Undergraduate law society Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ghostofdreams

New

Undergraduate law society

Post by ghostofdreams » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:30 pm

What up! I'm gonna start an undergraduate law society at my school. A part of me thinks this is a waste of time, another part says do it, as it may bear out actual value. The concept of a law society, a club, if you will, at the school may be difficult to put into action, because the question I am running into is, how do you stimulate the kids?

The only fun thing I can think of doing is visiting some of the local law schools. Of course, we will talk about preparation, to what degree, I don't know. LSAT prep won't be too hard to discuss . . . then again, I run into the problem of how much boredom can the kids tolerate? Bringing in speakers may be another activity. However, if anybody has helpful suggestions as to what to do, how to do it, perhaps, post it here. This is, of course, an open question that can be answered by anyone, but getting the views of current and past law school students, in terms of how a UG law society had or would have helped them, seems the way to go. Thanks.

btw, I've been lurking the forums. I think this is a great resource and I will certainly recommend this site.

Hipster but Athletic

Gold

Re: Undergraduate law society

Post by Hipster but Athletic » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:34 pm

Why would you want to go through the work of setting up something like this?

Hipster but Athletic

Gold

Post by Hipster but Athletic » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:35 pm

If you want to see speakers, just go to a law school --they'll have tons of speakers with free food, and nobody will know your face or care. In fact, they'll be happy you're there.

Hipster but Athletic

Gold

Post by Hipster but Athletic » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:36 pm

The great thing about law school admissions, unlike med school, is you don't need to engage in crap-resume building. Law firms will care about your actual experience, not shit like this.

ghostofdreams

New

Post by ghostofdreams » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:43 pm

For one thing, meeting people with similar goals is motivating, to me it is. Next, it's to explore the question, like some may have, if law school is the path to take. And you mention visiting law schools--here is the great thing about starting a student club, and that is funding. Being strapped for cash, as I am, having the resources to visit the law schools, as well as buy books, may be worth starting a club. The last thing I want to put on a resume is that I was in an undergrad law society lol. That's like saying you want to be a politician, isn't it? Which, if that's your goal, then you may find like-minded people in our club. Who knows.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hipster but Athletic

Gold

Post by Hipster but Athletic » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:45 pm

I guarantee that the people who will join your club will not motivate you.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:46 pm

I really don't know what to think about you calling your peers 'kids.' Are you an non-traditional UG student?

ghostofdreams

New

Post by ghostofdreams » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:48 pm

t-14orbust wrote:I really don't know what to think about you calling your peers 'kids.' Are you an non-traditional UG student?

I realize this is text, so tongue in cheek may not translate.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:50 pm

ghostofdreams wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:I really don't know what to think about you calling your peers 'kids.' Are you an non-traditional UG student?

Alright I think I see the south park reference now lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ghostofdreams

New

Post by ghostofdreams » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:57 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
ghostofdreams wrote:

South Park reference? Sweet, nothing quite like referencing something by accident.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:58 pm

ghostofdreams wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:
ghostofdreams wrote:

South Park reference? Sweet, nothing quite like referencing something by accident.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXNj2BobjJ4

ghostofdreams

New

Post by ghostofdreams » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:09 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXNj2BobjJ4[/quote]

LOL, that's me right now, except for the successful ending of course. "How do I reach these kids?!"

This is kind of the truth, though. I am not used to organizing such things, and if the situation is right, I will relinquish any "leadership" position I may have with the group. This way, I will not be blamed for sinking the ship, if that will happen. Actually, I don't know, I'll see how it goes.

Hipster but Athletic

Gold

Post by Hipster but Athletic » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:32 pm

I wasn't suggesting visiting multiple schools --just go to the law school on campus, or whichever one is closest. And if you're broke, get a job. No way the time it takes to set this up and sit in meetings * minimum wage < cost of visiting local LS

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ghostofdreams

New

Post by ghostofdreams » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:49 pm

Hipster but Athletic wrote:I wasn't suggesting visiting multiple schools --just go to the law school on campus, or whichever one is closest. And if you're broke, get a job. No way the time it takes to set this up and sit in meetings * minimum wage < cost of visiting local LS

Your suggestion to get a job and lone-wolf it is so antithetical to what I had in mind, which is to game the student-group system, gather up students in a van, travel to a law school, perhaps spend the night if the funds allow, gather up some prep books, have a lawyer or two come and speak, and at this time this all I have in mind. See the problem I am having? "How do I reach these kids?" Well, if I take your suggestion I won't be dealing with this, but . . . that wouldn't be fun.

amc5769

New

Post by amc5769 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:36 pm

Go for it!

I helped set up my school's first Pre-Law club, next semester we're competing in the AMTA's mock trial competition.

If nothing more than another activity on my resume, it's worth doing.

ghostofdreams

New

Post by ghostofdreams » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:51 pm

amc5769 wrote:Go for it!

I helped set up my school's first Pre-Law club, next semester we're competing in the AMTA's mock trial competition.

If nothing more than another activity on my resume, it's worth doing.
Yes, this is what I was talking about. This is information that says a UG law society is not a complete circle-jerk. Thanks, I have not heard of the AMTA and I will be looking into this more. :D

Questions: when did you set up your school's pre-law club? (Trying to gauge how long it took from start-up to competition.) What are some of the best activities that can be done with just the students, on the campus, that does not require a speaker or some other event? I'm sure I have many questions but I can't think of any right now. . . . Might ask more later . . .

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:26 am

I actually think this is a great idea. People on this forum are always moaning about how law school is rarely "worth it" unless you actually want to be a lawyer- what better day to find out than to actually take an interest as an undergrad and try to get some information together? I think groups like this could help undergraduates get a better grasp of what law school and the practice of law are actually like. In addition to your other ideas, how about actually going to court and observing a regular docket on a regular day?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:32 am

You'd have a better idea of what it means to be a lawyer if you called up a law firm and asked to shadow an attorney for a day than "talking to each other". Having this on your resume won't make much of a difference anyways.

ghostofdreams

New

Post by ghostofdreams » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:56 pm

Void wrote:I actually think this is a great idea. People on this forum are always moaning about how law school is rarely "worth it" unless you actually want to be a lawyer- what better day to find out than to actually take an interest as an undergrad and try to get some information together? I think groups like this could help undergraduates get a better grasp of what law school and the practice of law are actually like. In addition to your other ideas, how about actually going to court and observing a regular docket on a regular day?
Void, these are wonderful ideas. You are absolutely correct when you mention the lack of knowledge some people have when it comes to the actual law profession (this includes myself, of course). An anecdote I can share: the person who drafted the ballot initiative to legalize marijuana, told me that spending time with the legal profession before law school would have helped. I didn't pursue further what difference this would have had on her legal training.

And let me say, again, that I personally will not use this pre-law society as a bullet point on a resume. lol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”