Study Schedule & Locations in Law School (for a Night Owl)?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ksllaw

Study Schedule & Locations in Law School (for a Night Owl)?

Postby ksllaw » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:36 am

For those of us who enjoy working late at night, does the typical law school class schedule make this impossible?

Also, what places are there for students to work/study at late into the night? How common are 24 hour cafes or study locations on campus (including on the weekends)?

sinfiery

Re: Study Schedule & Locations in Law School (for a Night Owl)?

Postby sinfiery » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:03 am

There are places everywhere! I know the starbucks a block north from campus is open 24/7, should be perfect.

ksllaw

Postby ksllaw » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:23 am

sinfiery wrote:There are places everywhere! I know the starbucks a block north from campus is open 24/7, should be perfect.

I'm guessing it depends on the college campus/town. My sister's campus is quite bad for late night studying, as their libraries close overnight and her dormitory study lounge was dungeon-like (drab and old walls and furniture + poor lighting).

Whereas, my own undergrad had a number of 24 hour locations to study on campus - some requiring that you get into the building before it locked from the outside - and then both a Denny's and IHOP within decent walking distance.

The local airport was a reliable desparation study location as well with 24 hour cafes and gift shops open and various benches and tables to study from (and lots of room to wander off and exercise or to think). :wink: Many fun memories of studying with friends there.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:58 am

It may be helpful to name a school. My schools law library is open 24/7 so you can be there real late if you want to.

olive16

Postby olive16 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:26 am

It will depend on your particular school/town.

See if your school offers 24-hour building access to law students. If so, there will usually be some study space available in the school. Also look for 24-hour cafes/libraries on or near campus.

ksllaw

Postby ksllaw » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:03 am

Are the typical law classes held in the morning/afternoon?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:45 am

ksllaw wrote:Are the typical law classes held in the morning/afternoon?

Full time student? 1L, yes. We always had a variety of elective-type things offered 4 pm. on, to accommodate adjuncts with jobs, but the 1L required courses were basically 9-2. Probably varies by school, though.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:38 am

ksllaw wrote:For those of us who enjoy working late at night, does the typical law school class schedule make this impossible?

Also, what places are there for students to work/study at late into the night? How common are 24 hour cafes or study locations on campus (including on the weekends)?

Banned for alting.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”