1L summer position in a city different than 2L? Possible?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Does it matter?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 15

Bob-Loblaw 1

1L summer position in a city different than 2L? Possible?

Postby Bob-Loblaw 1 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:31 am

Hey guys,

So I'm going to school in NY, however I am not sure whether or not I want to work there or in LA (I have ties to LA-undergrad) when applying for jobs during OCI. I guess my question is:

Does where I spend my 1L summer significantly affect my chances of convincing recruiters during oci that I have ties to either market, or does it really not matter at all?

I very well may perhaps be over-thinking this and am just concerned with having to decide where I want to apply to jobs for 1L soon if it means deciding in which city I will work.

Thanks so much!

mh013

Re: 1L summer position in a city different than 2L? Possible?

Postby mh013 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:05 pm

bump...also interested in this

ArtistOfManliness

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:47 pm

Based on the polls this isn't looking good - even if you go to school somewhere, just spending 1L someplace else is gonna ruin everything in the market you're going to go school for 2L/etc.?!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:02 pm

It's not going to ruin it but it will make it harder. Certain places are going to judge you for not spending your 1L summer in the area where they are.

Generally 1L can be used to shore up wherever your ties are weakest. For example, if your ties to LA are very strong then not spending 1L summer there might not be a big deal. But if someone only has their law school as a tie to Chicago then spending 1L summer in Chicago can help demonstrate interest in that city.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:26 pm

If you get a SA gig in LA, you can always say to NY that you wanted to try out the legal market where you went to college, and didn't like it for XYZ reason specific to LA, and thus it has confirmed you want to work in NY.

It's much harder to go the other way (NY, then LA), but it can be done if you have a good story. Be aware--you will be asked about it in almost every interview, though.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”