2nd Yr Biglaw Lit. Assoc., YLS Grad, TLS Alum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Doorkeeper

Re: 2nd Yr Biglaw Lit. Assoc., YLS Grad, TLS Alum

Postby Doorkeeper » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:06 pm

gottago wrote:How does V5 work for YLS kids? @ HLS recruiters apparently count the # of H's you have, but does that work for YLS?

HLS student here. I just want to chime in on this point. Wachtell is the only V5 firm in NYC really counts Hs from Harvard students. I know fellow students with anywhere from 2-3 to 8+ Hs who got offers from the same V5 firms. There are a number of other variables that are just as important, or more important, for Harvard kids than the number of Hs.

Chill_Out

Postby Chill_Out » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:20 am

Could you tell us a bit about your TFA experience and its relationship with your decision to attend law school?

KaNa1986

Postby KaNa1986 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:19 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
gottago wrote:How does V5 work for YLS kids? @ HLS recruiters apparently count the # of H's you have, but does that work for YLS?

HLS student here. I just want to chime in on this point. Wachtell is the only V5 firm in NYC really counts Hs from Harvard students. I know fellow students with anywhere from 2-3 to 8+ Hs who got offers from the same V5 firms. There are a number of other variables that are just as important, or more important, for Harvard kids than the number of Hs.

I'm sure S&C/CSM also count H's and focus heavily on grades unless you are truly exceptional in another way (e.g. worked at Carlyle PE/Goldman IBD). DPW/Skadden care less about 1L grades.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:14 am

Is the type of work you do different from what you learn at school? That is, is it a different set of skills that you have to learn as you start work at a firm or is the work more like incorporating the things you learned during your 3 yrs of education.

I'm starting law school this year and I just stumbled into this thread somehow.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:27 am

What has your actual work included? Taken any depositions? Stood up in court? What's the case team make-up like? How many partners/Srs/Mids/Jrs on average?

letsplayball

Postby letsplayball » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:07 pm

People always talk about the legal/firm vibes in different cities, but it's difficult to place exact words on this subject as it is somewhat vague. I was wondering if you have knowledge and could explicate the legal vibe/cultural differences between NYC and DC, and perhaps a couple other large legal markets in the US (Chicago, Atlanta, Cali, etc). Thanks!!!

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:11 pm

There hasn't been a post in this thread for over two years so I wouldn't anticipate an answer.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”