how does biglaw USA salary compare to other nations?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
gaucholaw

how does biglaw USA salary compare to other nations?

Postby gaucholaw » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:02 am

I'm posting this as a matter of pure curiosity, considering that our legal system is quite different than Europe's and not especially portable. However, I've been talking with some Europeans recently, and anecdotally, it seems that while French and German "biglaw" lawyers aren't particularly well-paid, UK and Swiss lawyers seem to be similar to U.S. primary market rates. All of the countries seem to have much lower attrition rates, and higher Q.O.L (with the exception of the UK). Again, this is all anecdotal from my part, and I would love to here others chime in with their own facts/anecdotes!

beautyistruth

Re: how does biglaw USA salary compare to other nations?

Postby beautyistruth » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:49 pm

I'd be interested to know as well, although I think that you'd also have to weigh that against the cost of law school in these nations.

jtabustos

Postby jtabustos » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:07 pm

Kind of a tangentially related q:

Is there any cost of living adjustments to biglaw salaries at any stage? NYC living is ridiculously high compared to the rest of the nation.

Although biglaw jobs are more plentiful there and may be strategically better to go for, I personally dislike the city, its compactness, and high COL.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:10 pm

jtabustos wrote:Kind of a tangentially related q:

Is there any cost of living adjustments to biglaw salaries at any stage? NYC living is ridiculously high compared to the rest of the nation.

Although biglaw jobs are more plentiful there and may be strategically better to go for, I personally dislike the city, its compactness, and high COL.

Sure there is. You make less than $160k in a lot of secondary markets. :P

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:30 am

rinkrat19 wrote:

Sure there is. You make less than $160k in a lot of secondary markets. :P

Bingo. Southern markets pay less than 100k often

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:32 am

I think there was a thread that mentioned Canada pays like sub100k

Hours are much better too I think

guano

Postby guano » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:21 am

This isn't exactly a fair question, because most other countries do not allow a fresh law grad to practice law unsupervised or be admitted to the bar, have an UG law degree, and have easier hours. But, for comparison sake, in The Netherlands, Belgium and Germany, a fresh law student hired by the best local firms (international, multi-office, or foreign branch of magic circle / V50) make roughly €45-€50k, working roughly 40 hours a week.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:02 pm

http://www.nalp.org/buying_power_index_class_of_2011

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”