Question about law transfers to NY T-14 schools

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
majorsplit2012

Question about law transfers to NY T-14 schools

Postby majorsplit2012 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:05 am

I had some difficulties in my college career, and hadn't thought about law school, unfortunately, until 3 years ago, when there was already damage done to my transcript.

My LSAC gpa will be 2.3/2.4 (awful, awful) and I have already taken the LSAT and scored a 175. However, I am now scoring at 178 on diagnostics and plan on retaking in Feb. or June to apply to Fall 14 cycle.

So gpa: 2.4 at best /175 LSAT already (with potential to raise to 178)

Despite the LSAT score to offset the gpa the best I could....probably the only best schools I can probably get into are outside the Top 20 or 25. I know some are going to think that I am delusional, but I just wish early on in my college career, I knew I wanted to go to law school and could have just withdrawn from gpa killing classes, but I still have a dream about NY biglaw.

So with the 2.4/already earned 175 (and my goal of raising to 178), if I am lucky, maybe at best a school in the late 20s will take a chance on me to boost their LSAT medians. Especially since I have a legit gpa addendum that will convey the roadblocks I had (and not at all for being a slacker)

Now, if by chance a Top 30 school will accept me. Is it impossible to transfer from a Tier 1, Top 30 school into schools like Columbia, NYU, or Cornell if you have stellar 1L performance.

Everyone says don't go to law school with the dream of transferring since it rarely works out, but there's no way I can ever get into one of those schools with all the damage done to the gpa. And I will make sure if I get accepted to a Top 30 school or so, that I will be happy graduating from the particular school.

But my questions regarding transferring are: 1). Is it easier to transfer to T14, from a Top 30 school, then say a Tier 2, Tier 3, or does it not matter that much? 2). If by chance you have an excellent 1L ranking from say a Top 30, I realize they take your UGPA and LSAT into consideration, but do you think Columbia, NYU, or other T 14 ever accepted someone with excellent 1L performance that had an abysmal UGPA (even though they act like that no longer matters)?

Tiago Splitter

Re: Question about law transfers to NY T-14 schools

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:34 pm

Just go to Northwestern. They place plenty into NY Biglaw, and you don't have to finish in the top of your class to get it like you would at pretty much any other school that would accept you. No need to retake unless you just want a personal challenge.

If you end up at a lower ranked school strong performance will allow you to transfer to CLS or NYU. But this strategy is much riskier than just going to Northwestern.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:30 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Just go to Northwestern. They place plenty into NY Biglaw, and you don't have to finish in the top of your class to get it like you would at pretty much any other school that would accept you. No need to retake unless you just want a personal challenge.

If you end up at a lower ranked school strong performance will allow you to transfer to CLS or NYU. But this strategy is much riskier than just going to Northwestern.

This. You're in at Northwestern with that LSAT. Seriously, last year 5/5 people with GPA 2.2-2.5 and LSAT 170-173 got in. Assuming they don't change their admissions policy this cycle, you're set.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:09 am

Don't go with the intent to transfer.

That being said - fuck transfers to CLS. They fuck up EIP.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:48 am

Before discovering TLS, I heard anecdotes about how transfers to specifically CLS (although this applies to almost all law schools) have a dark mark at OCI since they don't have the same 1L transcript as the competition. Additionally, I've been told by a V10 recruiter that they treat all T14 candidates with about equal weight, and outside of the T14, they only take people at the very top of the class. TLS agrees with this to some degree and LST backs it up, although there is still not a lot of data about transfers.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:56 am

jingosaur wrote:Before discovering TLS, I heard anecdotes about how transfers to specifically CLS (although this applies to almost all law schools) have a dark mark at OCI since they don't have the same 1L transcript as the competition. Additionally, I've been told by a V10 recruiter that they treat all T14 candidates with about equal weight, and outside of the T14, they only take people at the very top of the class. TLS agrees with this to some degree and LST backs it up, although there is still not a lot of data about transfers.

