Is Order of the Coif flame?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Is Order of the Coif flame?

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:43 am

Is it on par with Phi Beta Kappa in UG or does no one care about it?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Is Order of the Coif flame?

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:11 am

You have it mixed up. No one cares about PBK. Everyone cares about Coif.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15524
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Is Order of the Coif flame?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:04 am

It just means top ten percent. I doubt anyone with top ten percent grades ever got a job because of the order of the coif distinction that they wouldn't have gotten if they were at an equivalent non-coif school.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Is Order of the Coif flame?

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:51 am

People care about it just like they care about Law Review. It's a signal that you did really well in law school. It's not like you're going to go network with other Coif members or something.

UnderrateOverachieve
Posts: 412
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Re: Is Order of the Coif flame?

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:01 pm

I have seen some very prestigious professors with coif on their resumes.

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1776
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Is Order of the Coif flame?

Postby Yukos » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:46 pm

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:I have seen some very prestigious professors with coif on their resumes.


Must be the coif that made them prestigious. They would be TTTT profs without it.

J. D.
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:20 pm

Re: Is Order of the Coif flame?

Postby J. D. » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:55 pm

kalvano wrote:You have it mixed up. No one cares about PBK. Everyone cares about Coif.

+180. Grab your complimentary Champaign on the way to HR.

Redfactor
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Is Order of the Coif flame?

Postby Redfactor » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:56 pm

.
Last edited by Redfactor on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Toby Ziegler
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: Is Order of the Coif flame?

Postby Toby Ziegler » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:42 pm

J. D. wrote:
kalvano wrote:You have it mixed up. No one cares about PBK. Everyone cares about Coif.

+180. Grab your complimentary Champaign on the way to HR.

I lol'ed.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9652
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Is Order of the Coif flame?

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:03 am

Whether or not one is admitted to the Order determines their entire future in law

User avatar
Kafkaesquire
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:55 pm

Re: Is Order of the Coif flame?

Postby Kafkaesquire » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:12 pm

Yukos wrote:
UnderrateOverachieve wrote:I have seen some very prestigious professors with coif on their resumes.


Must be the coif that made them prestigious. They would be TTTT profs without it.


Lol. Yes, UnderrateOverachieve. I can assume with a high degree of certainty that you were either not a philosophy major in UG or were a very poor one (regardless of your GPA).

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: Is Order of the Coif flame?

Postby 5ky » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:47 am

when this topic comes up a few times a year, the general resolution is that PBK and Coif are of the very few things that generally make a law firm bio, but whether they have independent significance is doubtful.

Coif is helpful, however, at schools without Latin honors. For instance, UVA doesn't give any latin honors, so it might be marginally helpful for a person moving jobs in 5-10 years when the employer will not be scouring a transcript to discover GPA. it just provides a quick reference that the person wasn't at the bottom of the class or whatever. but if your school has latin honors, then its mostly duplicative, probably

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Is Order of the Coif flame?

Postby sinfiery » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:28 am

Kafkaesquire wrote:Lol. Yes, UnderrateOverachieve. I can assume with a high degree of certainty that you were either not a philosophy major in UG or were a very poor one (regardless of your GPA).

Not every post on this forum is an attempt at circle jerking how accomplished we are. Sorry to burst your bubble.

arizonairish
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:21 am

Re: Is Order of the Coif flame?

Postby arizonairish » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:42 am

Is law school flame?

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: Is Order of the Coif flame?

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:44 am

Is flame flame?

RedLightGreenLight
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:51 pm

Re: Is Order of the Coif flame?

Postby RedLightGreenLight » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:15 pm

Kafkaesquire wrote:
Yukos wrote:
UnderrateOverachieve wrote:I have seen some very prestigious professors with coif on their resumes.


Must be the coif that made them prestigious. They would be TTTT profs without it.


Lol. Yes, UnderrateOverachieve. I can assume with a high degree of certainty that you were either not a philosophy major in UG or were a very poor one (regardless of your GPA).


philosophy majors are TTT

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Is Order of the Coif flame?

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:16 am

RedLightGreenLight wrote:philosophy majors are TTT


http://www.statisticbrain.com/iq-estima ... ege-major/


User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1776
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Is Order of the Coif flame?

Postby Yukos » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:09 pm

This thread went downhill fast.


User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Is Order of the Coif flame?

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:23 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:Image


LMAO. CompuTTTTer science.

Used to be such a great degree.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: Is Order of the Coif flame?

Postby 5ky » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:28 pm

How did this turn into a philosophy circle-jerk? high test scores aside, the intelligence of a person who majors solely in philosophy is remarkably low

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Is Order of the Coif flame?

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:31 pm

5ky wrote:How did this turn into a philosophy circle-jerk? high test scores aside, the intelligence of a person who majors solely in philosophy is remarkably low



DESCRIBE

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1776
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Is Order of the Coif flame?

Postby Yukos » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:45 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
5ky wrote:How did this turn into a philosophy circle-jerk? high test scores aside, the intelligence of a person who majors solely in philosophy is remarkably low



DESCRIBE


http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/ ... -sort.html

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Is Order of the Coif flame?

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:14 pm



Damn. HisTTory and maTTh aren't as TTTT as I thought.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AZnative, dclaw93 and 6 guests