How important is a textbook's edition? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BluePurgatory

New

How important is a textbook's edition?

Post by BluePurgatory » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:03 pm

When buying textbooks, if, for instance, the 7th edition is about 48 dollars and the 8th edition is about 198 dollars, assuming the professor posts the 8th edition as required, how significant of a difference would there be between the two editions?

kay2016

Silver

Re: How important is a textbook's edition?

Post by kay2016 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:29 pm

Use the search function. There was literally a thread about this last week.

It depends on the class. Ask the professor.. Or buy the old and be prepared to have to do extra work to look up missing cases and the like. But the other threads detail why some classes need the new edition.

BostonLove

New

Re: How important is a textbook's edition?

Post by BostonLove » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:13 pm

BluePurgatory wrote:When buying textbooks, if, for instance, the 7th edition is about 48 dollars and the 8th edition is about 198 dollars, assuming the professor posts the 8th edition as required, how significant of a difference would there be between the two editions?
I ended up doing this in a couple classes, because I bought from/was given for free from 2Ls. In one, it did not matter in the slightest. In another, I ended up having to buy the new edition - it added a LOT of new cases and discussions.

If you are getting the book for free or wicked cheap, I'd consider trying it and then if after the first week it seems to be an issue, get the new one. If you can get the edition the professor listed for not significantly more, pay the little bit extra.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”