Biglaw Food & Meals

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
scifiguy

Biglaw Food & Meals

Postby scifiguy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:38 pm

I've read in the past that biglaw firms have their own cafeterias, which stay open quite late. ...What are these cafeterias like? Are they 24 hour places? What type of food do they serve? Do most associates eat on-site? How long are meal breaks? Do people often go out and eat instead?

Can you bring your own snacks to the firm? Would it be frowned upon to have like a big candy stash in your office? What is the food etiquette generally like (e.g., eating in office while doing work OK?)? Feel free to discuss anything and everything related to biglaw food and meals.

hichvichwoh

Re: Biglaw Food & Meals

Postby hichvichwoh » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:13 pm

not an associate, but my impression was that people eat at their desks so that they can bill during lunch?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:40 pm

i think this thread, instead of whatever OP said, should discuss the tax implications of these meals. for the convenience of the employer, amirite?

deebanger

Postby deebanger » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:51 pm

interested in this too

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:01 am

I eat at my desk sometimes, either go downstairs and pick something up or bring something from home. No one cares, I just close my door so everyone walking past doesn't see me stuffing my face.

Sometimes I have to get out of the office, or someone wants to go to lunch.

Basically, you're an adult. Get your work done and no one will care.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:13 am

kalvano wrote:I eat at my desk sometimes, either go downstairs and pick something up or bring something from home. No one cares, I just close my door so everyone walking past doesn't see me stuffing my face.

you got your own office bro as a first year? sick. congrats

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:22 am

jbagelboy wrote:
kalvano wrote:I eat at my desk sometimes, either go downstairs and pick something up or bring something from home. No one cares, I just close my door so everyone walking past doesn't see me stuffing my face.

I was fully expecting a Mike Ross cubicle. Then I realized the enormous amount of papers I have to spread out on my desk.

justinp

Postby justinp » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:49 am

jbagelboy wrote:

Totally standard outside of NYC. A shared office is one more indignity you heap upon yourself by deciding to work there. Flee while you still can.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:10 am

scifiguy wrote:I've read in the past that biglaw firms have their own cafeterias, which stay open quite late. ...What are these cafeterias like? Are they 24 hour places? What type of food do they serve? Do most associates eat on-site? How long are meal breaks? Do people often go out and eat instead?

Can you bring your own snacks to the firm? Would it be frowned upon to have like a big candy stash in your office? What is the food etiquette generally like (e.g., eating in office while doing work OK?)? Feel free to discuss anything and everything related to biglaw food and meals.

Large headquarters type offices often have cafeterias, but it's probably more common across the industry not to.

The cafeterias tend to be pretty nice - firms are privately owned businesses run by people with egos and/or sense of entitlement, so it's not quite "spare no expense" but they're not exactly your middle school lunch room either.

At busy firms, I'd say "sad desk salad" is the norm - even if there's seating space in the cafeteria it's unlikely to be regularly used by the associates, if only because of the unpredictability of the work flow.

At big firms seamless web paid for by the firm and/or client is often an option for associates staying late to work, which can be nice.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:52 am

thesealocust wrote:
scifiguy wrote:I've read in the past that biglaw firms have their own cafeterias, which stay open quite late. ...What are these cafeterias like? Are they 24 hour places? What type of food do they serve? Do most associates eat on-site? How long are meal breaks? Do people often go out and eat instead?

Large headquarters type offices often have cafeterias, but it's probably more common across the industry not to.

The cafeterias tend to be pretty nice - firms are privately owned businesses run by people with egos and/or sense of entitlement, so it's not quite "spare no expense" but they're not exactly your middle school lunch room either.

At busy firms, I'd say "sad desk salad" is the norm - even if there's seating space in the cafeteria it's unlikely to be regularly used by the associates, if only because of the unpredictability of the work flow.

At big firms seamless web paid for by the firm and/or client is often an option for associates staying late to work, which can be nice.

This. Keep in mind that unlike outside lunch places, the firm is not trying to make a profit off of your buying a lunch (and unless I'm mistaken the firm can deduct 20% of the expense), so the price of the food is generally fairly good compared to what it would be somewhere else. I generally pay $6-7 for a full meal.

scifiguy

Postby scifiguy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:53 pm

thesealocust wrote:At big firms seamless web paid for by the firm and/or client is often an option for associates staying late to work, which can be nice.

What did you mean by the above, thesealocust?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:17 pm

scifiguy wrote:
thesealocust wrote:At big firms seamless web paid for by the firm and/or client is often an option for associates staying late to work, which can be nice.

you dont know seamless web? google it

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:34 pm

scifiguy wrote:

At many/most large firms in large markets, if you work past X o'clock and/or have billed Y hours or are working on a non-business day, you can order a meal via seamless web (or local alternative) which will pick up and deliver takeout food from a wide array of restaurants in a reasonable time frame. The firm (or client) will pick up the tab.

