Quinnipiac 2L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
DonDrapersAttorney

Quinnipiac 2L Taking Questions

Postby DonDrapersAttorney » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:04 am

I'm a Quinnipiac 2L with a scholarship, willing to answer any questions people may have.

Dr. Review

Re: Quinnipiac 2L Taking Questions

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:11 am

Are you concerned about the job search? It appears that 41% of grads found jobs, and 28% were in firms with 2-10 attorneys.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... =employers

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:55 am

Which other law schools did you get into and why did you choose Quinnipiac? Did you consider not going to law school at all?

DonDrapersAttorney

Postby DonDrapersAttorney » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:33 pm

I'm not concerned about the job search, although I'm not interested in pursuing a job in Big Law. So the medium/small firm and public sector placements are fine by me. Anyone choosing QU for Big Law jobs really doesn't have a very good chance. I also got into Hofstra, Elon, Suffolk, and about six others. I completely undershot my potential but received at least $15k from every school.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:05 pm

DonDrapersAttorney wrote:I'm not concerned about the job search, although I'm not interested in pursuing a job in Big Law. So the medium/small firm and public sector placements are fine by me. Anyone choosing QU for Big Law jobs really doesn't have a very good chance. I also got into Hofstra, Elon, Suffolk, and about six others. I completely undershot my potential but received at least $15k from every school.

I was referring to the 6/10 unemployed, rather than the biglaw vs other law comparison.

DonDrapersAttorney

Postby DonDrapersAttorney » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:33 pm

I think that number is a bit high. I haven't heard of anyone that I know from last year's graduating class who is without some kind of legal employment. I know there are a decent number of being that go on to be solo practitioners, and that site specifically states it doesn't report those. Everyone is concerned with what type of job they're going to get but I haven't heard of anyone that is afraid they can't get a job.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:16 pm

DonDrapersAttorney wrote:I think that number is a bit high. I haven't heard of anyone that I know from last year's graduating class who is without some kind of legal employment. I know there are a decent number of being that go on to be solo practitioners, and that site specifically states it doesn't report those. Everyone is concerned with what type of job they're going to get but I haven't heard of anyone that is afraid they can't get a job.

Have you talked with the solos about how business is going and if so, can you share if you're comfortable with sharing?

Also, what is the maximum in loans that you think a Quinnipiac student should take out before it becomes too much debt? Since biglaw isn't a viable route, I can't imagine that paying sticker with loans is a good idea. Do you know of people who take this route?

Thanks for taking questions!

redsox550

Postby redsox550 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:42 pm

How can someone afford starting off solo with so much debt already? Do they take out another 200k to be able to start up their law firm? If so, where do they find someone to lend them more money?

DonDrapersAttorney

Postby DonDrapersAttorney » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:53 pm

At least half, if not 3/4 of any given class at QU is paying full sticker. They section stack the entering class. I can't speak to how much the solos are earning, but I haven't heard of anyone leaving the law. I know one QU solo who's trying to retire in the next two years or so although he takes virtually everything that comes his way and had a career prior.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”