Senior, K-JD. apply to corp. paralegal concurrently?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
prospect2014
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:34 pm

Senior, K-JD. apply to corp. paralegal concurrently?

Postby prospect2014 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:29 am

"elite" UG but not Ivy. I put elite in "" because for all its eliteness, it doesn't get too many MBB/IBD type employers to come on campus for formal OCI.

How do I get a corporate paralegal job? Just spam resume/cover letter?
When should I apply? I've seen Jan/Feb being floated around, or have I missed my window already?

GPA: Chi/Penn/VA median +/- a few
LSAT: 17# (include on resume?)
SAT: 23## (if anyone cares--put on resume?)

resume has a few positions pertinent to the law but not really.

gregfootball2001
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:35 am

Re: Senior, K-JD. apply to corp. paralegal concurrently?

Postby gregfootball2001 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:01 am

prospect2014 wrote:"elite" UG but not Ivy. I put elite in "" because for all its eliteness, it doesn't get too many MBB/IBD type employers to come on campus for formal OCI.

How do I get a corporate paralegal job? Just spam resume/cover letter?
When should I apply? I've seen Jan/Feb being floated around, or have I missed my window already?

GPA: Chi/Penn/VA median +/- a few
LSAT: 17# (include on resume?)
SAT: 23## (if anyone cares--put on resume?)

resume has a few positions pertinent to the law but not really.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm confused by your post.

You say you're going K-JD. Okay.
You also want to apply for paralegal jobs? Are you getting the JD part time?
If you have a high GPA and a 170+ LSAT, why the hell would you go part time?
If you're planning on working as a paralegal during 1L, I wouldn't recommend it. It's the most important year. It's possibly the most time consuming year (though fall 2L has been kinda brutal). Do well, get a 1L SA that pays. It's hard, but it happens.
I don't know that a firm would hire you as a paralegal for just a summer, if that's the plan - by the time they teach you anything, you'd be gone.
If I haven't hit what you're driving at, please clarify.

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: Senior, K-JD. apply to corp. paralegal concurrently?

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:17 am

gregfootball2001 wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I'm confused by your post.

You say you're going K-JD. Okay.
You also want to apply for paralegal jobs? Are you getting the JD part time?
If you have a high GPA and a 170+ LSAT, why the hell would you go part time?
If you're planning on working as a paralegal during 1L, I wouldn't recommend it. It's the most important year. It's possibly the most time consuming year (though fall 2L has been kinda brutal). Do well, get a 1L SA that pays. It's hard, but it happens.
I don't know that a firm would hire you as a paralegal for just a summer, if that's the plan - by the time they teach you anything, you'd be gone.
If I haven't hit what you're driving at, please clarify.


I may also be misinterpreting, but I am reading the K-JD as a statement that he is applying to law school from UG, and whether he ends up attending as a K-JD is TBD. I am also thinking he is applying to paralegal jobs concurrently to determine which makes more sense for at least the time being, provided job prospects and law school admissions/scholarships.

prospect2014
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:34 pm

Re: Senior, K-JD. apply to corp. paralegal concurrently?

Postby prospect2014 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:25 pm

Bedsole wrote:
gregfootball2001 wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I'm confused by your post.

You say you're going K-JD. Okay.
You also want to apply for paralegal jobs? Are you getting the JD part time?
If you have a high GPA and a 170+ LSAT, why the hell would you go part time?
If you're planning on working as a paralegal during 1L, I wouldn't recommend it. It's the most important year. It's possibly the most time consuming year (though fall 2L has been kinda brutal). Do well, get a 1L SA that pays. It's hard, but it happens.
I don't know that a firm would hire you as a paralegal for just a summer, if that's the plan - by the time they teach you anything, you'd be gone.
If I haven't hit what you're driving at, please clarify.


I may also be misinterpreting, but I am reading the K-JD as a statement that he is applying to law school from UG, and whether he ends up attending as a K-JD is TBD. I am also thinking he is applying to paralegal jobs concurrently to determine which makes more sense for at least the time being, provided job prospects and law school admissions/scholarships.


No you got it, it's concurrent applications

stickershocked
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:17 pm

Re: Senior, K-JD. apply to corp. paralegal concurrently?

Postby stickershocked » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:44 pm

To answer your question, yes just spam firm websites. Most will have a paralegel page with a contact.

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Senior, K-JD. apply to corp. paralegal concurrently?

Postby chuckbass » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:47 pm

I'm doing the same thing and most places it makes sense to wait until January/February.

prospect2014
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:34 pm

Re: Senior, K-JD. apply to corp. paralegal concurrently?

