How much do firm employers value pro bono experience? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
shibby

Bronze

How much do firm employers value pro bono experience?

Post by shibby » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:40 am

Last edited by shibby on Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr. wednesday

Bronze

Re: How much do firm employers value pro bono experience?

Post by mr. wednesday » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:50 am

Do they value pro bono experience? Generally, no. Too much public interest stuff and they'll think you are planning on jumping ship ASAP or will burn out or aren't committed to working there. Even firms with pro bono projects seem to do that more for recruiting than because they actually like it. Some pro bono helps young associates develop skills, so that would be more positive.

But if you are a 1L, it's probably a net positive to at least get some more legal experience. It would be ideal if your experience was relevant--some kind of litigation if you want to go litigation, for example. Focus on what skills you gain from the work instead of the fact that it was public interest.

TheGreatFish

New

Re: How much do firm employers value pro bono experience?

Post by TheGreatFish » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:21 am

I had some experience working pro bono for a public interest group. I was never once asked about it during interviews, but I would bring up the work I had done there if I thought it was relevant to the position.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”