First Year V100 Litigation Associate Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Anonymous Associate

Re: First Year V100 Litigation Associate Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous Associate » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:25 pm

Kafkaesquire wrote:
Anonymous Associate wrote:
snowedin wrote:Since you do patent litigation, do you have a STEM background? Is a STEM background necessary for doing patent litigation?

Yes, I am a tech person. I don't think it is necessary to do patent litigation. But more of the associates in patent lit have tech backgrounds, and my firm prefers to hire those with a tech background.

How my firm does it is to put 1-2 people on each patent lit case that have a relevant technical background that can handle the technical issues. I have been on two main cases. On one, I was the technical person and did a lot of the technical work-infringement analysis, expert reports, working with experts, explaining the technology to other attorneys, etc.

On the other, the case is not in my technical background, so I did more of the legal aspects of the case (motion practice, discovery, some claim construction and invalidity charting). I am not a software person, but at least with simpler software concepts, non-CS people can do some invalidity and claim construction things because the concepts are explained in English (kinda).

In another thread, I asked this:

When beginning a career in patent litigation, does one’s engineering discipline necessarily play a role in the type of cases he/she may participate in?

I answered it there too, but:

I made an effort to join a case in my technical background, and one that is not in my technical background, so that I could get experience doing both technical work (expert reports, infringement analysis, etc) and non-technical work (discovery, damages, etc). I like that blend, and would recommend it if you can swing it.

Kafkaesquire

Postby Kafkaesquire » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:36 am

Kafkaesquire wrote:
snowedin wrote:Since you do patent litigation, do you have a STEM background? Is a STEM background necessary for doing patent litigation?

Yes, I am a tech person. I don't think it is necessary to do patent litigation. But more of the associates in patent lit have tech backgrounds, and my firm prefers to hire those with a tech background.

How my firm does it is to put 1-2 people on each patent lit case that have a relevant technical background that can handle the technical issues. I have been on two main cases. On one, I was the technical person and did a lot of the technical work-infringement analysis, expert reports, working with experts, explaining the technology to other attorneys, etc.

On the other, the case is not in my technical background, so I did more of the legal aspects of the case (motion practice, discovery, some claim construction and invalidity charting). I am not a software person, but at least with simpler software concepts, non-CS people can do some invalidity and claim construction things because the concepts are explained in English (kinda).

In another thread, I asked this:

When beginning a career in patent litigation, does one’s engineering discipline necessarily play a role in the type of cases he/she may participate in?

I answered it there too, but:

I made an effort to join a case in my technical background, and one that is not in my technical background, so that I could get experience doing both technical work (expert reports, infringement analysis, etc) and non-technical work (discovery, damages, etc). I like that blend, and would recommend it if you can swing it.

Interesting. Thanks.

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:43 am

Anonymous Associate

Postby Anonymous Associate » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:17 pm

sublime wrote:Thanks for doing this. And congrats on what sounds like a pretty amazing job!

If you were to offer any advice to people starting school this fall, what would it be?

Relax. Law school isn't that hard. It really isn't. I promise. Don't let the neurotic people get to you. Be confident in using your own studying methods, and don't get wrapped up in what everyone else is doing.

I personally found supplements a waste of time and effort. Do what you will with that thought.

Try to take a class during your 1L year that related to your interest area, if possible with 1L scheduling. Helps your decide if you are right with what you want to do, and gives you something substantive to talk about re: classes with interviewers. I find this particularly helpful if a candidate doesn't have the best of grades.

Take skills classes wherever possible. Classes taught by actual practitioners tend to be useful.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:53 pm

Thanks for doing this.

Did most associates at your firm have SF ties prior to law school?

Anonymous Associate

Postby Anonymous Associate » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:54 pm

superdingle2000 wrote:Thanks for doing this.

Did most associates at your firm have SF ties prior to law school?

I am just thinking of the first year litigation people. Actually, none of us had ties to the bay area before law school that I know of. We're literally all from the east coast originally. Half of us went to law school in the bay area though.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”