Living on Campus as a 1L

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
moshei24

Living on Campus as a 1L

Postby moshei24 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:31 pm

How important is it to live walking distance from campus during 1L? Is it worth living somewhere more expensive with less space just to be right next to the school for the first year?

That's one option, with my other option being living about 45 mins away by train.

Any advice?

Nova

Re: Living on Campus as a 1L

Postby Nova » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:36 pm

An hour and a half commute a day seems daunting to me. Some people in my class didn't seem to mind commuting though. And at least you are not driving.

I lived next to the law school and enjoyed rolling out of bed and into class. I liked being able to go home whenever i wanted (to change clothes, to nap, to relax). To me, it was worth paying for location.

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:45 pm

Nova wrote:An hour and a half commute a day seems daunting to me. Some people in my class didn't seem to mind commuting though. And at least you are not driving.

I lived next to the law school and enjoyed rolling out of bed and into class. I liked being able to go home whenever i wanted (to change clothes, to nap, to relax). To me, it was worth paying for location.

I've been hearing that a lot.

One of the issues I have is that it's already July, and I doubt I'll find a roommate who keeps kosher, so I won't be able to use the stove or oven. Do people in the dorms even use them that much or are they not really necessary?

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:58 pm

That probably just depends on the person. I never cook.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:00 pm

Dorms have stoves and ovens? My, things have changed.

Wouldn't the oven in any apartment ever rented by someone who didn't keep kosher also be off-limits?

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:01 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Dorms have stoves and ovens? My, things have changed.

Wouldn't the oven in any apartment ever rented by someone who didn't keep kosher also be off-limits?

They're like hybrids of apartments/dorms.

And I would be able to make it kosher by "kashering" it, but I can't do that when someone else will always be using it. I could always buy a toaster and just use the stove. Hmmm, maybe it's not so bad.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:21 pm

Toaster ovens are legit. I use one when I don't want to heat up the whole oven just to broil one piece of chicken or whatever. They even make baking pans in toaster oven size.

Can you share a fridge, dishes and utensils with non-kosher people? I guess you could have your own dishes and utensils, but the fridge...

Man, religion is way more trouble than it's worth. :wink:

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:30 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Toaster ovens are legit. I use one when I don't want to heat up the whole oven just to broil one piece of chicken or whatever. They even make baking pans in toaster oven size.

Can you share a fridge, dishes and utensils with non-kosher people? I guess you could have your own dishes and utensils, but the fridge...

Man, religion is way more trouble than it's worth. :wink:

Yeah, I could share a fridge. I'll just keep my stuff covered, which I usually do anyway. And I'll also prob have a mini-fridge in my room. I just gotta hope I get a chill roomie.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:54 pm

or you could live in a studio/1 br near the school....

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:03 pm

TheThriller wrote:or you could live in a studio/1 br near the school....

Way too expensive.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:07 pm

I hear the commute from Brooklyn isn't too bad, (20-30 minutes) but you're gonna distance yourself from the 1L class by not living in the dorms the first year as it seems the vast majority of 1Ls live there. (80%+)

No one is going to absolve from using the stove so you can keep it kosher but otherwise I'm sure people will leave appliances you buy alone.

2/3L you'd want to find your own place tho

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:15 pm

sinfiery wrote:I hear the commute from Brooklyn isn't too bad, (20-30 minutes) but you're gonna distance yourself from the 1L class by not living in the dorms the first year as it seems the vast majority of 1Ls live there. (80%+)

No one is going to absolve from using the stove so you can keep it kosher but otherwise I'm sure people will leave appliances you buy alone.

The stove isn't an issue. It's a fire. I'd just use my own pots and that stuff, and prob but my own toaster.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:20 pm

moshei24 wrote:
sinfiery wrote:I hear the commute from Brooklyn isn't too bad, (20-30 minutes) but you're gonna distance yourself from the 1L class by not living in the dorms the first year as it seems the vast majority of 1Ls live there. (80%+)

The stove isn't an issue. It's a fire. I'd just use my own pots and that stuff, and prob but my own toaster.

How is an oven different than a stove? It's just a "fire" with a box around it.

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:34 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
moshei24 wrote:

Ovens absorb flavors in the walls. A stove is literally just a fire. An oven is its own entity.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:05 pm

moshei24 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
moshei24 wrote:

Ovens absorb flavors in the walls. A stove is literally just a fire. An oven is its own entity.

The engineer in me is making skeptical faces. It's a metal box. Which a fridge is as well. If a cover is good in a fridge, why can't you bake with foil on top of your pans?

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:23 pm

moshei24 wrote:How important is it to live walking distance from campus during 1L? Is it worth living somewhere more expensive with less space just to be right next to the school for the first year?

That's one option, with my other option being living about 45 mins away by train.

Any advice?

Is it 45 minutes ON the train, or 45 minutes total? If the former, why are those your only two options?

