Future PD - Internship at EEOC?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
midwest17

Future PD - Internship at EEOC?

Postby midwest17 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:50 am

I'm a 0L, applying to schools this cycle. I'm considering applying for an internship at the EEOC for the summer between UG and law school. I have a strong desire to end up as a public defender, though (and have some related work experience). I know that work viewed as "prosecution side" is a big negative in PD hiring - does working at the EEOC (which is obviously enforcement, although not criminal prosecution) qualify as working for the dark side? My personal reasons for wanting to be a PD don't conflict with the EEOC, but I realize that doesn't necessarily mean it won't matter to someone who's hiring.

Or, when it comes time to start applying for PD internships in law school and jobs after graduation, is this the sort of thing I could leave off my resume entirely and thus it doesn't really matter?

gaud

Re: Future PD - Internship at EEOC?

Postby gaud » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:57 pm

What will you be doing with the EEOC? They have plenty of internships that are not considered "prosecutorial"

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:38 pm

EEOC is fine.

Void

Postby Void » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:11 pm

EEOC is totally fine. Sure, it's "enforcement," but it's enforcing labor laws against employers- you can easily spin it in a PD interview as falling in line with your general interest in "protecting the rights of the oppressed" or whatevs.

Just don't do any internships with prosecutors, show interest in being a police officer, stay clear of any victim's advocacy, etc.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:09 pm

gaud wrote:What will you be doing with the EEOC? They have plenty of internships that are not considered "prosecutorial"

The internship involves working with attorneys who are litigating cases against employers.

Void wrote:EEOC is totally fine. Sure, it's "enforcement," but it's enforcing labor laws against employers- you can easily spin it in a PD interview as falling in line with your general interest in "protecting the rights of the oppressed" or whatevs.

Just don't do any internships with prosecutors, show interest in being a police officer, stay clear of any victim's advocacy, etc.

Cool, thanks. That's how I was thinking about it, but I was worried about PDs lumping it in with "the government."

Void

Postby Void » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:25 pm

midwest17 wrote:
gaud wrote:What will you be doing with the EEOC? They have plenty of internships that are not considered "prosecutorial"

The internship involves working with attorneys who are litigating cases against employers.

Void wrote:EEOC is totally fine. Sure, it's "enforcement," but it's enforcing labor laws against employers- you can easily spin it in a PD interview as falling in line with your general interest in "protecting the rights of the oppressed" or whatevs.

Cool, thanks. That's how I was thinking about it, but I was worried about PDs lumping it in with "the government."

Remember, public defenders also work for "the government." :)

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:26 pm

Uh, most of the people at the EEOC would work for the PD/defense side if they did crim law. A lot of plaintiff's employment discrim firms do crim defense too, especially when civil rights are implicated. I am having trouble of thinking of any reasons anyone would want to work for the EEOC that are not in line with what PDs are generally looking for.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”