or judges would be an important asset for idiosyncratic hiring. For any school with large OCIs (tier 1) it makes no difference.

I'm going to try to volunteer at a larger firm after the holidays for a few months where a lot of alumni from my perspective school work. Even if it's just doing a bunch of bs office work I'm fine with that. Hopefully I can make a few solid connects and see if working in the private sector is something I'd like to do

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9652
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: No legal references going into law school

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Young Marino wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:If you are going to a local school where only half the grads get legal jobs after graduation, I can maybe see how prior connections and references from practicing attorneys or judges would be an important asset for idiosyncratic hiring. For any school with large OCIs (tier 1) it makes no difference.

I'm going to try to volunteer at a larger firm after the holidays for a few months where a lot of alumni from my perspective school work. Even if it's just doing a bunch of bs office work I'm fine with that. Hopefully I can make a few solid connects and see if working in the private sector is something I'd like to do


Alright. Just fyi, a good reference isnt just someone who nominally employed you, or knows who you are. It should be someone who has seen what you can do in close quarters, admires your work, and would really go to bat for you.

kykiske
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:12 pm

Re: No legal references going into law school

Postby kykiske » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:35 am

I got really close with two of my 1L professors during the fall semester.

And I happened to also do well on their exams. So I had them act as my references, and that seemed to work out fine.

Void
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 am

Re: No legal references going into law school

Postby Void » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:22 pm

kykiske wrote:I got really close with two of my 1L professors during the fall semester.

And I happened to also do well on their exams. So I had them act as my references, and that seemed to work out fine.


Even if you're not super close with professors, and even if you only did alright in their classes, you can still use them for references. It's part of their job, and most professors have a canned set of comments to describe all of their students anyway. Unless you bomb a class or get the sense that a professor actually dislikes you, don't hesitate to ask to list them as references.

collegewriter
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:01 pm

Re: No legal references going into law school

Postby collegewriter » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:49 pm

You don't need legal references to get a 1L job. I used my boss of 5 years from a non-legal profession and someone who worked at a non-profit. That being said, a great way to boost resume as a 1L is to do legal-type things like Uncontested Divorce Project, Suspension Representation, Unemployment Action Center, etc. These basically mimic real legal work and allow you to talk about legal work in a job-like setting as opposed to the legal theory you work on at school. Your school will advertise these in the beginning of both semesters. Since you'll be working in public interest/govt. as a 1L most likely, you greatly benefit from doing these and writing about them in your cover letter.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Clemenceau and 6 guests