will this upward trend help.

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sarcasticzebra

will this upward trend help.

Postby sarcasticzebra » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:48 pm

I have had some rough patches in undergrad, though my accum is higher than a 3.0 and I have 60 credit hours left and so far I have been getting all A's, in prior semesters I have some semesters of straight Withdrawals which will look bad to admcomms, but after all the Ws, I will have a 60 credit hour upward trend of no Ws and As, do think that credit hour trend can offset the psychological factor of seeing the excessive Ws? yes, no?

Also should mention I am scoring in 170s on practice LSAT diagnostics

shazi

Re: will this upward trend help.

Postby shazi » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:54 pm

IMO I think the upward trend definitely helps. If you show a tremendous amount of improvement it could definitely help offset earlier mishaps in your grades. The Withdrawals will hurt but just write an awesome addendum explaining how you have greatly matured and are now super motivated to succeed.

That is awesome that your scoring in the 170s. Even so, do whatever you can to bump that score even higher. Take a Testmasters class/buy the Powerscore bibles if you haven't already. Study full-time for the LSAT like your life depended on it. It can't be overstated how important your LSAT score is. Even a 3.2 will easily land you in the T14 with a 175 LSAT.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:10 am

for the most part, it won't matter. trends can help at the margins but an upward trend wont move admissions to take a 3.2 over a 3.3 just because the 3.2 had 4.0 the last few semesters.

BUT i would be careful in thinking your gpa will be the same after lsac calculates it since it depends how your undergrad has the withdrawals on your transcript (http://www.lsac.org/policies/transcript-summarization.asp)

id send in your current transcript to see what the lsac conversion is; if it's over 3.0 you will be fine. crush your remaining classes and rock the lsat

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:12 am

no, not really

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”