Notre Dame and UMich Law Grads, how is your Alumni Network?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
UMich11

Notre Dame and UMich Law Grads, how is your Alumni Network?

Postby UMich11 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:34 pm

I have been accepted to both. One deferred, the other starting this fall. I understand the rankings and employment stats, but i'm still torn. I am a UMich UG student and i already have seen the UMich network and how it works - i like it a lot. At the same time my family is ND/ND law, and i see how that works - i also like that a lot.

What are your thoughts, have you made a lot of important connections as a grad from your school? If you had to go back, would you have picked something different?

Did your prospective employer give you more weight because of where you went (outside OCI) or did you get a job because of a alumni connection?

I'd like to work in the midwest - Chicago/Michigan area. But i would not be opposed to East/West/South. I am also not dead set on practicing law, right now i'm in consulting/investment banking - law school is more a thing i want to do, and yes i'm aware of the costs.

All thoughts are appreciated.

NanaP

Re: Notre Dame and UMich Law Grads, how is your Alumni Network?

Postby NanaP » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:43 pm

UMich11 wrote:I have been accepted to both. One deferred, the other starting this fall. I understand the rankings and employment stats, but i'm still torn. I am a UMich UG student and i already have seen the UMich network and how it works - i like it a lot. At the same time my family is ND/ND law, and i see how that works - i also like that a lot.

What are your thoughts, have you made a lot of important connections as a grad from your school? If you had to go back, would you have picked something different?

Did your prospective employer give you more weight because of where you went (outside OCI) or did you get a job because of a alumni connection?

I'd like to work in the midwest - Chicago/Michigan area. But i would not be opposed to East/West/South. I am also not dead set on practicing law, right now i'm in consulting/investment banking - law school is more a thing i want to do, and yes i'm aware of the costs.

Go to Mich

UMich11

Postby UMich11 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:35 pm

NanaP wrote:
UMich11 wrote:I have been accepted to both. One deferred, the other starting this fall. I understand the rankings and employment stats, but i'm still torn. I am a UMich UG student and i already have seen the UMich network and how it works - i like it a lot. At the same time my family is ND/ND law, and i see how that works - i also like that a lot.

Go to Mich

Any substance behind the answer?

2013applicant

Postby 2013applicant » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:45 pm

If you want a better-than-miniscule chance of being employed in biglaw, you will pick Michigan.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:51 pm

UMich11 wrote:I am also not dead set on practicing law, right now i'm in consulting/investment banking - law school is more a thing i want to do, and yes i'm aware of the costs.

Don't go to law school. It is a terrible idea for you. I'm not sure why law school is a thing anybody would just "want to do." And this is coming from someone who doesn't hate law school. Law school is a professional school. You go there so you can enter a profession (lawyering). If you don't wish to enter that profession, then don't go to that school. People don't go to medical school as a "thing they want to do" because that's just as stupid. People go to medical school to become doctors because that's not stupid.

If you want to "learn the law," go on the internet. If you want to feel like you are paying to "learn the law," buy some casebooks off of Amazon and read them.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:59 pm

Please stop making threads.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”