Is a hard copy of a law dictionary necessary?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Da1andOnlyPharo

Is a hard copy of a law dictionary necessary?

Postby Da1andOnlyPharo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:16 pm

Professor just suggested buying a copy of Black's Law Dictionary. Kind of expensive. Seems easier to just look stuff online at a reputable website.

Any insight on why someone would want/need a copy of Black's, and have you guys found any particular online dictionaries useful?

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Is a hard copy of a law dictionary necessary?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:18 pm

I think profs suggest this because when they went to school, Black's was only available in hard copy. You don't need to buy it. You can either use Black's on Westlaw/Lexis, or you can google. (I do like Black's, but wouldn't buy it.)

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:22 pm

no

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:25 pm

I definitely never needed one until journal write-on competition at the end of 1L. Then not only did we need a hard copy, it had to be Black's and not some other legal dictionary. (Of course, your school may have different requirements and it's on the honor system anyway whether you obey, so ymmv).

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:31 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I definitely never needed one until journal write-on competition at the end of 1L. Then not only did we need a hard copy, it had to be Black's and not some other legal dictionary. (Of course, your school may have different requirements and it's on the honor system anyway whether you obey, so ymmv).

What'd you even need it for? I think we may have been allowed to use one but I don't even remember because I had no use for it.

Re: the OP, I just google.

zylaxice

Postby zylaxice » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:40 pm

It isn't necessary. Even if for some reason you needed to specifically reference Black's, it's available online through Westlaw.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:17 pm

For what it's worth, as a 3L, I never needed one.

YYZ

Postby YYZ » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:23 pm

Absolutely no.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:22 pm

Da1andOnlyPharo wrote:Professor just suggested buying a copy of Black's Law Dictionary. Kind of expensive. Seems easier to just look stuff online at a reputable website.

Any insight on why someone would want/need a copy of Black's, and have you guys found any particular online dictionaries useful?

No. Black's law dictionary is the biggest flame a professor will try and pull on 1Ls. I told all my classmates not to get it, and I got some pretty amusing excuses in return. Guess who was laughing when they told us we could all use westlaw to look up the dictionary. Plus your law library probably has a gajillion copies of the thing, at least one chained to the shelf so that people can't steal it.

rinkrat19 wrote:I definitely never needed one until journal write-on competition at the end of 1L. Then not only did we need a hard copy, it had to be Black's and not some other legal dictionary. (Of course, your school may have different requirements and it's on the honor system anyway whether you obey, so ymmv).

Your write-on competition has a serious stick up its ass. What in the hell are you going to write for a journal competition that is so worthwhile and important it requires an $80 book? I understand the bluebook and anal citation, but a legal dictionary? Wtf is up with that?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:19 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:
Da1andOnlyPharo wrote:Professor just suggested buying a copy of Black's Law Dictionary. Kind of expensive. Seems easier to just look stuff online at a reputable website.

No. Black's law dictionary is the biggest flame a professor will try and pull on 1Ls. I told all my classmates not to get it, and I got some pretty amusing excuses in return. Guess who was laughing when they told us we could all use westlaw to look up the dictionary. Plus your law library probably has a gajillion copies of the thing, at least one chained to the shelf so that people can't steal it.

Your write-on competition has a serious stick up its ass. What in the hell are you going to write for a journal competition that is so worthwhile and important it requires an $80 book? I understand the bluebook and anal citation, but a legal dictionary? Wtf is up with that?
I totally agree that our write-on is stupidly anal, but where the hell are you paying $80 for Black's? Amazon has the hardback for $33 and the paperback for $26.

I actually ended up using Black's at work a bit this summer, so I'm ok with the money spent.

Void

Postby Void » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:31 pm

Yeah, you don't need it.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:50 pm

Just use the Westlaw version.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:53 am

Can't think of a situation in which you would need it. I never did.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:03 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:For what it's worth, as a 3L, I never needed one.

Same here. This is just a first in a long line of lessons you'll learn demonstrating how out of touch professors (generally) are.

conwaystern

Postby conwaystern » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:48 pm

Absolutely not. Download the app for your phone, call it a day.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:46 pm

conwaystern wrote:Absolutely not. Download the app for your phone, call it a day.

Except don't do that because it (Black's) costs $55.

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:52 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Scotusnerd wrote:

I totally agree that our write-on is stupidly anal, but where the hell are you paying $80 for Black's? Amazon has the hardback for $33 and the paperback for $26.

I actually ended up using Black's at work a bit this summer, so I'm ok with the money spent.

Not if you're buying it new... $67 http://www.amazon.com/Blacks-Law-Dictionary-Standard-Ninth/dp/0314199497/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378248674&sr=1-1&keywords=blacks+law+dictionary+2013. It's $80 on Black's website,

Are you looking at the abridged version?

Regardless, OP doesn't need it.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”