Law school difficulty Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tal32123

New

Law school difficulty

Post by tal32123 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:28 am

Last edited by tal32123 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Re: Law school difficulty

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:39 am

:shock:

lukertin

Silver

Post by lukertin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:48 am

law school is pretty easy all in all

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:21 am

All three of your posts were submitted over the last 26 minutes and each of them are questionable.

But assuming you aren't a troll. Law school is all reading and writing. That's it. Get used to it. /thread.

tal32123

New

Post by tal32123 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:32 am

Last edited by tal32123 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:42 am

tal32123 wrote:I realize they might be somewhat questionable. No I'm not a troll, just curious. And no, I know law school is not easy lol I just want to know if it's as difficult as everyone says or are they just complaining?
It's not that the material is difficult. It's that so much is on the line. You're spending tens of thousands of dollars, if not hundreds of thousands, for only one year that really matters. Everyone is on the same curve and everyone wants to be at the top. Depending on the school, some/many/most will fail. Your job depends on that first year. (I don't mean this to sound overly dramatic.)

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:44 am

tal32123 wrote:So is law school as difficult as everyone says it is? I personally am not that big of a reader or a writer, I'm much more of a doer. Also is most of law school just reading or are there mock trials as well and other things that have more action? What are the most difficult assignments you've had? Also please state your law schools if you comment. Thanks :)
The material is not conceptually difficult. It is a lot of work though, much more than most students have ever come close to doing. And it is ONLY reading and writing. You know that even when an attorney has a trial, that is preceded by MONTHS AND MONTHS AND MONTHS of reading and writing, right? You don't just stand up there and talk out of your ass.

The most difficult assignment I've had is reading a 12 page exam hypothetical and then typing 7,500 words in four hours for an exam that determines my entire grade for the semester and which is curved against the 100 other people in my class, all of whom are as smart and hard working as I am. And that's what every assignment is. There aren't assignments in law school, there is just your final exam or paper, that's it. Every class is graded by either a single 3-8 hour exam or a single research paper.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:51 am

Geist13 wrote:
tal32123 wrote:So is law school as difficult as everyone says it is? I personally am not that big of a reader or a writer, I'm much more of a doer. Also is most of law school just reading or are there mock trials as well and other things that have more action? What are the most difficult assignments you've had? Also please state your law schools if you comment. Thanks :)
The material is not conceptually difficult. It is a lot of work though, much more than most students have ever come close to doing. And it is ONLY reading and writing. You know that even when an attorney has a trial, that is preceded by MONTHS AND MONTHS AND MONTHS of reading and writing, right? You don't just stand up there and talk out of your ass.

The most difficult assignment I've had is reading a 12 page exam hypothetical and then typing 7,500 words in four hours for an exam that determines my entire grade for the semester and which is curved against the 100 other people in my class, all of whom are as smart and hard working as I am. And that's what every assignment is. There aren't assignments in law school, there is just your final exam or paper, that's it. Every class is graded by either a single 3-8 hour exam or a single research paper.
This

tal32123

New

Post by tal32123 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:55 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tal32123

New

Post by tal32123 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:20 am

Last edited by tal32123 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:56 am

Just don't go to law school.

NanaP

Bronze

Post by NanaP » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:06 am

NYstate wrote:
This.....

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:44 am

UnderrateOverachieve wrote::shock:
LOL, that face after reading this.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:53 am

Assuming you're not joking, you should not go to law school.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:25 am

NYstate wrote:
This. Law school doesn't sound like a good fit.

InferenceOptional

New

Post by InferenceOptional » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:31 am

You sound like somebody who will always get it wrong but argue in front of class, which is a delicious 1-2 punch.

How's this for action? Your whole future can be based on one three hour test. If you make great points, you can get a job paying 160k with yearly bonuses. If you shit the bed then homelessness becomes a non-0% outcome.

If you aren't good at reading or writing then you likely would do very poorly. You get better at reading as you go. Professors do go out of their way to accommodate bad English for the most part, and untangle what you're saying. For example, I am very creative but terrible at English. I have not found I have been penalized for having an 8-year old's spelling ability, but I'm sure it does not help.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:19 am

Most lawyers spend about 70-90% of their time reading and writing dry, technical material. If this does not sound appealing, consider another line of work.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:17 pm

If you're a "doer," you probably want to consider another profession. It's good that you're figuring this out now and not after you've enrolled.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:19 pm

Law school is basically the opposite of what you think/hope it is. There is very little "doing," by your definition. Even if you participate in a clinic and get to do actual, real-world legal work as a student, it's still like 95% reading and writing.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:22 pm

tal32123 wrote:Oh boy haha. I mean don't get me wrong, one of the Alumni from my fraternity used to come by every so often with a giant book that looked very boring and said he had to read around 90 pages a day or so. I mean the main reason I asked is that I'd always do well without studying or doing any of the readings (even in college I'm doing relatively decent without much work), not that I don't want to do schoolwork it's just that it's much harder for me to do schoolwork now because I got myself used to not doing it if you know what I mean :/
Look, I got an engineering degree with honors doing very little studying. That simply doesn't work in law school.

tal32123

New

Post by tal32123 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:59 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tal32123

New

Post by tal32123 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:01 pm

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:03 pm

tal32123 wrote: I get that, and I'm not opposed to reading or not a little bit. I just have pretty bad reading and undiagnosed add (hate doctors so never got it checked but I have all the symptoms of it lol). And there's no field where I'd see more action than just reading/writing all day?
Well, you could go ADA, or do some kind of law where you're in court all the time on minor things -- DUI, landlord-tenant, etc. I do know a few guys who are like this and found jobs -- street smart and charismatic and not super into reading/writing but just good enough at it to get by. If you're going this route, please don't get into a lot of debt because you won't make much money for a while.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:04 pm

tal32123 wrote:Also i heard its not bad if you're a government employee. And I'm still an undergrad with time to choose whether I wanna go to law school or not so I'm trying to get it all sorted out a soon as possible.
Don't go to law school. Stop posting

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:14 pm

tal32123 wrote:Also i heard its not bad if you're a government employee. And I'm still an undergrad with time to choose whether I wanna go to law school or not so I'm trying to get it all sorted out a soon as possible.
I'm working in a government office right now. As a 1L summer intern, I'll have written like 8 memos and researched a bunch more (research=reading) issues in 10 weeks.

If you want to "do" things, go to trade school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”