internship during 1L

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
luxxe

internship during 1L

Postby luxxe » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:38 pm

Is doing an internship during the first semester of 1L possible? I want to do PI & got an offer to intern at organization I really really want to work for next summer/after law school. It would be 12-15 hours per week & I'd (obviously) be a non-legal intern but would get to work with the attorneys some.

Thanks!

A. Nony Mouse

Re: internship during 1L

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:50 pm

Talk to your law school. Many have policies that forbid 1Ls from working (assuming you're attending full-time), though sometimes you can get a waiver. Obviously if your school does have that policy you have to decide whether you want to try interning under the table, so to speak

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:56 pm

I did since I would need the right small sections to make it work. 12-15 hours a week isnt a problem with them, I was just wondering if that would be way too much to try to take on my first semester/year.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:36 pm

Ah, got it. I worked second semester 2L, but like maybe 7 hours a week. 1L can have a really steep learning curve, so I do think it would be kind of tough to do that during first semester. A lot of people will say, don't jeopardize your 1L grades. But really, it depends on the person. So maybe if you can arrange it so that if it becomes too much, you can bail with no hard feelings? Or that you stop with a good 6 weeks-month before finals? Or if you could arrange to start second semester, that might be better (I'd be surprised if it made much difference for the employer).

But again, it will depend mostly on you and how much time you need to spend on school.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”