2.25/175 LSAT Question

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
majorsplit2012

2.25/175 LSAT Question

Postby majorsplit2012 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:36 pm

1). Took the LSAT, twice. Have two scores....170 and 175. Debating I should exhaust my last one?

2). Although I know my scores for LSAT, I don't know my exact LSAC gpa as of yet. I calculated everything and it came to about 2.39 or 2.4. Why do I say 2.2-2.3 in the title? Because I am still not sure if LSAC will count a couple of my courses as remedials, even though they are in the 10001 course range.

3). The low gpa was not due to slacking or lack of effort. Had trouble earlier on taking tests and test anxiety and when the negative grades are on there earlier on, it can be difficult to rectify. I don't have test anxiety anymore.

4). I have a 3 semester upward trend ... Spring 2012, Summer 2012, Fall 2012....50 credit hours taken all together with a 3.77 gpa.

5). I have WE, unfortunately not post graduation. Started college, took time off in between and worked, and finished.

6). I am 29 years old and don't want to put off law school and work 1-2 years. If I apply Fall 2014,
with worst case scenario...2.25 LSAC gpa/175 LSAT, will any Top 50 schools bite, especially regional ones where I am interested in practicing, if I apply broadly? Will a 50 credit hour, 3 semester upward trend help 1%

7). I went to law school predictor and it said some 20 schools were a consider, but is lsp even accurate? especially if you enter in 0.5 for gpa and 175 and it still has top 100 schools say consider.

elterrible78

Re: 2.25/175 LSAT Question

Postby elterrible78 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:55 pm

majorsplit2012 wrote:1). Took the LSAT, twice. Have two scores....170 and 175. Debating I should exhaust my last one?

2). Although I know my scores for LSAT, I don't know my exact LSAC gpa as of yet. I calculated everything and it came to about 2.39 or 2.4. Why do I say 2.2-2.3 in the title? Because I am still not sure if LSAC will count a couple of my courses as remedials, even though they are in the 10001 course range.

3). The low gpa was not due to slacking or lack of effort. Had trouble earlier on taking tests and test anxiety and when the negative grades are on there earlier on, it can be difficult to rectify. I don't have test anxiety anymore.

4). I have a 3 semester upward trend ... Spring 2012, Summer 2012, Fall 2012....50 credit hours taken all together with a 3.77 gpa.

5). I have WE, unfortunately not post graduation. Started college, took time off in between and worked, and finished.

6). I am 29 years old and don't want to put off law school and work 1-2 years. If I apply Fall 2014,
with worst case scenario...2.25 LSAC gpa/175 LSAT, will any Top 50 schools bite, especially regional ones where I am interested in practicing, if I apply broadly? Will a 50 credit hour, 3 semester upward trend help 1%

7). I went to law school predictor and it said some 20 schools were a consider, but is lsp even accurate? especially if you enter in 0.5 for gpa and 175 and it still has top 100 schools say consider.

1. I wouldn't retake if I were you. You're already above most schools' 75th percentile. The meaningful difference between a 175 and anything above it for admissions purposes is, I'm pretty sure, very negligible, especially when you're working with that GPA.

2 - 6. These all basically deal with the upward trend and WE. The upward trend works in your favor but, honestly, with a 2.3 or 2.4 GPA, it's probably not going to make a huge difference. I get not wanting to take any time off. If the time off were going to be to increase your LSAT from a 160 to a 170 or something, I'd say suck it up and take the time off. But at age 29, I'm not sure a couple years' extra WE is going to make any difference, there's nothing you can do about that GPA, and like I said before, your LSAT score is fantastic already. You could probably get someone in the top 50 to bite, but make sure if nothing else it's a top 50 school in a region that you're comfortable practicing.

7. LSP works, I'm pretty sure, off indexes (both published by schools and concocted by LSP) which take into account both your GPA and LSAT scores. Because your LSAT is so high, you could probably put a GPA of 0 in and still end up as a "consider" at some of those schools because your LSAT brings your index value up so much. For the kind of stuff you're trying to use LSP for, you're about a zillion times better off (especially given your particular circumstances) to use mylsn.info.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

daleearnhardt123

Postby daleearnhardt123 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:19 am

I think you're very competitive for a lot of good schools, but you're going to have to go out of your way to make contact with admissions officers and establish a relationship.

Admissions officers drool over 175s unless theyre working at stanford or yale, and I'm quite sure a number of very good schools would consider admitting you. But they're not going to do that unless they can confidently say that they're not going to end up looking like a fool for admitting someone with (what I suppose in their eyes will look like) someone with *NO* work ethic.

Id say you should not only be on the phone with a handful of admissions officers at schools you are most interested in, but you should be thinking about making trips to those schools as well for some kind of personalized "tour" (which you will then use as an opportunity to establish some rapport).

Additionally, I dont think there's anything that the law school prediction sites (even mylsn) can tell you, because the sample size of people who who apply and go to law school with your kind of stats is close to zero.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:33 am

I just ran these numbers at the source, and it looks like, roughly speaking, you're competitive at schools ranked about 30-50, and you have good odds on anything 50-100. Schools in the 15-30 range are going to be a bit of a reach, but you have some chance at those as well. So LSP is not lying... you're talking about a low probability at any given school in the 15-30 range, but if you apply to a lot of them, you have a decent chance. LSAC thinks you have basically zero chance at Cornell, so I wouldn't get your hopes up on the t14, though.

You'd be an extreme splitter (very high LSAT score, very low GPA), and the conventional wisdom on splitters is that it's a little hard to predict what's going to happen, because it depends on what admissions officers believe. You're writing a GPA addendum for sure, explaining basically what you explained here and pointing to the upward trend as you figured it out, and it depends on how many people buy it.

I do think that taking time in the middle of college and doing much better when you returned will help your case. You'll have just about the best GPA addendum possible. But you'll still have a GPA addendum and be an extreme splitter, so it's hard to know.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:01 pm

You're probably in at Northwestern and almost certainly in at places like WUSTL, Minnesota, and GW. Chances are your decision will be between Northwestern at full price and not going at all, but it's possible a place like WUSTL will once again throw big money at anyone with a high LSAT regardless of GPA.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:08 pm

Welcome to NU... we love people like you.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:40 pm

tomwatts wrote:I just ran these numbers at the source, and it looks like, roughly speaking, you're competitive at schools ranked about 30-50, and you have good odds on anything 50-100.

Tom, LSAC's predictor is essentially worthless. Don't base your advice off of any results it returns.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”