Is TLS a Bubble or Reflective of Your Law Peers?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jtabustos

Is TLS a Bubble or Reflective of Your Law Peers?

Postby jtabustos » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:52 am

Curious how much of the "wisdom," attitudes, and personalities found here at TLS reflect the typical/actual population of law school students out there? Is TLS a microcosm of the whole or more of an isolated bubble world?

If you don't mind, let us know where you attend school if you answer. Doesn't have to be specific, but maybe just something like saying it's a T14 or Tier 1...Tier 4 school would be helpful.

jtabustos

Re: Is TLS a Bubble or Reflective of Your Law Peers?

Postby jtabustos » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:03 am

Just to add on to the OP, how do your classmates differ from those here on TLS if they do differ?

thenewguy

Postby thenewguy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:38 am

Applying this cycle, but my other prospective law friends do not remotely share the conventional TLS wisdom. They're all under the impression that it matters what school you go to, but definitely do not understand exactly how cut throat and narrow this list of schools is. U of M undergrad so a lot of east coast kids gun for like Fordham or Cordoza. In state kids always want U of M but are okay with MSU. A lot of people from home (philly area) strive for Temple. Nothing wrong with ending up at these schools with some $$ but it irks me when they dont set their standards higher out of the gate when they begin LSAT prep and such. I try and direct them here but often times its hard to try and raise their standards and such without sounding like a D bag.

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:04 am

Bubble. Personalities are probably pretty similar but in terms of the accurate information regarding employment prospects, a lot of people at my T20 don't have a clue.

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:28 pm

overall TLS seems a bit more pessimistic than the avergae collection of law school students. Then again, maybe a better word is "realistic."

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”