When to Get Married During Law School Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
domino9028

New

When to Get Married During Law School

Post by domino9028 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:42 pm

Hi All,

I recently got engaged (0L) and my fiance (also a lawyer) and I have been trying to figure out when during law school we can plan for a wedding. It's possible that it will be in another country so we are trying to find a 1 1/2 to 2 week period where I would be able to get away. If the wedding is local, we can wait on the honeymoon. Waiting until after the bar is also an option but we're hoping for something a little sooner. The only option I am seeing is early August (from what I gather most summer associate programs seem to run late May to early July). Any other suggestions? Anyone else on here planned a wedding during law school?

Thanks!

dr123

Gold

Re: When to Get Married During Law School

Post by dr123 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:43 pm

just go sign the papers at the courthouse. bang! married.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:48 pm

Some summer associate programs do run into August, so I wouldn't plan it for then. Winter break of 2L maybe? Depends on how much of a production you want it to be. A low-key wedding can be slotted in anywhere, but if you have a bunch of family and and it's going to be stressful, there are limited windows.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:55 pm

domino9028 wrote:Hi All,

I recently got engaged (0L) and my fiance (also a lawyer) and I have been trying to figure out when during law school we can plan for a wedding. It's possible that it will be in another country so we are trying to find a 1 1/2 to 2 week period where I would be able to get away. If the wedding is local, we can wait on the honeymoon. Waiting until after the bar is also an option but we're hoping for something a little sooner. The only option I am seeing is early August (from what I gather most summer associate programs seem to run late May to early July). Any other suggestions? Anyone else on here planned a wedding during law school?

Thanks!
Do it after 1L finals but before you'd start a job. Or during school during 2L-3L. You can disappear for 2 weeks as a 2-3L.

domino9028

New

Post by domino9028 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:15 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Some summer associate programs do run into August, so I wouldn't plan it for then. Winter break of 2L maybe? Depends on how much of a production you want it to be. A low-key wedding can be slotted in anywhere, but if you have a bunch of family and and it's going to be stressful, there are limited windows.
Winter break of 2L sounds good actually. Cheaper and more of a break that the two weeks I was used to back in college (quarter system back then). We'll probably have time to hang out on a beach to get away from winter weather, too.

Not too worried about the "production" aspect of it. Planned my brother's over the top wedding in under 2 months with little stress. If I didn't want to be a lawyer, I'd probably in the wedding industry. That's where the money is people! Not law!

Thanks guys!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”