Law school in one state, taking bar in another: classes?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Hutz_and_Goodman

Law school in one state, taking bar in another: classes?

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:00 pm

Are classes like family law or trusts & estates sufficiently different from state to state that it doesn't make sense to take them out of state if you are planning to practice in another state?

I'm planning spring classes and it seems like it makes sense to get some bar material classes...

Anyone have recommendations of what to take?

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Law school in one state, taking bar in another: classes?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:07 pm

A lot of law schools don't really teach the local law of T&E or family law or the like, so I don't think you'd be learning stuff that would screw you on the bar exam, especially since the general principles will be pretty transferable anywhere.

mrsmartypants

Postby mrsmartypants » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:36 am

It's hard to give an optimal answer to the general question, because while the fundamental principles of bar-subject law are fairly common, for certain states and certain subjects there are significant divergences. For example, if you're taking the bar in a community property state but your wills/family law class doesn't teach CP, you're probably wasting your time.

If secured transactions is on your exam, that's probably a good choice, because I think just about every state has adopted UCC Article 9.

Evidence might be another good choice if you haven't already taken it, because it's on the MBE.

I wouldn't sweat it too hard, though. A good bar review course really will teach you the BLL you need for a particular state. I think I took classes in only about half of the state-specific subjects and it was NBD.

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:42 am

Take the classes. It will be similar enough to give you all of the basics, the policy arguments, the terminology, the various ways of doing things and then your bar review course will narrow that to the specifics you need to focus on. But don't take a class just because it's on the bar. Take things you want to use in practice.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”