Is a hard copy of a law dictionary necessary?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Da1andOnlyPharo
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:13 am

Is a hard copy of a law dictionary necessary?

Postby Da1andOnlyPharo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:16 pm

Professor just suggested buying a copy of Black's Law Dictionary. Kind of expensive. Seems easier to just look stuff online at a reputable website.

Any insight on why someone would want/need a copy of Black's, and have you guys found any particular online dictionaries useful?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22779
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Is a hard copy of a law dictionary necessary?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:18 pm

I think profs suggest this because when they went to school, Black's was only available in hard copy. You don't need to buy it. You can either use Black's on Westlaw/Lexis, or you can google. (I do like Black's, but wouldn't buy it.)

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Is a hard copy of a law dictionary necessary?

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:22 pm

no

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13910
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Is a hard copy of a law dictionary necessary?

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:25 pm

I definitely never needed one until journal write-on competition at the end of 1L. Then not only did we need a hard copy, it had to be Black's and not some other legal dictionary. (Of course, your school may have different requirements and it's on the honor system anyway whether you obey, so ymmv).

mushybrain
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: Is a hard copy of a law dictionary necessary?

Postby mushybrain » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:31 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I definitely never needed one until journal write-on competition at the end of 1L. Then not only did we need a hard copy, it had to be Black's and not some other legal dictionary. (Of course, your school may have different requirements and it's on the honor system anyway whether you obey, so ymmv).

What'd you even need it for? I think we may have been allowed to use one but I don't even remember because I had no use for it.

Re: the OP, I just google.

zylaxice
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:12 pm

Re: Is a hard copy of a law dictionary necessary?

Postby zylaxice » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:40 pm

It isn't necessary. Even if for some reason you needed to specifically reference Black's, it's available online through Westlaw.

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: Is a hard copy of a law dictionary necessary?

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:17 pm

For what it's worth, as a 3L, I never needed one.

User avatar
YYZ
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:39 pm

Re: Is a hard copy of a law dictionary necessary?

Postby YYZ » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:23 pm

Absolutely no.

User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Is a hard copy of a law dictionary necessary?

Postby Scotusnerd » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:22 pm

Da1andOnlyPharo wrote:Professor just suggested buying a copy of Black's Law Dictionary. Kind of expensive. Seems easier to just look stuff online at a reputable website.

Any insight on why someone would want/need a copy of Black's, and have you guys found any particular online dictionaries useful?



No. Black's law dictionary is the biggest flame a professor will try and pull on 1Ls. I told all my classmates not to get it, and I got some pretty amusing excuses in return. Guess who was laughing when they told us we could all use westlaw to look up the dictionary. Plus your law library probably has a gajillion copies of the thing, at least one chained to the shelf so that people can't steal it.

rinkrat19 wrote:I definitely never needed one until journal write-on competition at the end of 1L. Then not only did we need a hard copy, it had to be Black's and not some other legal dictionary. (Of course, your school may have different requirements and it's on the honor system anyway whether you obey, so ymmv).


Your write-on competition has a serious stick up its ass. What in the hell are you going to write for a journal competition that is so worthwhile and important it requires an $80 book? I understand the bluebook and anal citation, but a legal dictionary? Wtf is up with that?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13910
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Is a hard copy of a law dictionary necessary?

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:19 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:
Da1andOnlyPharo wrote:Professor just suggested buying a copy of Black's Law Dictionary. Kind of expensive. Seems easier to just look stuff online at a reputable website.

Any insight on why someone would want/need a copy of Black's, and have you guys found any particular online dictionaries useful?



No. Black's law dictionary is the biggest flame a professor will try and pull on 1Ls. I told all my classmates not to get it, and I got some pretty amusing excuses in return. Guess who was laughing when they told us we could all use westlaw to look up the dictionary. Plus your law library probably has a gajillion copies of the thing, at least one chained to the shelf so that people can't steal it.

rinkrat19 wrote:I definitely never needed one until journal write-on competition at the end of 1L. Then not only did we need a hard copy, it had to be Black's and not some other legal dictionary. (Of course, your school may have different requirements and it's on the honor system anyway whether you obey, so ymmv).


Your write-on competition has a serious stick up its ass. What in the hell are you going to write for a journal competition that is so worthwhile and important it requires an $80 book? I understand the bluebook and anal citation, but a legal dictionary? Wtf is up with that?
I totally agree that our write-on is stupidly anal, but where the hell are you paying $80 for Black's? Amazon has the hardback for $33 and the paperback for $26.

I actually ended up using Black's at work a bit this summer, so I'm ok with the money spent.

Void
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 am

Re: Is a hard copy of a law dictionary necessary?

Postby Void » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:31 pm

Yeah, you don't need it.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Is a hard copy of a law dictionary necessary?

Postby hephaestus » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:50 pm

Just use the Westlaw version.

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Is a hard copy of a law dictionary necessary?

Postby shock259 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:53 am

Can't think of a situation in which you would need it. I never did.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Is a hard copy of a law dictionary necessary?

Postby cinephile » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:03 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:For what it's worth, as a 3L, I never needed one.


Same here. This is just a first in a long line of lessons you'll learn demonstrating how out of touch professors (generally) are.

conwaystern
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:21 am

Re: Is a hard copy of a law dictionary necessary?

Postby conwaystern » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:48 pm

Absolutely not. Download the app for your phone, call it a day.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22779
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Is a hard copy of a law dictionary necessary?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:46 pm

conwaystern wrote:Absolutely not. Download the app for your phone, call it a day.

Except don't do that because it (Black's) costs $55.

User avatar
Joe Quincy
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 10:42 am

Re: Is a hard copy of a law dictionary necessary?

Postby Joe Quincy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:52 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Scotusnerd wrote:
Da1andOnlyPharo wrote:Professor just suggested buying a copy of Black's Law Dictionary. Kind of expensive. Seems easier to just look stuff online at a reputable website.

Any insight on why someone would want/need a copy of Black's, and have you guys found any particular online dictionaries useful?



No. Black's law dictionary is the biggest flame a professor will try and pull on 1Ls. I told all my classmates not to get it, and I got some pretty amusing excuses in return. Guess who was laughing when they told us we could all use westlaw to look up the dictionary. Plus your law library probably has a gajillion copies of the thing, at least one chained to the shelf so that people can't steal it.

rinkrat19 wrote:I definitely never needed one until journal write-on competition at the end of 1L. Then not only did we need a hard copy, it had to be Black's and not some other legal dictionary. (Of course, your school may have different requirements and it's on the honor system anyway whether you obey, so ymmv).


Your write-on competition has a serious stick up its ass. What in the hell are you going to write for a journal competition that is so worthwhile and important it requires an $80 book? I understand the bluebook and anal citation, but a legal dictionary? Wtf is up with that?
I totally agree that our write-on is stupidly anal, but where the hell are you paying $80 for Black's? Amazon has the hardback for $33 and the paperback for $26.

I actually ended up using Black's at work a bit this summer, so I'm ok with the money spent.


Not if you're buying it new... $67 http://www.amazon.com/Blacks-Law-Dictionary-Standard-Ninth/dp/0314199497/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378248674&sr=1-1&keywords=blacks+law+dictionary+2013. It's $80 on Black's website,

Are you looking at the abridged version?

Regardless, OP doesn't need it.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests