Admissions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
thislamp

Admissions

Postby thislamp » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:29 pm

The information that Duke itself puts out about its admission process and academic philosophy really emphasizes qualities like innovation and leadership. I have some leadership experiences, but not super strong ones and my uGPA and LSAT scores fall in a "reach" zone for Duke. Based off whatever experiences you had when you applied for law school, and any of your classmates' experiences that you are familiar with, do you think it might really hurt my chances of admission that I don't have a lot of leadership experience? Thanks!

jingosaur

Re: Admissions

Postby jingosaur » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:35 pm

Can you retake the LSAT? A nice LSAT score can easily make up for lack of leadership.

thislamp

Postby thislamp » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:18 pm

Well, I did get a 171 on LSAT, which is 75th percentile for Duke. So actually it's really my GPA bringing me down (3.49). But do you know if leadership greatly affects their decision?

Motivator9

Postby Motivator9 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:26 pm

That should get you in but you're right , your GPA will is what would keep you from getting a huge chunk of $$$$

http://mylsn.info/rapf8k

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:37 pm

Except for, like, Yale and Berkeley, schools are mostly lying when they say they care about anything besides GPA/LSAT/URM status. Berkeley is just weird (but still likes very high GPAs), and Yale gets a bajillion applicants with literally perfect numbers, so they have to go beyond numbers to choose (numbers are still necessary, but not sufficient).

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”