Supplements

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lawschoolboundfuture

Supplements

Postby lawschoolboundfuture » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:52 am

When buying supplements like E and Es does it matter what edition you get. The old editions are obviously cheaper. I was wondering if the material has changed that much?

JuTMSY4

Re: Supplements

Postby JuTMSY4 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:08 am

depends on the subject honestly (although some might tell you otherwise). Property law doesn't really change, but Tax does.

Secondly, don't buy supplements until your professor tells you to. Some are needed, some aren't.

lawschoolboundfuture

Postby lawschoolboundfuture » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:12 am

The professors tell you what supplements to buy?

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:15 am

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:The professors tell you what supplements to buy?

No. Don't listen to professors advice on supplements unless they actually recommend one. If they say don't get one, you should still get one if you want to put in the extra time.

I would not get E&E for Con-Law period. Get Chemerinsky.

For your other 1L classes, older editions of E&E will work just fine.

YYZ

Postby YYZ » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:51 am

I wouldn't waste money on supplements at this point. You can always buy them later if you really need them. Generally, you need to understand the material the way the professor teaches it. On exams, profs want you to analyze issues in the manner instructed in class. They also want you to refer to the cases taught in class. I don't think you'll get ahead by learning "extra" info about the legal issues in the supplements.

In my opinion, use the extra time to outline your class notes (throughout the semester) and discuss them with study partners. If there is something you don't understand, ask the prof or your study partners. This will be much more helpful than reading supplements. By mastering the material taught in class, you'll have the best chance at an A.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”