Postby prospect2014 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:19 pm

"it makes sense to wait until Jan/Feb"

meaning it's ok if you do, or you should do so?
and what's the method you're using? random emails of CL + Rez?

california2013
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:00 pm

Re: Senior, K-JD. apply to corp. paralegal concurrently?

Postby california2013 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:33 pm

prospect2014 wrote:"elite" UG but not Ivy. I put elite in "" because for all its eliteness, it doesn't get too many MBB/IBD type employers to come on campus for formal OCI.

How do I get a corporate paralegal job? Just spam resume/cover letter?
When should I apply? I've seen Jan/Feb being floated around, or have I missed my window already?

GPA: Chi/Penn/VA median +/- a few
LSAT: 17# (include on resume?)
SAT: 23## (if anyone cares--put on resume?)

resume has a few positions pertinent to the law but not really.


Check this FTC website for Honor paralegal

http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/oed/hrmo/hpp/index.shtm

Good luck

prospect2014
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:34 pm

Re: Senior, K-JD. apply to corp. paralegal concurrently?

Postby prospect2014 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:09 pm

california2013 wrote:
prospect2014 wrote:"elite" UG but not Ivy. I put elite in "" because for all its eliteness, it doesn't get too many MBB/IBD type employers to come on campus for formal OCI.

How do I get a corporate paralegal job? Just spam resume/cover letter?
When should I apply? I've seen Jan/Feb being floated around, or have I missed my window already?

GPA: Chi/Penn/VA median +/- a few
LSAT: 17# (include on resume?)
SAT: 23## (if anyone cares--put on resume?)

resume has a few positions pertinent to the law but not really.


Check this FTC website for Honor paralegal

http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/oed/hrmo/hpp/index.shtm

Good luck


thanks but not interested in that stuff. more like V10 etc

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Senior, K-JD. apply to corp. paralegal concurrently?

Postby midwest17 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:22 pm

prospect2014 wrote:SAT: 23## (if anyone cares--put on resume?)


No.

No no no.

No.

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: Senior, K-JD. apply to corp. paralegal concurrently?

Postby Dr. Review » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:13 pm

midwest17 wrote:
prospect2014 wrote:SAT: 23## (if anyone cares--put on resume?)


No.

No no no.

No.


Image --ImageRemoved--

prospect2014
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:34 pm

Re: Senior, K-JD. apply to corp. paralegal concurrently?

Postby prospect2014 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:33 pm

ok let me see if I got this down correctly:

1. corp firms looking for paralegals don't usually come to UG OCI.
2. the best way to get these jobs is to mass mail cover letter + resume
3. it's mid-nov now, but it's not too late, since most of the hiring happens in the spring, and applying in Jan/Feb is a good time to do that

what are these consortia everyone keeps talking about?

splat232
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:27 pm

Re: Senior, K-JD. apply to corp. paralegal concurrently?

Postby splat232 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:47 pm

.
Last edited by splat232 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RemyMarathe
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:08 pm

Re: Senior, K-JD. apply to corp. paralegal concurrently?

Postby RemyMarathe » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:00 am

Just another data point, I worked at a biglaw firm that filled its jr. paralegal positions mostly May-August, though this was in a secondary market.

Something that will speed up your job search is to stop searching for paralegal positions and focus on looking for legal assistant, case assistant, project assistant, etc. Firms use these titles for their programs that take fresh college grads, have them work for year or two, and then they either go to law school, become actual paralegals, or decide they hate law.

If you're looking for corp work in NYC, they tend to require a two year commitment. I hear it's best go through a recruiter for NY jobs. Otherwise, just resume bomb the whole V100.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Senior, K-JD. apply to corp. paralegal concurrently?

Postby hephaestus » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:15 am

I got a V100 legal assistant position from a posting on my UG career services posted in June (so just after graduation). It was just a resume collect style thing. Just keep your eyes open for formal recruiting/firm websites/resume collects in the spring semester.

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: Senior, K-JD. apply to corp. paralegal concurrently?

Postby Dr. Review » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:19 am

Law school classmate landed one at S&C via mass mail after undergrad.

notalobbyist
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:25 pm

Re: Senior, K-JD. apply to corp. paralegal concurrently?

Postby notalobbyist » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:19 pm

If you put your SAT scores, make sure to put all your AP classes and any varsity sports/competitive clubs you were part of in HS, it would be weird to include your SAT score out of context. Don't worry if your resume goes over 2 pages, its HRs job to read resumes.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cavalier1138 and 3 guests