At CLS, from what I've heard/noticed, the large transfer class gets 1) the benefit of calling themselves Columbia students despite never having attended a Columbia class, and 2) top 10% grades (Since that's whats required to get in). So they aren't very well liked, they do very well, & they skew the EIP data upwards

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:15 am

How did this turn into a CLS transfer bashing thread?

CLS transfers do very well at EIP (see the random animosity of the poster above as proof - DEY TOOK OUR JERBS). I don't know about this year, but last year, every transfer secured biglaw SA (that wanted it). Most of us had plenty of offers to chose from. Employers like transfers because we have Columbia on our resume, we work hard, and we are willing to make sacrifices for our careers. Also, if you can transfer into Columbia, odds are decent that your grades from your 1L school were good enough to put you in the ballpark of competitive with big firms anyway.

So, no, I was not viewed negatively by any EIP employers for being a transfer. Transferred and I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Per the original post, go to NW and don't look back. You'll have a great chance at biglaw from there. Transferring up within the T14 doesn't really make sense, outside of very specific reasons (IE person reasons for relocating, academia).

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:46 pm

shock259 wrote:How did this turn into a CLS transfer bashing thread?

CLS transfers do very well at EIP (see the random animosity of the poster above as proof - DEY TOOK OUR JERBS). I don't know about this year, but last year, every transfer secured biglaw SA (that wanted it). Most of us had plenty of offers to chose from. Employers like transfers because we have Columbia on our resume, we work hard, and we are willing to make sacrifices for our careers. Also, if you can transfer into Columbia, odds are decent that your grades from your 1L school were good enough to put you in the ballpark of competitive with big firms anyway.

So, no, I was not viewed negatively by any EIP employers for being a transfer. Transferred and I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Per the original post, go to NW and don't look back. You'll have a great chance at biglaw from there. Transferring up within the T14 doesn't really make sense, outside of very specific reasons (IE person reasons for relocating, academia).

Yeup.

I have no animosity towards individual transfer students. I'm just saying transfers do very well at EIP, and they inflate our numbers a little relative to the actual number of CLS 1L's who will get NLJ250 SA's

majorsplit2012

Postby majorsplit2012 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:54 pm

I was wondering, on the topic of transferring to NYU or Columbia from a Tier 1 Law School (or Top 30) school, if you have excellent 1L performance (say top 5%) do you have a shot at transferring to either one? I know they say that 1L performance is the most important factor, but if you have a sub 3.0 undergrad gpa, will that nullify you, regardless of doing well 1L?

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:15 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Yeup.

I have no animosity towards individual transfer students. I'm just saying transfers do very well at EIP, and they inflate our numbers a little relative to the actual number of CLS 1L's who will get NLJ250 SA's

Fair fair. I may have jumped the gun a bit. There's some random animosity lurking towards the transfers, so I tend to speak up when I catch glimpses.

majorsplit2012 wrote:I was wondering, on the topic of transferring to NYU or Columbia from a Tier 1 Law School (or Top 30) school, if you have excellent 1L performance (say top 5%) do you have a shot at transferring to either one? I know they say that 1L performance is the most important factor, but if you have a sub 3.0 undergrad gpa, will that nullify you, regardless of doing well 1L?

Not sure I quite understand. If you end up in the top 5% at a T1, you'll be competitive for a spot as a transfer at Columbia/NYU/Penn/Mich/NW. Duke only takes a couple of transfers, and UVA (basically) only takes VA residents.

No one cares about your undergrad GPA or LSAT when you transfer. Those are (rough) attempts to gauge how well you'll do in law school. By performing well 1L, you've already shown them that you can handle it. Some people say that Harvard weighs whether or not you could have been accepted as a 1L, but a lot of people don't think it is true. I don't know enough about it to really comment. But I don't know of any other schools that do. CLS would have laughed at me as a 1L but took me as a transfer.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”