0L Confused about Bar Examination Question

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Madkow305

0L Confused about Bar Examination Question

Postby Madkow305 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:37 am

Hey guys, I was going through my state's bar app when this question popped up:

21. Have you ever been cited for, arrested for, charged with, or convicted of any violation of any law including any cases resolved in juvenile court? (Report traffic violations at Questions 20.)

Now, I have an alcohol related incident in my UG disciplinary record (which apparently my school destroys at graduation) but I have a clean permanent record. No felonies, misdemeanors, speeding tickets lol. The form attached to this question has everything about courts and law enforcement agencies and court case numbers, none of which are pertinent to a UG disciplinary issue. I was wondering whether this question does indeed require me to disclose my UG incident? :?

P.S.: I am disclosing my incident to law schools to be honest on my apps. I'm justing wondering if I'll have to disclose this on the bar app too. Thanks.

owlofminerva

Re: 0L Confused about Bar Examination Question

Postby owlofminerva » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:43 am

Madkow305 wrote:Hey guys, I was going through my state's bar app when this question popped up:

21. Have you ever been cited for, arrested for, charged with, or convicted of any violation of any law including any cases resolved in juvenile court? (Report traffic violations at Questions 20.)

Now, I have an alcohol related incident in my UG disciplinary record (which apparently my school destroys at graduation) but I have a clean permanent record. No felonies, misdemeanors, speeding tickets lol. The form attached to this question has everything about courts and law enforcement agencies and court case numbers, none of which are pertinent to a UG disciplinary issue. I was wondering whether this question does indeed require me to disclose my UG incident? :?

P.S.: I am disclosing my incident to law schools to be honest on my apps. I'm justing wondering if I'll have to disclose this on the bar app too. Thanks.

Is there a question on the bar app dealing with any disciplinary activity in school? I know that my bar app had a question in the education section that specifically asked about any educational disciplinary proceedings. If so, I would disclose it there. If not, it is probably worth mentioning in this question. I wouldn't skip putting it on there just because you disclosed it on the law school app as it might raise questions about why you disclosed on one and not the other. Just my .02.

lawdawg09

Postby lawdawg09 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:09 pm

For what it is worth I was in the same boat. Just disclose and explain. No one cares.

I actually forgot about the incident until I was a 3L and filling out my C&F form, as such, I did not list it on my LS app. I disclosed the incident in both of my C&F applications and said how "I learned my lesson and am a grown up now."

I had no problems with clearing C&F in two different states after disclosing. They didn't even ask about it.

slayerhn

Postby slayerhn » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:01 pm

Texas Board of law examiners answered yes to this question. It may differ based on your state. However, they reasoned that their whole thing is honesty. If you admit to an alcohol mishap a few years ago, they won't really care. They were more concerned about how it looks if you don't tell them and they end up finding out about it.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”