Yale 1L Tells All

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
zlrup
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:38 am

Re: Yale 1L Tells All

Postby zlrup » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:34 pm

Thank you NapoleonXV and Elston. I have some more questions if you don't mind.

1. How hard is it to get a room in one of the graduate dorms on campus?

2. This might be kind of dumb, but how do you actually register for classes?

3. How many courses do students typically take in a semester? The binder mentioned you needed 83 units to graduate, but I didn't see how many units most courses are actually worth.

Thanks so much!

User avatar
pancakes3
Posts: 3918
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Yale 1L Tells All

Postby pancakes3 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:58 pm

Cicero76 wrote:
RCSOB657 wrote:I am curious, what is the lowest LSAT a student has been admitted with in your class?


152. But I wouldn't count on that meaning something.


Are LSAT scores common knowledge? Or even just the extreme LSATs? I don't think I know a single LSAT score for any of my classmates.

NapoleonXV
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:29 am

Re: Yale 1L Tells All

Postby NapoleonXV » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:14 pm

zlrup wrote:Thank you NapoleonXV and Elston. I have some more questions if you don't mind.

1. How hard is it to get a room in one of the graduate dorms on campus?

2. This might be kind of dumb, but how do you actually register for classes?

3. How many courses do students typically take in a semester? The binder mentioned you needed 83 units to graduate, but I didn't see how many units most courses are actually worth.

Thanks so much!


1. Virtually impossible. I only know one who lives in grad dorm, and he is an international student.

2. You don't need to register for first semester classes. There will be an online bidding system for later semesters.

3. Normally, people take two black letter classes, a seminar and a experiential/clinic during a semester. Black letter classes are normally 4, and seminars/clinics 2-3. You also get credit from RA/journal/reading groups/etc.

User avatar
Cicero76
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: Yale 1L Tells All

Postby Cicero76 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:06 am

pancakes3 wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:
RCSOB657 wrote:I am curious, what is the lowest LSAT a student has been admitted with in your class?


152. But I wouldn't count on that meaning something.


Are LSAT scores common knowledge? Or even just the extreme LSATs? I don't think I know a single LSAT score for any of my classmates.


The high-low range for each class is published.

macha
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:45 pm

Re: Yale 1L Tells All

Postby macha » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:05 pm

Have you had any experiences with the financial aid office? How do you find them when it comes to helping students manage loans, COAP, etc? Thanks!

User avatar
Cicero76
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: Yale 1L Tells All

Postby Cicero76 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:40 pm

macha wrote:Have you had any experiences with the financial aid office? How do you find them when it comes to helping students manage loans, COAP, etc? Thanks!


I mean they're fairly helpful and they'll answer any questions that you have, but I don't really understand what you're asking. Loans and COAP are both fairly straightforward, though the financial aid office will help you understand either if you're at all confused. It's pretty standard, what is it you're expecting?

User avatar
Aquinas
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:28 pm

Re: Yale 1L Tells All

Postby Aquinas » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:16 pm

1. As a rule of thumb, are conservative students socially isolated and/or taken less seriously by professors at Yale? I recently spoke with a guy who graduated from YLS in the early 2000s (who's pretty liberal himself) and said that when he was there, being conservative would've been a significant roadblock in forming relationships with classmates and profs. I'm a social conservative (in a Natural Law sense more so than a Burkean sense, for all that might matter) in my senior year at one of the more left-leaning undergraduate institutions in New England, and have pretty much always felt free to voice my opinions here without fear of burning bridges, so long as I make an effort to do so in a decently humble and intellectually rigorous way. Could I expect the same at YLS, or does the characterization from the alum I talked to still hold true?

2. Re: admissions, how much of a factor is what one does in the time between graduating from undergrad and applying to YLS? As of right now, possibilities for next year might be either a political theory MPhil at Oxford, a research assistant job at a think tank in DC, or an editorial fellowship at an NYC-based magazine on religion and public policy. I assume Oxford would come across the best on a law school application, but what how big a difference do you think it'd make, relative to the other options? Don't get me wrong, I didn't apply to the MPhil for the sake of résumé padding, but it's a little tougher to shell out for two year's worth of international tuition (and foregone salary) if doing so would have little to no material impact on the law school admissions picture.

User avatar
Philafaler
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:16 am

Re: Yale 1L Tells All

Postby Philafaler » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:54 pm

.
Last edited by Philafaler on Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Elston Gunn
Posts: 3444
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Yale 1L Tells All

Postby Elston Gunn » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:24 pm

Aquinas wrote:1. As a rule of thumb, are conservative students socially isolated and/or taken less seriously by professors at Yale? I recently spoke with a guy who graduated from YLS in the early 2000s (who's pretty liberal himself) and said that when he was there, being conservative would've been a significant roadblock in forming relationships with classmates and profs. I'm a social conservative (in a Natural Law sense more so than a Burkean sense, for all that might matter) in my senior year at one of the more left-leaning undergraduate institutions in New England, and have pretty much always felt free to voice my opinions here without fear of burning bridges, so long as I make an effort to do so in a decently humble and intellectually rigorous way. Could I expect the same at YLS, or does the characterization from the alum I talked to still hold true?

