UK LLB wanting US JD admission

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
amirza14

UK LLB wanting US JD admission

Postby amirza14 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:19 pm

Hi All,

I'm a law student (llb) at the University of Edinburgh and want to go to a US law school after graduation. Is my having an llb going to be considered as an advantage or hindrance for getting into a US law school, preferably a top tier one. Or does it matter at all?
Looking forward to your responses!

piccolittle

Re: UK LLB wanting US JD admission

Postby piccolittle » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:32 pm

amirza14 wrote:Hi All,

I'm a law student (llb) at the University of Edinburgh and want to go to a US law school after graduation. Is my having an llb going to be considered as an advantage or hindrance for getting into a US law school, preferably a top tier one. Or does it matter at all?
Looking forward to your responses!

I'm not sure it helped me much in admissions - the LSAC evaluation of your degree performance plus your LSAT score is probably more important. Additionally, your LLB is in Scots law, isn't it? You may have an advantage during actual law school since you're used to some of the subject matter, or at least ways to study the subject matter, even if not the case method. Your LLB might also intrigue employers.

TL;DR probably not as helpful as your grades/LSAT.

amirza14

Postby amirza14 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:51 pm

Yes it's in Scots law but I'm planning on studying abroad next year at either Sciences Po (Paris) or Copenhagen Uni. I'm assuming exposure to different legal systems and international experience is a benefit?
Also if you can excuse my lack of knowledge, how does lsac evaluate my degree performance?

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:48 am

amirza14 wrote:Also if you can excuse my lack of knowledge, how does lsac evaluate my degree performance?

Your degree will be evaluated as either "below average," "average," above average," or "superior." Unlike North American applicants, you won't get a GPA.

This means your LSAT score is even more important than it would be for US applicants (and it is the most important element of their applications). If you get your LSAT score into the high 160s, it's highly likely you'll be admitted to t14 schools. The more significant question is how you plan to pay for law school in the US. I'm sure you're aware that you can't get US government loans, which is what students do here.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”