Career Path for Chemical Engineering Student

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Kafkaesquire

Career Path for Chemical Engineering Student

Postby Kafkaesquire » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:11 pm

I'm interested in getting a job as a patent lawyer.

I will graduate in 2015. I want to get work experience before going to law school (at least 3 years, not much more than 5).

How would I approach meshing my first job out of college with my career aspirations? I mean, can I go be an engineer at a company and work my way to in-house by going to law school while working for them? I feel that I cannot go to an in-house attorney about this because the market has changed so much lately.

Bronck

Re: Career Path for Chemical Engineering Student

Postby Bronck » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:17 pm

androstan

Postby androstan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:18 pm

Kafkaesquire wrote:I'm interested in getting a job as a patent lawyer.

I will graduate in 2015. I want to get work experience before going to law school (at least 3 years, not much more than 5).

How would I approach meshing my first job out of college with my career aspirations? I mean, can I go be an engineer at a company and work my way to in-house by going to law school while working for them? I feel that I cannot go to an in-house attorney about this because the market has changed so much lately.

Pass patent bar ASAP and/or get hired by the PTO.

If you want to go in-house eventually then learning USPTO practice should be your focus.

Kafkaesquire

Postby Kafkaesquire » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:48 am

androstan wrote:
Kafkaesquire wrote:I'm interested in getting a job as a patent lawyer.

Pass patent bar ASAP and/or get hired by the PTO.

If you want to go in-house eventually then learning USPTO practice should be your focus.

Okay, that's great, but you probably know as well as I do that one cannot simply will one's self into the USPTO. Chemical engineering openings for new examiners are hit and miss at best. If I can get in as an examiner at any point prior to law school, I most certainly will. But, I need to plan for the part where there are no openings for my specialty/I don't get hired by the USPTO. At graduation, I may need to enter industry, and I need to know what type of companies and positions to look for.

Kafkaesquire

Postby Kafkaesquire » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:49 am

I don't want advice from law students.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:51 am

Kafkaesquire wrote:

I don't want advice from law students.

Be that as it may, this forum is not for 0Ls. Moved.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”