Bringing dog with you to law school. Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
raferna3

New

Bringing dog with you to law school.

Post by raferna3 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:40 am

I know this may seem like a silly thread to some of you without a dog, but I live on my own, have a small dog, and was wondering how going to law school would affect my ability to keep him.

I will likely be moving across the country and with all the horror stories you hear about 1L, not to mention group study and the networking and social aspects of it, I am feeling a bit unsure as to whether I can make it work given the fact that I have to walk him a few times a day, etc.

Any legit advice on this subject? Any one been in similar circumstances?
Last edited by raferna3 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buddingjd

New

Re: Bringing dog with you to law school.

Post by buddingjd » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:43 am

Dogs certainly require some work, but IMO they are worth it. I have two, and they have been a better stress-release than any drug or alcohol.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:49 am

Although 1L is a lot of work, the schedule of when/where you work is pretty flexible - I knew lots of people in 1L who had dogs. They'd often hang out and do dog-dates together. It's once you're out and working in biglaw (if you do biglaw) that it gets more difficult.

(Of course, I went to one of the outdoorsiest schools in the country, which may make a difference, but it seems like a bunch of people here have dogs.)

WhiteRabbit

New

Post by WhiteRabbit » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:51 am

buddingjd wrote:Dogs certainly require some work, but IMO they are worth it. I have two, and they have been a better stress-release than any drug or alcohol.
+1

Although I feel guilty for leaving him alone, sometimes for the whole day, I couldn't imagine not having him around when I want to relax and forget about class.

kay2016

Silver

Post by kay2016 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:38 pm

I'm bringing mine and I know at least a handful of my classmates who are bringing theirs as well.

My class schedule allows for me to go home midday at least 3 days a week to walk him, otherwise my days should still be shorter than my UG class schedule.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:41 pm

I assume it depends on the professor. Just be sure to ask ahead of time.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:46 pm

best thing you can do is have a dog in law school. for the dog, you will never have more time to spend with the dog than in law school. class isn't that many hours a day, and its much less time away than when you are working. and the dog will be your bff, listen to your law school problems, and curl up at your feet while you study in bed. also the dog will be the only thing making you go outside 3 times a day and get some exercise, which is absolutely crucial to staying sane in law school. wouldn't be surprised if dog owners in law school as a group get better grades and are happier.

raferna3

New

Post by raferna3 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:01 pm

c3pO4 wrote:also the dog will be the only thing making you go outside 3 times a day and get some exercise
Lol, geez, I hope that isn't true, but yes, the rumored schedule and all it entails is what had me second guessing whether or not to bring him.

Thank you for all the responses though, they have all been very helpful and reassuring. Of course, I am very hesitant to leave my little guy behind. I am going to move forward with the plan of bringing him along with me, and then further investigate my specific circumstances when I know where I will be heading.

Thanks again!

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:43 pm

raferna3 wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:also the dog will be the only thing making you go outside 3 times a day and get some exercise
Lol, geez, I hope that isn't true, but yes, the rumored schedule and all it entails is what had me second guessing whether or not to bring him.

Thank you for all the responses though, they have all been very helpful and reassuring. Of course, I am very hesitant to leave my little guy behind. I am going to move forward with the plan of bringing him along with me, and then further investigate my specific circumstances when I know where I will be heading.

Thanks again!
one thing i'll add - driving cross country with my dog to law school was one of the best experiences of my life. would bring just for that alone

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kay2016

Silver

Post by kay2016 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:29 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
raferna3 wrote:

Thanks again!
one thing i'll add - driving cross country with my dog to law school was one of the best experiences of my life. would bring just for that alone
Haha I'm excited for this next week

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:16 pm

kayleighcheyenne wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:
raferna3 wrote:

Thanks again!
Haha I'm excited for this next week
+1 (2 weeks for me)

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:06 am

Look at it this way, it'll be a lot easier to have a dog in law school than it ever will when you're working. Your 1L study hours aren't going to be as crazy as you think, and outside of 4-5 hours a day of class, your schedule will generally be pretty flexible so you can go home and hang out with the pup in the middle of the afternoon.

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:21 pm

I don't think I could have survived 1L without my dog. Was it easy? No. But it was worth it. My dog listened to my problems, kept me from being in the library constantly, and made me break up my study time and get out and get fresh air and exercise. Get a pet sitter for emergencies or times when you have to stay at school late. I moved across the country, too, and my dog was fine. Taking my dog was 100% the best decision I made.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rory19

Bronze

Post by Rory19 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:31 pm

I'm bringing my pup too and I really think it's going to work well. My schedule right now at work is 9-5:00 and my class schedule looks to be only about 2-6 hours a day for fall semester so I think her quality of life is actually going to increase.

kay2016

Silver

Post by kay2016 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:39 pm

My biggest concern is just my pup adjusting to the new neighborhood and stuff.. And hopefully finding some new dog owning neighbors for him to be around when we go on walks.

But there's no way id not bring him!

Stinson

Bronze

Post by Stinson » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:43 pm

If you are worried that you can't take care of a dog during 1L, then you are way, way over-frightened about what 1L entails. There's a lot of work, but the vast majority is done on your schedule. Plus a dog will be fantastic for de-stressing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”