mandatory ABA membership?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tomfoolery

mandatory ABA membership?

Postby tomfoolery » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:46 am

My understanding is that, as a 1L, my school automatically signs me up in the ABA. Dues are billed to my account.

Is this typical? And why is this automatic?

The ABA has taken definitive stands on some controversial issues, and I may or may not agree with any or all of them.

If the ABA was purely a professional organization, I might understand. But it isn't. It's as much political as it is professional.

How would the legal/academic community react if a school automatically registered all 1Ls for the Federalist Society?

Thoughts?

rinkrat19

Re: mandatory ABA membership?

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:51 am

You probably shouldn't attend any accredited law school, then. That's exactly like an endorsement of all the ABA's positions.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:08 am

tomfoolery wrote:My understanding is that, as a 1L, my school automatically signs me up in the ABA. Dues are billed to my account.

The ABA has taken definitive stands on some controversial issues, and I may or may not agree with any or all of them.

If the ABA was purely a professional organization, I might understand. But it isn't. It's as much political as it is professional.

How would the legal/academic community react if a school automatically registered all 1Ls for the Federalist Society?

Thoughts?

One week deep into law school and already you're in love with yourself? That didn't take long.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:32 am

The mandatory dues thing is bullshit, though.

Postby 2014 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:57 am

The normal rate is 30 a year I think and the school probably gets a group discount by signing the whole class up. Of all the things to stress about this probably shouldn't be a big one.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:43 pm

That is BS. I guess idk if my school does that... we were heavily lobbied to pay to join the student division of the ABA, but I never did so.

ABA is just a lobbying instrument for biglaw and law school administrators; paying to be part of the state bar association is more than enuff for me.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:44 pm

It's almost as bad as a mandatory NYT subscription.

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:04 pm

Fight the power. You can at least go and complain to the school administration and see what their reaction is.

PolySuyGuy

Postby PolySuyGuy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:54 pm

tomfoolery wrote:My understanding is that, as a 1L, my school automatically signs me up in the ABA. Dues are billed to my account.

Thoughts?

It isn't the mandatory ABA that gets to me, it is the mandatory SBA that kills me. Those worthless good for nothing........

The only group I have ever met with more self importance is the High School Prom Committee.

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:57 pm

Seconded on the mandatory SBA opinion.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”