Can you be happy in BigLaw? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cl101

New

Can you be happy in BigLaw?

Post by cl101 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:51 pm

I've read a lot of articles and posts here that say BigLaw is truly miserable (the long hours, tedious work, job insecurity, stress, competitive/hostile environment, etc). Is anyone here working in BigLaw actually enjoying their work?

guano

Gold

Re: Can you be happy in BigLaw?

Post by guano » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:00 pm

cl101 wrote:I've read a lot of articles and posts here that say BigLaw is truly miserable (the long hours, tedious work, job insecurity, stress, competitive/hostile environment, etc). Is anyone here working in BigLaw actually enjoying their work?
The ones who are miserable tend not to last long.

(Disclaimer: I don't work in biglaw, but a different "soul-crushing" field. I know several biglaw associates/partners who are happy in biglaw. Just don't expect the work to be fun/interesting all the time)

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:37 pm

Of course you can. I know/knew a lot of people who weren't/aren't. But I thin a lot of this comes down to personality. There are a lot of people who genuinely like working a lot of hours and being engrossed in their jobs--and obviously there are even more who like making a lot of money. Ironically enough, I do think that the people most likely to get a big law job are the one's most likely to enjoy it (people at the top of their classes at top law schools) because they have, in a sense, been working biglaw for most of their lives.

Kafkaesquire

Bronze

Post by Kafkaesquire » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:34 pm

I automatically like you, OP, because you are not scifiguy...

...or are you? :evil:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”