Example: A crazy new deal comes in at 4:00 on a Friday. TheSeaLocust is very sad so he presses the "render unto TheSeaLocust bacon-wrapped pineapple" button he has bookmarked and lo, 20 minutes later TheSeaLocust is somewhat less sad.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:44 pm

I only had to order dinner a few times as an SA, but it is pretty fun going downstairs at about 8pm. In my building, there was always a small army of delivery guys waiting in the lobby for the attorneys/hedge fund guys/etc to come down and get their Seamless food.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:33 pm

shock259 wrote:I only had to order dinner a few times as an SA, but it is pretty fun going downstairs at about 8pm. In my building, there was always a small army of delivery guys waiting in the lobby for the attorneys/hedge fund guys/etc to come down and get their Seamless food.

We get it delivered to our individual offices. My firm just employs a small army of internal delivery guys who pick it up from downstairs. Everything to keep those billable minutes ticking.

scifiguy

Postby scifiguy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:12 am

I've read somewhere that biglaw also provides free taxi service home for associates as well (esp. useful for those long and late-night work sessions where driving home may be dangerous). Is this true of most firms?

I know there are gyms and showers in the firms as well. What about laundry, daycare, a television room, bowling alley, library or recreational/relaxation area? What other interesting things do they provide to keep you guys tethered and comfortable at the office?

Sorry for the random and off-topic questions...I figured since we're discussing biglaw amenities and lifestyle that I might as well throw in a few questions of the sort.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:10 am

scifiguy wrote:I've read somewhere that biglaw also provides free taxi service home for associates as well (esp. useful for those long and late-night work sessions where driving home may be dangerous). Is this true of most firms?

I know there are gyms and showers in the firms as well. What about laundry, daycare, a television room, bowling alley, library or recreational/relaxation area? What other interesting things do they provide to keep you guys tethered and comfortable at the office?

Sorry for the random and off-topic questions...I figured since we're discussing biglaw amenities and lifestyle that I might as well throw in a few questions of the sort.

im not sure under what circumstances driving would be dangerous yet taxis would be the magic solution. Unless, there's a roving mob looking to destroy your car personally, it's usually in instances where the person would otherwise commute home.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:44 am

stillwater wrote:
scifiguy wrote:I've read somewhere that biglaw also provides free taxi service home for associates as well (esp. useful for those long and late-night work sessions where driving home may be dangerous). Is this true of most firms?

im not sure under what circumstances driving would be dangerous yet taxis would be the magic solution. Unless, there's a roving mob looking to destroy your car personally, it's usually in instances where the person would otherwise commute home.

The obvious implication is due to exhaustion, though that's a stretch since the service is available well before exhaustion would be a primary concern. I imagine car services are much more common for people working in cities where public transportation is the de facto choice - it probably originated in NYC. A car service home is much less useful if you're leaving your car at work, neh? And there safety is a real concern (rational or otherwise) since taking the subway/metro/whatever home at 2am is an entirely different animal from driving home at 2am.

To be more responsive, yes car services are real especially at major firms in major markets (and yes it's a shiny black car service, not reimbursement for a cab). That's basically it as far as discussion worthy perks go at most firms - coffee, meals, transportation home, and a comical salary for an untrained law grad. Constant streams of work/billables are too important for you to see something like a true rec room or much emphasis put on spending time engaged in activities which aren't the zealous representation of clients ;)

Postby 2014 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:55 am

What sort of coffee does your firm provide TSL?

shock259

Postby shock259 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:15 am

Free taxis/car service after 8 at my firm (NYC). Basically, if you stay late enough to get dinner, you can catch a cab home on the firm's dime.

I think your image of firms is a bit off. This places are not Google. They're run by old, conservative partners. I cannot imagine a law firm with a bowling alley in NYC.

Gyms vary. Many firms have them, many don't. Mine does not. Yes to shower and library (every firm has a library). No to laundry, daycare, television room (but there are ~1 million dry cleaners per square block in NYC, so a non-issue). Oh, but we had a "Wellness Room." It was basically just an odd assortment of random furniture in an old office. We joked about it frequently with the associates, none of whom were aware that it existed or what purpose it was actually serving.

Firms want to make you comfortable, yes. But more importantly, they want you to bill. A bowling alley, a TV room, etc are not going to help your billables.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:32 am

2014 wrote:What sort of coffee does your firm provide TSL?

Don't work for a firm; couldn't tell ya.

Postby 2014 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:03 am

thesealocust wrote:

Aw I was hoping to gauge how prestigious of a coffee big firms chose

Void

Postby Void » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:12 am

I know this thread is about biglaw and I work for the state, so there is no cafeteria or free coffee or anything, but I just wanted to brag that I have my own corner office with a window! I eat in my office. Usually get a sandwich or salad from down the street.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:14 am

Void wrote:I know this thread is about biglaw and I work for the state, so there is no cafeteria or free coffee or anything, but I just wanted to brag that I have my own corner office with a window! I eat in my office. Usually get a sandwich or salad from down the street.

big office lawl

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:30 am

2014 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

Aw I was hoping to gauge how prestigious of a coffee big firms chose

I don't know what blend mine uses, but it's top-fucking-notch. It should be a floggable offense to sully it with cream or sugar.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”