Should I go to law school? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
gopats

New

Should I go to law school?

Post by gopats » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:03 pm

Ive interned at an immigration law firm this summer and enjoyed it A lot and I really enjoyed the work. I could really see my self being an attorney.But at the same time, last summer I interned at a congresswomen's district office and loved it. I am a political science major and i am very passionate about politics and I am very passionate about social justice. should I pursue a carer in politics or law?
Law school is super expensive and the job market is crap but, at the same time I really like immigration law and as an added plus most politicians are lawyers(i know thats because lawyers are highly respected in there community but still), But on the other hand pursuing a carer in politics would be great for me as well and I wouldn't have a huge burden of debt.

Any input is appreciated :D

Ramius

Gold

Re: Should I go to law school?

Post by Ramius » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:12 pm

Do you want to practice law? If yes, continue...

Do you want to practice law more than anything else? If yes, continue...

Do you have the numbers (LSAT and uGPA) to get into a T14 for a reasonable price or a strong regional for close to free? If yes, continue...

Can you become a lawyer (eg paying for law school) without reasonably putting yourself into financial ruin (this closely correlates to the above question)? If yes, continue...

Are you giving up any other massive opportunity cost? If no, continue...

If you've made it this far, going into law will likely be a good decision for you.

This still doesn't answer for all the personal factors that could play here, but you've done we'll if you've made it this far. Only you can make this decision and no one on here can tell you whether or not it would be the right choice for you.

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Re: Should I go to law school?

Post by PolySuyGuy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:47 pm

gopats wrote:Ive interned at an immigration law firm this summer and enjoyed it A lot and I really enjoyed the work. I could really see my self being an attorney.But at the same time, last summer I interned at a congresswomen's district office and loved it. I am a political science major and i am very passionate about politics and I am very passionate about social justice. should I pursue a carer in politics or law?
Law school is super expensive and the job market is crap but, at the same time I really like immigration law and as an added plus most politicians are lawyers(i know thats because lawyers are highly respected in there community but still), But on the other hand pursuing a carer in politics would be great for me as well and I wouldn't have a huge burden of debt.

Any input is appreciated :D

Take LSAT and then come back with that number and ask these questions.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”