Big law firm placement: Absolute number vs Percent?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
zienhal

Big law firm placement: Absolute number vs Percent?

Postby zienhal » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:36 pm

When considering a law school's placement of graduates in 'large law firms,' how does class size factor into the metric? My first thought is a percentage measure would control for varying class sizes BUT doesn't a large class size make it harder to place a LARGER percentage of students in 'large law firms'?

Not sure if I'm over thinking this but help would be appreciated!

...should have taken more statistics.

Yukos

Re: Big law firm placement: Absolute number vs Percent?

Postby Yukos » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:54 pm

zienhal wrote:When considering a law school's placement of graduates in 'large law firms,' how does class size factor into the metric? My first thought is a percentage measure would control for varying class sizes BUT doesn't a large class size make it harder to place a LARGER percentage of students in 'large law firms'?

Yes it makes sense that theoretically it's "harder" to place a large percentage of a large class into biglaw jobs and so it's "impressive" when schools do it, but all that matters to you specifically is your chance of getting a biglaw job and the best proxy for that is the percentage itself, no matter the class size.

Put another way, you could argue* that GULC's placement is more impressive than Penn's, considering that GULC is gigantic and in the most competitive market in the country while Penn is small and feeds into New York. But even if you believe that, Penn would still unambiguously be a better choice because you have a much higher chance of getting a biglaw job out of there.

*I wouldn't but, you know, it's possible I guess.

zienhal

Postby zienhal » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:28 pm

Ahhhh, got it. Well put. Thanks!

utlaw2007

Postby utlaw2007 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:50 pm

Yukos wrote:
zienhal wrote:When considering a law school's placement of graduates in 'large law firms,' how does class size factor into the metric? My first thought is a percentage measure would control for varying class sizes BUT doesn't a large class size make it harder to place a LARGER percentage of students in 'large law firms'?

Yes it makes sense that theoretically it's "harder" to place a large percentage of a large class into biglaw jobs and so it's "impressive" when schools do it, but all that matters to you specifically is your chance of getting a biglaw job and the best proxy for that is the percentage itself, no matter the class size.

Put another way, you could argue* that GULC's placement is more impressive than Penn's, considering that GULC is gigantic and in the most competitive market in the country while Penn is small and feeds into New York. But even if you believe that, Penn would still unambiguously be a better choice because you have a much higher chance of getting a biglaw job out of there.

*I wouldn't but, you know, it's possible I guess.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”