Notre Dame Student(s) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ndirish2010

Re: Notre Dame Student(s) Taking Questions

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:27 pm

PM me if you want. I'm a current district court clerk.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:08 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:18K seems high. I think you could do it for 10K as well.

That is pretty sick.

I'm about to deposit. Can anyone chime in on student life? I know we'll be studying a lot, but what's the social atmosphere generally like? Do people that come here generally LOVE it there? I got that feeling when I visited another school's ASW. Even though I went to ASW at ND, I was totally out of it the entire time because I had barely slept the previous night and had to drive 2 hours from Chicago.

deebanger

Postby deebanger » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:34 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:The following firms came to OCI from Chicago in 2011 (when I did it):

Ungaretti & Harris
Jones Day
McGuireWoods
Chapman & Cutler
Jenner
Marshall Gerstein & Borun
Winston
Drinker Biddle
K&L Gates
Bryan Cave
Kirkland

do u have a list of california firms at oci? I would appreciate that!

mu13ski

Postby mu13ski » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:39 pm

deebanger wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:The following firms came to OCI from Chicago in 2011 (when I did it):

Ungaretti & Harris
Jones Day
McGuireWoods
Chapman & Cutler
Jenner
Winston
Drinker Biddle
K&L Gates
Bryan Cave
Kirkland

I'm only a 1L, so I can't speak to much of the OCI process. But Notre Dame hosts its own off campus interview program in several cities across the country during the summer before 2L year. Miami, Philadelphia, etc. I believe there is at least one of those in California.

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:40 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:

That is pretty sick.

I'm about to deposit. Can anyone chime in on student life? I know we'll be studying a lot, but what's the social atmosphere generally like? Do people that come here generally LOVE it there? I got that feeling when I visited another school's ASW. Even though I went to ASW at ND, I was totally out of it the entire time because I had barely slept the previous night and had to drive 2 hours from Chicago.

I have certainly loved my time at ND. I've never been a fan of going to bars, but folks certainly do that. The thing about ND is that it is so small. You get to know everyone in your class really well. Also, everyone is (usually) really nice. One of the first things I noticed is that everyone holds doors for each other, for example. I left my computer and fancy headphones unattended in the law library for a couple hours today. With such a small class, if you're rotten to anyone, there will be repercussions.

deebanger

Postby deebanger » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:52 pm

mu13ski wrote:
deebanger wrote:

Ungaretti & Harris
Jones Day
McGuireWoods
Chapman & Cutler
Jenner
Winston
Drinker Biddle
K&L Gates
Bryan Cave
Kirkland

I'm only a 1L, so I can't speak to much of the OCI process. But Notre Dame hosts its own off campus interview program in several cities across the country during the summer before 2L year. Miami, Philadelphia, etc. I believe there is at least one of those in California.

so if u are a nd student, but want to work in cali in the summer, you have to interview in cali?, I was under the impression that some cali firms would come to nd to interview students.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:53 am

ManoftheHour wrote:

That is pretty sick.

I miss Notre Dame every day. I don't think you'll be disappointed by the quality of life.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:59 pm

deebanger wrote:
mu13ski wrote:
deebanger wrote:

Ungaretti & Harris
Jones Day
McGuireWoods
Chapman & Cutler
Jenner
Winston
Drinker Biddle
K&L Gates
Bryan Cave
Kirkland

so if u are a nd student, but want to work in cali in the summer, you have to interview in cali?, I was under the impression that some cali firms would come to nd to interview students.

Not too many west coast firms come to OCI. There aren't that many people interested in the west coast at NDLS, so it would be a losing proposition for the firms. Some do, I'll try to find the list on my computer from 2011 when I go home today.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:04 pm

These meal plans don't seem cost effective? I calculate around $11-12/meal. Anybody have a meal plan? Any advantage?

--LinkRemoved--

mx23250

Postby mx23250 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:09 pm

yossarian71 wrote:These meal plans don't seem cost effective? I calculate around $11-12/meal. Anybody have a meal plan? Any advantage?

--LinkRemoved--

I thought the same thing. Meals at my undergrad (also a private catholic univ.) were only $2.50 each via a meal plan. This seems excessively high, even for buffet-style.

John Everyman

Postby John Everyman » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:12 pm

mx23250 wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:These meal plans don't seem cost effective? I calculate around $11-12/meal. Anybody have a meal plan? Any advantage?

--LinkRemoved--

I thought the same thing. Meals at my undergrad (also a private catholic univ.) were only $2.50 each via a meal plan. This seems excessively high, even for buffet-style.

Hmm..meals at my also Catholic undergrad were around 12-13 bucks a meal...

what kind of a Catholic undergrad was this giving out charity like that...

mx23250

Postby mx23250 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:21 pm

John Everyman wrote:
mx23250 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

So I just looked it up at my undergrad for clarification and I should probably clarify it. Our meal plans end up averaging about $7-8 per meal. However, each buffet-style meal would cost only $2.50 in flex dollars. When averaging that out with the block meals, it ends up at $7-8. It wasn't a bad deal, I would use flex dollars to eat buffets and then use the block meals to get better stuff in some of our non-buffet eateries.

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:22 am

mx23250 wrote:
John Everyman wrote:
mx23250 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

So I just looked it up at my undergrad for clarification and I should probably clarify it. Our meal plans end up averaging about $7-8 per meal. However, each buffet-style meal would cost only $2.50 in flex dollars. When averaging that out with the block meals, it ends up at $7-8. It wasn't a bad deal, I would use flex dollars to eat buffets and then use the block meals to get better stuff in some of our non-buffet eateries.

I've had a meal plan all 3 years, although part of it for me is to be able to get the ND experience. The meal plans are super, super expensive, there's no way to get around it. It was worth it for me because the law school has a free lunch somewhere in the building literally every day and I can't cook to save my life. Free lunch + meal plan=$10/day for food, which isn't good but isn't as outrageous.

Also, check out the menus to south dining hall to get why people pay so much. It's not cheap, but it's really good.

mx23250

Postby mx23250 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:36 am

Thanks for the insight! Are meals pretty expensive at that little cafe (crossings??) in the law school?

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:52 pm

Bump. I just had a sudden realization that I hadn't been on TLS in 6 months. Apparently the real world does that to you.

zbollenb

Postby zbollenb » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:18 pm

Hey.. I'm a law student at UVA... I'm from South Bend and will be coming home for Thanksgiving. Will any of the law buildings be open during Thanksgiving break so I can study while home? Thanks.

adil91

Postby adil91 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:44 pm

Sorry for Necroing this thread

1) I've heard that South Bend sucks as a city, how did you like it?

2) I've heard there's a focus on PI at Notre Dame, how many students get prestigious PI positions?

Grazzhoppa

Postby Grazzhoppa » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:27 pm

1) South Bend is what you make it. I like it.

2) I've never felt a PI focus and have no idea how many students get PI positions. I think most students want big law.

a_fireinside

Postby a_fireinside » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:32 pm

How many students go East after graduation, specifically Boston whether or private or public legal work?

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:48 pm

adil91 wrote:Sorry for Necroing this thread

2) I've heard there's a focus on PI at Notre Dame, how many students get prestigious PI positions?

1: SB isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. It's got Targets, Wal Marts, a Whole Foods, Chipotle, Krispy Kreme, etc. I'm presently in a town without any of those, except Wal Mart, of course.

2: I'm a small town DA out of ND, and I think it's most accurate to say that a few people will get amazing PI credentials, but the school has an unbelievable amount of support if anyone chooses to do PI. The school has 2 (3 this year) fellowships that they award for people who put together a save the world type of project. If you get it, they pay you $45k to be a cog in a PI operation. They will also cut you a check for up to a year after you graduate to get experience in PI. They will also pay you to work in PI over either or both summers.

Finally, the LRAP is legit. Most schools require you to get on PAYE and then help with a much smaller payment. ND has no such requirement, so I am on the 10 year plan to actually pay back the cash. This matters because if you're tied to PAYE then decide to go private, you're hosed. I could jump to a firm tomorrow and be completely on track to pay off my loans.

I tell folks looking at law schools all the time that it is really nice to go to a wealthy school. NDLS can really throw money around when they want to.

TirantMartorell

Postby TirantMartorell » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:57 pm

adil91 wrote:Sorry for Necroing this thread

Going to law school in SB isn't that bad. As a 1L you really will not need much more than a few bars and hang out spots and SB has that. If you really dislike SB, you can leave for a year and do the London program, or go for a semester to Chicago or DC.

TirantMartorell

Postby TirantMartorell » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:01 pm

a_fireinside wrote:How many students go East after graduation, specifically Boston whether or private or public legal work?

Plenty of students go to the East Coast. The destination of recent graduates is posted on the admissions or career development website. I would look at that. Anecdotally, I would say that going to the East Coast is not a problem with either ties or decent grades (near median or better).

Postby 654456 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:05 am

Last edited by 654456 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grazzhoppa

Postby Grazzhoppa » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:28 am

654456 wrote:Do grads have success in the Philadelphia market? I'm trying to end up back in Philly and I am deciding between ND and Vandy. Neither have great chances for Philly, but I'm wondering if that is due more to self-selection. Do many notre dame students even try for philly? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I know a girl from philly working at a big firm in philly. So there's one haha.

heyarnold

Postby heyarnold » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:41 am

How helpful is the OCIP in nyc/dc/cali? And does anybody know the success rate in 1L SA positions for ND students relative to the past couple years?

How competitive is the DC program? Is it mostly catered towards students who want fed work or rather those who are targeting big law?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”