Really, really don't think so. Maybe actual conservatives would disagree, and the Fed Socers do stick together to some degree and often enough make a big deal out of feeling like they're being shamed for their principled beliefs on the Wall, but you'll be fine. It's also a great career move to be a conservative.

2. Re: admissions, how much of a factor is what one does in the time between graduating from undergrad and applying to YLS? As of right now, possibilities for next year might be either a political theory MPhil at Oxford, a research assistant job at a think tank in DC, or an editorial fellowship at an NYC-based magazine on religion and public policy. I assume Oxford would come across the best on a law school application, but what how big a difference do you think it'd make, relative to the other options? Don't get me wrong, I didn't apply to the MPhil for the sake of résumé padding, but it's a little tougher to shell out for two year's worth of international tuition (and foregone salary) if doing so would have little to no material impact on the law school admissions picture.

What you do matters a lot, but I don't think any of these options will make you a more or less attractive candidate. Definitely don't get a degree you don't want other than for LS admissions.

User avatar
foamborn
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: Yale 1L Tells All

Postby foamborn » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:23 pm

any info on research assistant positions? i've spoken to one person who was an RA @ yale. said that it was worthwhile but that it wasn't as if he had loads of contact or worked closely with the professor. spoke of receiving assignments, working on his own on them, and sending them off to the prof. is this pretty common for RA's? do any professors have better reputations among RA's for substantive reasons, rather than for recommendation value? are RA positions considered 'doing something legal' for ur 1L summer?

User avatar
Elston Gunn
Posts: 3444
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Yale 1L Tells All

Postby Elston Gunn » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:17 pm

foamborn wrote:any info on research assistant positions? i've spoken to one person who was an RA @ yale. said that it was worthwhile but that it wasn't as if he had loads of contact or worked closely with the professor. spoke of receiving assignments, working on his own on them, and sending them off to the prof. is this pretty common for RA's? do any professors have better reputations among RA's for substantive reasons, rather than for recommendation value? are RA positions considered 'doing something legal' for ur 1L summer?

That sounds like a common experience for RA positions, though I'm sure it varies. Only big exception off the top of my head is Resnik, who has tons of contact with her RAs (and is very demanding). They're fine for 1L positions, though it's a lot more common to split it with something else.

User avatar
RunnerRunner
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:16 pm

Re: Yale 1L Tells All

Postby RunnerRunner » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:54 pm

Question: how difficult is it to get honors in your classes at Yale? I am sure this varies widely according to Professor, but would you say it is common for 10% in a given course to get honors? 30%? Any ballpark estimates? Thanks :D

EDIT: I guess as a 1L you might not have as much personal experience with this, but if you've gotten an impression from other students? Or are there any other Yalies here that know?
Last edited by RunnerRunner on Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cicero76
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: Yale 1L Tells All

Postby Cicero76 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:57 pm

RunnerRunner wrote:Question: how difficult is it to get honors in your classes at Yale? I am sure this varies widely according to Professor, but would you say it is common for 10% in a given course to get honors? 30%? Any ballpark estimates? Thanks :D


It's usually at least 30%. Seminars can often have all H's. Black letter classes are typically closer to a third

User avatar
RunnerRunner
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:16 pm

Re: Yale 1L Tells All

Postby RunnerRunner » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:59 pm

Cicero76 wrote:
RunnerRunner wrote:Question: how difficult is it to get honors in your classes at Yale? I am sure this varies widely according to Professor, but would you say it is common for 10% in a given course to get honors? 30%? Any ballpark estimates? Thanks :D


It's usually at least 30%. Seminars can often have all H's. Black letter classes are typically closer to a third


Thanks for the quick reply!

User avatar
Elston Gunn
Posts: 3444
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Yale 1L Tells All

Postby Elston Gunn » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:47 pm

RunnerRunner wrote:Question: how difficult is it to get honors in your classes at Yale? I am sure this varies widely according to Professor, but would you say it is common for 10% in a given course to get honors? 30%? Any ballpark estimates? Thanks :D

EDIT: I guess as a 1L you might not have as much personal experience with this, but if you've gotten an impression from other students? Or are there any other Yalies here that know?

Yeah 30% is the baseline for black letters, though it varies a lot by professor, almost always up (e.g., there are some large black letters that give out 75%+ Hs). It's a lot like undergrad, honestly. Most professors will just give you the grade they think you deserve, regardless of any sense of a curve, and they have different ideas about what work deserves what grade. Seminars are probably 90%. Clinics virtually 100%.

(I'm a 3L btw, not the OP.)

User avatar
foamborn
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: Yale 1L Tells All

Postby foamborn » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:13 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:That sounds like a common experience for RA positions, though I'm sure it varies. Only big exception off the top of my head is Resnik, who has tons of contact with her RAs (and is very demanding). They're fine for 1L positions, though it's a lot more common to split it with something else.


thanks.

for securing 1L summer positions are yalies dependent on pre-law resume? mine's pretty weak/completely unrelated to jobs/internships i'd hope to be securing. will that prove a barrier to snagging a 1L position?

also, anyone had classes with professor gerken?

