Women in Big Law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
yankeesjn

Women in Big Law

Postby yankeesjn » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:44 pm

Someone told me that if you're looking to get into big law, being a woman is an advantage. Is it a known thing that women are given an advantage when applying to these jobs?

Thank you

rinkrat19

Re: Women in Big Law

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:47 pm

Maybe slightly, to get your foot in the door. A lot of firms have been hiring more women than men in recent years because they're trying to fix the dearth of female partners. (I think it's like 15% nationwide.) However, women leave biglaw at even higher rates than men do.

yankeesjn

Postby yankeesjn » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:49 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Maybe slightly, to get your foot in the door. A lot of firms have been hiring more women than men in recent years because they're trying to fix the dearth of female partners. (I think it's like 15% nationwide.) However, women leave biglaw at even higher rates than men do.

You mean the amount of women they hire is 15% more than the amount of men?

yankeesjn

Postby yankeesjn » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:50 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Maybe slightly, to get your foot in the door. A lot of firms have been hiring more women than men in recent years because they're trying to fix the dearth of female partners. (I think it's like 15% nationwide.) However, women leave biglaw at even higher rates than men do.

Or you mean nationwide it's only 15% of partners who are women?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:51 pm

yankeesjn wrote:

This is what she means.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:57 pm

yankeesjn wrote:

Yes. Women may start out as 55% of the summer hires or whatever, but they leave biglaw at faster rates than men throughout the biglaw career path, so by the time you get to the partner level, only a few women are left. And there's some miniscule number of female managing partners (I want to say it's single digits, but could be making that up.)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”