Fordham 3L's Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
FPT-33

Fordham 3L's Taking Questions

Postby FPT-33 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:45 pm

Bored in class, ask us anything.

sparty99

Re: Fordham 3L's Taking Questions

Postby sparty99 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:00 pm

FPT-33 wrote:Bored in class, ask us anything.

Do you have a full-time, post graduate job? If so, doing what, location, pay, and what is your class rank.

FPT-33

Postby FPT-33 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:09 pm

sparty99 wrote: Do you have a full-time, post graduate job? If so, doing what, location, pay, and what is your class rank.

There are a few of us here.

Edit: Some people have jobs, some don't. Those that do are probably in the top 25%.

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:51 am

How competitive is it to get into the criminal defense clinic? How many spots are available for it? Is getting inbased on gpa or desire to be a PD?

FPT-33

Postby FPT-33 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:41 am

TheJanitor6203 wrote:How competitive is it to get into the criminal defense clinic? How many spots are available for it? Is getting inbased on gpa or desire to be a PD?

I never did a clinic. Not sure about this. Sorry.

yankeesjn

Postby yankeesjn » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:40 pm

Hi,

I am very seriously considering attending Fordham next year. I've noticed that the statistics say that for the most recent class, 23% were able to land big law, and 63% were able to obtain long-term, full time employment, at jobs requiring bar passage.

In my mind, this means that at fordham law, just about everyone ranked in the top 50% is getting real law jobs (as that is well within the top 63%) and the top 20% are getting jobs at the top 250 law firms.

Is there any reason why this assumption would be incorrect? If the stats have been taken apart and are saying 63% have real law jobs, and not fake ones that the school creates, shouldn't most people you know at Fordham have job offers?

lawrence1917

Postby lawrence1917 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:47 pm

it's important to keep in mind timing.

20% of people know they have jobs around a month into 2L.

the other 43% that get jobs mostly won't get those jobs until graduation.

also, be realistic about the difference of pay, prestige, and subsequent opportunities between those two categories of employment.

FPT-33

Postby FPT-33 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:17 pm

yankeesjn wrote:Hi,

I am very seriously considering attending Fordham next year. I've noticed that the statistics say that for the most recent class, 23% were able to land big law, and 63% were able to obtain long-term, full time employment, at jobs requiring bar passage.

In my mind, this means that at fordham law, just about everyone ranked in the top 50% is getting real law jobs (as that is well within the top 63%) and the top 20% are getting jobs at the top 250 law firms.

Is there any reason why this assumption would be incorrect? If the stats have been taken apart and are saying 63% have real law jobs, and not fake ones that the school creates, shouldn't most people you know at Fordham have job offers?

I don't think the bolded is necessarily true. If OCI doesn't work out then grades seem to matter very little, its more about how active you are in the job search. The employed may very well include more people in the bottom 50% than the top 50% because those in the bottom will pursue internships with small firms that may lead to permanent employment while those in the top may focus on schoolwork and grades in the hope of getting that elusive post-OCI big law job.

Edit: Yes, most of my friends that have graduated have jobs, just not the kind of job that they imagined when they started school and took out huge amounts of loans.

MayomiSanchez

Postby MayomiSanchez » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:08 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:How competitive is it to get into the criminal defense clinic? How many spots are available for it? Is getting inbased on gpa or desire to be a PD?

I took the defense clinic with Profs R and B. At least when I took it they basically just did a lottery based on seniority, I don't think they took GPA into account.

MayomiSanchez

Postby MayomiSanchez » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:08 pm

FPT-33 wrote:
yankeesjn wrote:Hi,

I don't think the bolded is necessarily true. If OCI doesn't work out then grades seem to matter very little, its more about how active you are in the job search. The employed may very well include more people in the bottom 50% than the top 50% because those in the bottom will pursue internships with small firms that may lead to permanent employment while those in the top may focus on schoolwork and grades in the hope of getting that elusive post-OCI big law job.

Edit: Yes, most of my friends that have graduated have jobs, just not the kind of job that they imagined when they started school and took out huge amounts of loans.

I second the last paragraph here.

yankeesjn

Postby yankeesjn » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:50 am

Thank you everyone, that is very helpful.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”