The Flask

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
indenturedserv

The Flask

Postby indenturedserv » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:45 pm

long-time lurker and incoming 1L at S. trying to find ways to save $ in the next few years but still be able to socialize, and have read in several places the suggestion of carrying a flask and spiking your own drinks when going out (obviously not getting caught by employees at a bar). i was wondering if this is pretty frowned upon (esp in the affluent palo alto area) or is it common for students to do this on a night out? thanks in advance guys!

arklaw13

Re: The Flask

Postby arklaw13 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:14 pm

indenturedserv wrote:long-time lurker and incoming 1L at S. trying to find ways to save $ in the next few years but still be able to socialize, and have read in several places the suggestion of carrying a flask and spiking your own drinks when going out (obviously not getting caught by employees at a bar). i was wondering if this is pretty frowned upon (esp in the affluent palo alto area) or is it common for students to do this on a night out? thanks in advance guys!

I've seen plenty of people do it. If someone inquires and you don't want to seem poor, just pretend to be a liquor snob and tell them you have to have your particular brand of whatever it is you're drinking. Say you only drink 12 year old Scotch and the bar doesn't serve it. Doesn't matter if you're actually drinking Heaven Hill.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:15 pm

Sneaky "I go to SLS" humblebrag.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:21 pm

Dylanlj13 wrote:
indenturedserv wrote:long-time lurker and incoming 1L at S. trying to find ways to save $ in the next few years but still be able to socialize, and have read in several places the suggestion of carrying a flask and spiking your own drinks when going out (obviously not getting caught by employees at a bar). i was wondering if this is pretty frowned upon (esp in the affluent palo alto area) or is it common for students to do this on a night out? thanks in advance guys!

I've seen plenty of people do it. If someone inquires and you don't want to seem poor, just pretend to be a liquor snob and tell them you have to have your particular brand of whatever it is you're drinking. Say you only drink 12 year old Scotch and the bar doesn't serve it. Doesn't matter if you're actually drinking Heaven Hill.

Mixing scotch with something else would be pretty damn prole, no way would a scotch snob do that.

Also what bk said. This is a humblebrag and #firstworldproblems and the OP should feel ashamed.

indenturedserv

Postby indenturedserv » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:24 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Dylanlj13 wrote:

Mixing scotch with something else would be pretty damn prole, no way would a scotch snob do that.

Also what bk said. This is a humblebrag and #firstworldproblems and the OP should feel ashamed.

not a humblebrag at all and i'm not ashamed. i just wanted to know if students at the school could help answer my question, just to adjust for regional/cultural differences or whatever. palo alto is kind of a unique area and i thought i might get some resident advice that's all. annoying disdain notwithstanding, thanks for the advice y'all haha

Postby 09042014 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:30 pm

most places will kick you out. You can do it in the bathroom, or try sneaking it under the table.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:31 pm

indenturedserv wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Dylanlj13 wrote:

not a humblebrag at all and i'm not ashamed. i just wanted to know if students at the school could help answer my question, just to adjust for regional/cultural differences or whatever. palo alto is kind of a unique area and i thought i might get some resident advice that's all. annoying disdain notwithstanding, thanks for the advice y'all haha

Dude, you made an account on a law school forum to ask if your Stanford classmates (or was it the Palo Alto residents, I can't tell?) would look down on you for using a flask at a bar.

Do you bro, YOLO

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”