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:45 pm

Where do flavors spread? In cold or in cooking? And I prob could use a cover in the oven; it's just annoying. It's commonplace in the fridge.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:53 pm

moshei24 wrote:Where do flavors spread? In cold or in cooking? And I prob could use a cover in the oven; it's just annoying. It's commonplace in the fridge.

Considering I've had milk and butter that tastes like onions from the fridge, but I've cooked turkey and dessert in the same oven at the same time with no problem, I think your flavors theory might be backwards. I know kosher Tillamook cheese is made in the same factory as the regular cheese, using all the same equipment as the regular cheese (just without animal rennet), under the watch of the appropriate rabbis and everything.

But anyway, I'm not trying to argue with you over your kosher requirements or anything; I'd just never heard of an appliance that didn't actually touch the food itself having to be kosher and was wondering about the logic behind it. Carry on; you gotta do what you gotta do. :P

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:21 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
moshei24 wrote:Where do flavors spread? In cold or in cooking? And I prob could use a cover in the oven; it's just annoying. It's commonplace in the fridge.

Considering I've had milk and butter that tastes like onions from the fridge, but I've cooked turkey and dessert in the same oven at the same time with no problem, I think your flavors theory might be backwards. I know kosher Tillamook cheese is made in the same factory as the regular cheese, using all the same equipment as the regular cheese (just without animal rennet), under the watch of the appropriate rabbis and everything.

But anyway, I'm not trying to argue with you over your kosher requirements or anything; I'd just never heard of an appliance that didn't actually touch the food itself having to be kosher and was wondering about the logic behind it. Carry on; you gotta do what you gotta do. :P

Onions are a sharp food, so if you had them close to each other that makes sense. An onion spreads flavor really quickly because it sweats and causes other foods to sweat. Did you cover those two foods when you cooked them in the oven?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:26 pm

moshei24 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Onions are a sharp food, so if you had them close to each other that makes sense. An onion spreads flavor really quickly because it sweats and causes other foods to sweat. Did you cover those two foods when you cooked them in the oven?
I doubt it. Most the deserts wouldn't need to be covered. A turkey might be covered for part of the time. But these are foods in the oven at the same time, cooking together. Foods cooked at different times aren't going to leech any flavor. That's why cake doesn't taste like casserole doesn't taste like roasted Brussels sprouts doesn't taste like roast beef.

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:01 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
moshei24 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Whatever. This happens to be a pointless conversation. If you're so curious about it, research it.
I doubt it. Most the deserts wouldn't need to be covered. A turkey might be covered for part of the time. But these are foods in the oven at the same time, cooking together. Foods cooked at different times aren't going to leech any flavor. That's why cake doesn't taste like casserole doesn't taste like roasted Brussels sprouts doesn't taste like roast beef.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:11 pm

Top-Rabbinical-Schools.com may have better information on this.

But seriously OP, I would think living in Brooklyn or finding someone else who shares your dietary restrictions would be a better option than living on toaster oven food.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:19 pm

moshei24 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
moshei24 wrote:Whatever. This happens to be a pointless conversation. If you're so curious about it, research it.
You could have just said it was the rules, you know, instead of throwing out some absurdity about "flavors." I understand that there are traditions, like no pork, that are rooted in something that once made literal sense without any religious reasons (pork meat was unsafe) and are now just the traditional rules. But actual flavors don't soak into the metal walls of an oven and get into food the next time someone uses the oven. That's just silly.

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:55 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
moshei24 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
moshei24 wrote:Whatever. This happens to be a pointless conversation. If you're so curious about it, research it.
You could have just said it was the rules, you know, instead of throwing out some absurdity about "flavors." I understand that there are traditions, like no pork, that are rooted in something that once made literal sense without any religious reasons (pork meat was unsafe) and are now just the traditional rules. But actual flavors don't soak into the metal walls of an oven and get into food the next time someone uses the oven. That's just silly.

Why are you getting so angry and defensive? I gave you some of the reasons behind it. I'm not about to go and argue with you about all of this, so I told you to go do some further reading if you're having trouble understanding the basics behind it. You're welcome to go and read more detailed explanations behind it. :)

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:04 am

moshei24 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:You could have just said it was the rules, you know, instead of throwing out some absurdity about "flavors." I understand that there are traditions, like no pork, that are rooted in something that once made literal sense without any religious reasons (pork meat was unsafe) and are now just the traditional rules. But actual flavors don't soak into the metal walls of an oven and get into food the next time someone uses the oven. That's just silly.

Why are you getting so angry and defensive? I gave you some of the reasons behind it. I'm not about to go and argue with you about all of this, so I told you to go do some further reading if you're having trouble understanding the basics behind it. You're welcome to go and read more detailed explanations behind it. :)
I'm not angry, sparky. Chill.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”