Time off in 1L to compete in show?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TLSburner

Time off in 1L to compete in show?

Postby TLSburner » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:38 am

So I just got a callback for a show, but I'd have to take up to 2 weeks off from school in September. I'm not sure if I'd be able to keep up with reading or not, as the rules for what I could bring with me haven't been laid out. Obviously I'd be missing class time instruction.

Small odds that I'd win, but the prize is very substantial. If it matters, T6 school.

WahooLaw24

Re: Time off in 1L to compete in show?

Postby WahooLaw24 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:07 am

This sounds like a very poor idea. Even if you could somehow keep up with the reading, you'd be missing the instruction that would help you make some sense of it.

Backload

Postby Backload » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:35 am

what show?

TLSburner

Postby TLSburner » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:47 am

Backload wrote:what show?

Million Second Quiz. I'd definitely supplement my reading with E&Es and hornbooks. I also know a few people at my school already who will probably take notes for me if we're in the same section.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:05 pm

Do it. Honestly you won't miss much the first few weeks of class, most people start cramming a few weeks before finals. The value of that story in an interview will probably more than make up for any marginal loss of study time.

CAVEAT: The ABA Standards require you to have regular and punctual class attendance and not to work more than 20 hours per week. I'm not sure if competing on a game show counts as work. But you should get permission from the school.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:08 pm

Taking two weeks off during fall of 1L is a bad idea.

TLSburner

Postby TLSburner » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:00 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Taking two weeks off during fall of 1L is a bad idea.

I know it isn't a good idea, trending towards bad, but I'm trying to find out if its recoverable. Other than not having face time with profs/students for 2-weeks, I'm not sure if it's earth-shattering provided I can still read/study. If I can't bring study aids and my books, I'd for sure turn it down, but if I can... a shot at $10m is tempting.

dsn32

Postby dsn32 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:03 pm

You get to meet Ryan Seacrest? YOLO.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:12 pm

TLSburner wrote:

I know it isn't a good idea, trending towards bad, but I'm trying to find out if its recoverable. Other than not having face time with profs/students for 2-weeks, I'm not sure if it's earth-shattering provided I can still read/study. If I can't bring study aids and my books, I'd for sure turn it down, but if I can... a shot at $10m is tempting.

1L classes are a fixed-sum game thanks to the curve. Your taking two weeks off will put you two weeks behind your fellow 1Ls, aka your competitors. Opportunities to "recover" are limited because that's time and energy you should have even spending on law school anyway.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:24 pm

what does being on the show entail? If you have like 4hrs a day to read EEs etc. you'd probably end up ahead of your classmates who are stuck gchatting in class.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:26 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
TLSburner wrote:

1L classes are a fixed-sum game thanks to the curve. Your taking two weeks off will put you two weeks behind your fellow 1Ls, aka your competitors. Opportunities to "recover" are limited because that's time and energy you should have even spending on law school anyway.

A lot of what is covered in the first few classes is general information that will never be tested, or very basic points of law that are easily picked up. And it's not like everyone is going to be studying 100% of the time, so that OP won't be able to make up the ground with extra time during October. I also have no doubt students would happily provide their study materials when they hear OPs story.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:28 pm

Nothing happens in September.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:48 pm

missing two weeks early on in the semester is something you can recover from but you will have to be extremely proactive in making sure you understand the material you missed (i.e. study groups / getting notes / office hours with professor & t.a.)

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:58 pm

Make sure your professors don't have any graded assignments early in the semester. If there are no graded assignments due during that period, then go ahead and do the show. Before you do the show, make lots of friends in your section and check in with them about what the class is covering as well as school gossip.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:35 pm

Wait, you could win ten million dollars?

You need to go on the show and just figure it out with the school. I would even defer a year for a shot at $10 million.

Talk to the school and make a plan. You are not going to get another chance at a prize like this. You have to go for it, even if you lose.

UMich11

Postby UMich11 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:25 am

TLSburner wrote:So I just got a callback for a show, but I'd have to take up to 2 weeks off from school in September. I'm not sure if I'd be able to keep up with reading or not, as the rules for what I could bring with me haven't been laid out. Obviously I'd be missing class time instruction.

Small odds that I'd win, but the prize is very substantial. If it matters, T6 school.

Play this out like the movie "21" and you'll be golden for the BL interview.

muskies970

Postby muskies970 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:16 am

THE MILLION SECOND QUIZ
WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE A CHANCE AT WINNING MILLIONS?

THE MILLION SECOND QUIZ is the biggest game show ever imagined.

An electrifying, new competition where contestants test the limits of their knowledge, endurance and will to win, as they battle each other in intense quiz bouts covering everything from pop culture & current events to world history and more!

This LIVE event will air in primetime on NBC beginning September 9th, from a gigantic hourglass-shaped structure in the heart of Manhattan.

WITH MILLIONS AT STAKE, YOU COULD WIN THE BIGGEST PRIZE IN GAME SHOW HISTORY!

I would never advocate for missing two consecutive weeks of school. I'm also an incoming 1L so I haven't experienced a semester of lawschool yet, but this seems like a once in a lifetime opportunity. Obviously if you win 10 million dollars or some other prize that could already make up for it in the short term, but also to be on national television, compete in a gameshow, etc... If your school lets you do it, I say go for it.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:39 pm

dsn32 wrote:You get to meet Ryan Seacrest? YOLO.

TLSburner

Postby TLSburner » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:16 pm

Okay, so I'm 90% set on doing the show should I get it, but I just remembered that my GFs 21st birthday is right in the middle of the time frame. I already planned her a pretty elaborate party (dinner, open bar, etc.), so I'm thinking it won't be a huge deal, but the dog house could also be in my future.

Mroberts3

Postby Mroberts3 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:25 pm

TLSburner wrote:Okay, so I'm 90% set on doing the show should I get it, but I just remembered that my GFs 21st birthday is right in the middle of the time frame. I already planned her a pretty elaborate party (dinner, open bar, etc.), so I'm thinking it won't be a huge deal, but the dog house could also be in my future.

I would be happily sitting in that dog house...with my $10,000,000 (which I'm fairly sure wouldn't even fit inside).

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:26 pm

Please post updates.

OP will surely deliver.

buddyt

Postby buddyt » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:24 pm

cerealdan wrote:Please post updates.

OP will surely deliver.

There was an epic xo thread where OP was in the WSOP and made it to the top 60-ish players, continually posting imgur pics of the tournament. It was fantastic.

TLSburner

Postby TLSburner » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:04 pm

It's official. Monday 6am MSQ, or Monday 9:10am torts.

dsn32

Postby dsn32 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:09 pm

TLSburner wrote:It's official. Monday 6am MSQ, or Monday 9:10am torts.

MSQ. I'll be watching.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:56 pm

buddyt wrote:
cerealdan wrote:Please post updates.

OP will surely deliver.

There was an epic xo thread where OP was in the WSOP and made it to the top 60-ish players, continually posting imgur pics of the tournament. It was fantastic.

During my first LSAT waiting thread, one of the dudes in chat was chatting from the table, showing us his cards. Was pretty sweet.

I kind of miss poker.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”