User avatar
Elston Gunn
Posts: 3444
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Yale 1L Tells All

Postby Elston Gunn » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:33 pm

foamborn wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:That sounds like a common experience for RA positions, though I'm sure it varies. Only big exception off the top of my head is Resnik, who has tons of contact with her RAs (and is very demanding). They're fine for 1L positions, though it's a lot more common to split it with something else.


thanks.

for securing 1L summer positions are yalies dependent on pre-law resume? mine's pretty weak/completely unrelated to jobs/internships i'd hope to be securing. will that prove a barrier to snagging a 1L position?

You mean to RA 1L summer? For the professors who want a full time RA there shouldn't much competition. If you're trying to work part time for one of the connected people (e.g. Gerken, Chua, etc.), yeah it might be more challenging.

If you're just talking generally, 1L jobs just aren't that big a deal, and you'll find something you want. (And if you don't, who really cares.) I was definitely in the bottom quartile of impressive resumes, and I was at DOJ, and had offers at other agencies and a big city USAO.

User avatar
foamborn
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: Yale 1L Tells All

Postby foamborn » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:53 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:
foamborn wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:That sounds like a common experience for RA positions, though I'm sure it varies. Only big exception off the top of my head is Resnik, who has tons of contact with her RAs (and is very demanding). They're fine for 1L positions, though it's a lot more common to split it with something else.


thanks.

for securing 1L summer positions are yalies dependent on pre-law resume? mine's pretty weak/completely unrelated to jobs/internships i'd hope to be securing. will that prove a barrier to snagging a 1L position?

You mean to RA 1L summer? For the professors who want a full time RA there shouldn't much competition. If you're trying to work part time for one of the connected people (e.g. Gerken, Chua, etc.), yeah it might be more challenging.

If you're just talking generally, 1L jobs just aren't that big a deal, and you'll find something you want. (And if you don't, who really cares.) I was definitely in the bottom quartile of impressive resumes, and I was at DOJ, and had offers at other agencies and a big city USAO.


excellent. thanks again.

macha
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:45 pm

Re: Yale 1L Tells All

Postby macha » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:00 am

Anyone have any thoughts on 1L housing? :)

User avatar
Elston Gunn
Posts: 3444
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Yale 1L Tells All

Postby Elston Gunn » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:35 am

macha wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on 1L housing? :)

Most common places are one of the Towers (Madison Towers, Crown Court, Crown Towers) or in East Rock. But there's certainly no need to leave in one of those places, and the Towers in particular are pricey. There are good spots in the Howe/Dwight area that are an easy walk to the school. There's a lot of nice stuff in Wooster Square too, though my perception is that's slightly more isolated.

User avatar
sneakyleo
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:24 pm

Re: Yale 1L Tells All

Postby sneakyleo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:23 pm

How is the career services office - for guidance, help with resumes/interviewing, help applying for/securing positions, etc.? Particularly interested in their assistance for PI/gov folks.

Thanks!

User avatar
Elston Gunn
Posts: 3444
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Yale 1L Tells All

Postby Elston Gunn » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:48 am

sneakyleo wrote:How is the career services office - for guidance, help with resumes/interviewing, help applying for/securing positions, etc.? Particularly interested in their assistance for PI/gov folks.

Thanks!

Someone else who's more PI-focused can hopefully give you a better answer, but they're generally bad, like everywhere. That said, the woman in charge PI hiring is generally the most liked and respected of the group, and as a group they're somewhat less complacent about everyone getting PI jobs than they are about firms.

User avatar
sneakyleo
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:24 pm

Re: Yale 1L Tells All

Postby sneakyleo » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:08 pm

Thanks!

Another quick question - it looks like winter break next year will be December 22-January 18. Does Yale have any programming during the winter (like Harvard does), or can one safely schedule a vacation during that time? Even if Yale doesn't have any official programming, are there any activities that many Yale students participate in during that month off (e.g. serving as a research assistant)?

User avatar
Cicero76
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: Yale 1L Tells All

Postby Cicero76 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:04 pm

sneakyleo wrote:Thanks!

Another quick question - it looks like winter break next year will be December 22-January 18. Does Yale have any programming during the winter (like Harvard does), or can one safely schedule a vacation during that time? Even if Yale doesn't have any official programming, are there any activities that many Yale students participate in during that month off (e.g. serving as a research assistant)?



I don't know anyone who does YLS stuff over Christmas break but I could be wrong.

User avatar
sneakyleo
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:24 pm

Re: Yale 1L Tells All

Postby sneakyleo » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:18 pm

Cicero76 wrote:
sneakyleo wrote:Thanks!

Another quick question - it looks like winter break next year will be December 22-January 18. Does Yale have any programming during the winter (like Harvard does), or can one safely schedule a vacation during that time? Even if Yale doesn't have any official programming, are there any activities that many Yale students participate in during that month off (e.g. serving as a research assistant)?



I don't know anyone who does YLS stuff over Christmas break but I could be wrong.


Okay, thank you!




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests