What skills are most indicative of Law School Performance

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mvonh001

What skills are most indicative of Law School Performance

Postby mvonh001 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:34 pm

Everyone on this website says that LSAT is not indicative of your Law School 1L grades, or any grades for that matter. What is indicative of them? UG GPA? LSAT? SAT? ACT? Drive? English ability (quite subjective)? Math Ability?

IDK, thats why I'm asking you guys.

Or is there really no way to determine where you will fall in the bell curve?

kay2016

Re: What skills are most indicative of Law School Performance

Postby kay2016 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:39 pm

I'm a 0L.. But, my understanding is that it's your last thought.

There's no way to tell because collectively, each law school class is pretty smart. They also have a similar mix of LSAT/GPA combos.

Since your grades are mostly/exclusively made up of how you perform relative to the other smart people in your class on one exam per class that is CURVED, the difference between letter grades is much smaller than it is in UG.

You can try to study smarter, study more, or any of the other numerous ways discussed here to try to get a leg up.. But everyone is smart and so it's really hard to figure out if you'll be one of the top students or not.

But that's just kind of how i've seen it explained before.

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:35 pm

It's a confluence of intelligence and luck.
Intelligence is notoriously difficult to quantify and luck, by definition, cannot be predicted. As a 0L, the reasonable assumption you can make is that you'll be median.

If you're reasonably self-aware and observant, however, you'll be able to estimate your relative intelligence pretty well by the end of the first semester. Even then, you still have to factor in a wide margin of error for capricious grading by lazy professors.

scifiguy

Postby scifiguy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:44 pm

mvonh001 wrote:Everyone on this website says that LSAT is not indicative of your Law School 1L grades, or any grades for that matter. What is indicative of them? UG GPA? LSAT? SAT? ACT? Drive? English ability (quite subjective)? Math Ability?

IDK, thats why I'm asking you guys.

Or is there really no way to determine where you will fall in the bell curve?

Given it's the first time people will be learning the material and applying it, it'd seem very hard to tell without a track record.

It's still hard to pick out exactly who will be a bust or star in other areas of life even with a track record at times, but at least you have something to judge people by when you're selecting people in the NFL Draft...NBA Draft......maybe a pool of people to join a Ph.D. program, etc. .......You've seen them perform the actual skill set they'll be utilizing. But, of course, you have busts all the time and also those who surprise you.

There's no undergrad law program, so there's no history to judge people by in terms of their legal aptitude. Doing great in math...literature, etc. may not translate well into legal thinking or skills.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:59 pm

It's not necessarily that the LSAT is a poor predictor of law school performance -- it's actually pretty good. It's more except in very rare cases, your law school class will be made up almost entirely of people with very similar LSAT scores, so the predictive ability isn't very useful (especially since the curve is forcing distinctions between these people. It's possible without a curve everyone would do very similarly). That's why it's important to attend a school where you'd be happy to get median grades.

This is a fantastic video about LSAT, its predictive power for 1L grades and the disparity between URM and ORM scores: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7_xHsce57c

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:09 pm

Yukos wrote:It's not necessarily that the LSAT is a poor predictor of law school performance -- it's actually pretty good. It's more except in very rare cases, your law school class will be made up almost entirely of people with very similar LSAT scores, so the predictive ability isn't very useful (especially since the curve is forcing distinctions between these people. It's possible without a curve everyone would do very similarly). That's why it's important to attend a school where you'd be happy to get median grades.

This is a fantastic video about LSAT, its predictive power for 1L grades and the disparity between URM and ORM scores: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7_xHsce57c

Didn't watch the video, but I think the real answer is that you don't know. I am a URM and was 8 LSAT points behind the median at my T14. Finished top 25% first semester after busting my balls and following TLS advice. Didn't do as well the next semester because I rested on my laurels. Its just tough because even when u have an LSAT advantage hard work can kind of make of the difference in a hurry. I also know some URMs that just naturally got it even tho their LSAT wouldn't indicate that they would. I also know some ORMs that didn't get it even tho they had top LSAT scores. I'd just go in assuming median hoping for the best working as hard as possible until you know where u fall.

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:08 pm

Common Sense
Organization
Preparation

You'd be surprised at how many folks do NOT posses all of these qualities entering law school! Organization really helped me gain preparedness. Taking the time to schedule out ALL of your LS tasks allows you to allocate more mental energy on your studies.

Additionally, common sense in law school is NOT very common. You'll discover some of the brightest minds in your class struggle with understanding basic social dynamics. IMO, it gave me a advantage!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”