What can I do now?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Teflon_Don

What can I do now?

Postby Teflon_Don » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:52 pm

I'm seeing a lot of posts offering advice to only focus on the exam, that's all that matters, etc etc.. So, as of 3-4weeks in, what can I do right now to help myself come exam time/prep time? I'm still on the border of whether or not to brief. Considering just googling canned cases, skipping the readings, paying attention in class and drilling myself through E&E's, other supps, etc... Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Teflon_Don

Re: What can I do now?

Postby Teflon_Don » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:54 pm

And please don't just say drink beer, I'm already doing that

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:22 pm

This so totally depends on the class — and to some extent on your learning style — that it is unlikely that you will get a meaningful answer.

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:07 pm

Should I be testing myself right now? Are canned briefs enough to get by?

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:23 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:Should I be testing myself right now? Are canned briefs enough to get by?

IMO, yes, canned briefs are all you need in order to understand what's necessary for the exam. Don't waste time reading everything and briefing cases blah blah. Get started on your outline and getting other people's.

buckythebadger

Postby buckythebadger » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:59 pm

hiima3L wrote:
Teflon_Don wrote:Should I be testing myself right now? Are canned briefs enough to get by?

IMO, yes, canned briefs are all you need in order to understand what's necessary for the exam. Don't waste time reading everything and briefing cases blah blah. Get started on your outline and getting other people's.

I wouldn't do this. I mean, its only 1 year of actually studying hard. Your first year grades mean EVERYTHING. A 5-10% difference can mean the difference between landing a SA and not getting a callback. So why risk it by not doing the readings?

You don't have to be a gunner and sit in the library all day. There were many Sundays that I was too hungover to do any work and just watched football all day. But I still did all the readings and took notes on them.

So at this point, just make sure to keep up on the readings, take good notes, and go through any supplements if your confused. I'd also spend a little bit of time going the some E+E problems in the sections that you already covered in class. It's one thing to know the BLL, its another to actually be able to apply it to a different set of facts. The way I looked at it was this: 95% of your class is going to know the BLL come exam time. So what are you doing to separate yourself from the rest of the class? When you hear about students falling into the trap of prepping for class, that is what is going on. Students burn out and spend insane amounts of time learning the BLL, when in reality, everyone will know those same legal rules on exam day.

timmyd

Postby timmyd » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:34 pm

I agree with above poster, the best thing you can do right now is questions applying the law you have already learned to fact patterns you have not seen. Outline as well to help you review and approach exam questions in a methodical logical manner. I will say that not everyone does their own outlines....I would probably err on the side of caution and make your own and supplement it with other outlines from former students and from a hornbook or supp that has been recommended by your teacher. That last part is important, alot of supps will have statements of the law your prof does not like or agree with. It makes no difference who is right...your prof is grading the exam.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:37 pm

I'd also recommend talking to 2Ls and 3Ls who had those professors, so you can get insight into what sort of things they will emphasize on the exam, rather than just in the classroom. Although that's not a daily thing. CALI lessons have also been very helpful on a few different subjects, if you want more information into a topic and some additional practice.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”