Currently enrolled in masters in Electrical Engineering.

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dsteiber

Currently enrolled in masters in Electrical Engineering.

Postby dsteiber » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:47 pm

Hey! If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it! I enrolled in my masters degree for Electrical Engineering, but I know I don't want to do engineering for the rest of my life. I would like to pursue IP law. It's been a very tough decision for me to go back to law school when it has a price tag of 200k. So I decided to enroll in a masters EE program to give me a few years to decide if law is really for me (the ENTIRE masters degree will cost around 15k). I'm unclear if this was the correct decision and I wonder if I should have just took the plunge and went to law school. by the time I am done with my masters, I could have almost been done with my law degree.

So I suppose my question is, will my masters degree actually help my law degree (I'm sure it will to some extent, but what I'm asking is if it's worth it)? Or should I just drop the masters and take the LSATS and apply for next fall? ... Also will the two W's now on my transcript adversely affect my application?

I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say!! Thanks =)

hiima3L

Re: Currently enrolled in masters in Electrical Engineering.

Postby hiima3L » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:08 pm

dsteiber wrote:Hey! If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it! I enrolled in my masters degree for Electrical Engineering, but I know I don't want to do engineering for the rest of my life. I would like to pursue IP law. It's been a very tough decision for me to go back to law school when it has a price tag of 200k. So I decided to enroll in a masters EE program to give me a few years to decide if law is really for me (the ENTIRE masters degree will cost around 15k). I'm unclear if this was the correct decision and I wonder if I should have just took the plunge and went to law school. by the time I am done with my masters, I could have almost been done with my law degree.

So I suppose my question is, will my masters degree actually help my law degree (I'm sure it will to some extent, but what I'm asking is if it's worth it)? Or should I just drop the masters and take the LSATS and apply for next fall? ... Also will the two W's now on my transcript adversely affect my application?

I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say!! Thanks =)

It will help tremendously. If you get into a decent school, you will almost certainly get a great job.

Everyone know with a EECS degree had no trouble finding a job.

jbagelboy

Re: Currently enrolled in masters in Electrical Engineering.

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:58 pm

If you go to a T20, or even in some cases T30 school, you should be able to break into patent/IP work at a large firm. People greatly overperform at OCI relative to their non-STEM peers.

the MA in EE is not a total waste.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”