BigLaw folks! Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cl101

BigLaw folks! Questions

Postby cl101 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:12 am

First of all, some people seem to get super riled up over questions that may be somewhat similar to old questions and stuff like that. If this post pisses you off, please just close it and move on. Let's not start fights, ok? :wink:

Who do you think is best suited to Biglaw? Give me some adjectives
What attracted you to Biglaw?
If you're in Biglaw, do you enjoy it? Is it what you expected? Are you planning to get out of it once your loans are paid off, or are you in it for the long haul?

smaug_

Re: BigLaw folks! Questions

Postby smaug_ » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:13 am

Stop.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:15 am

cl101 wrote: If this post pisses you off, please just close it and move on. Let's not start fights, ok? :wink:

Can I leave a comment about how bad this thread is and move on? :wink:

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:20 am

You're just too lazy to search/google these things?

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:21 am

Timing too coincidental. Scifiguy returns!

cl101

Postby cl101 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:02 am

sinfiery wrote:Timing too coincidental. Scifiguy returns!

I don't know who this Scifiguy is...seriously, some of you people are way too into your conspiracy theories. I'm just asking a question. I posted it in another subforum and was directed to this one instead

cl101

Postby cl101 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:05 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:You're just too lazy to search/google these things?

How can I search/google when I'm asking the opinion of TLS forum people? Isn't the point of this forum to communicate with feller future/current/former law school students? I want some first-hand info from people that were or are currently in BigLaw, not just articles written by Jo Schmo

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:59 am

Stop posting such ridiculous threads.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:42 pm

sinfiery wrote:Timing too coincidental. Scifiguy returns!

I knew Scifiguy was planning on creating an alter ego when he "retired from creating threads." It seemed really fishy.

cl101

Postby cl101 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:29 pm

Seriously, who is scifiguy? You guys have got me all curious now haha

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:57 pm

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=208357

Hopefully you're able to navigate the search feature effectively enough to find his 40 or so threads

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:02 pm

cl101 wrote:Seriously, who is scifiguy? You guys have got me all curious now haha

Scifiguy was a serial creator of threads like this. I'm not convinced you're not him, but since I don't mind these threads so much, here you go:

cl101 wrote:Who do you think is best suited to Biglaw? Give me some adjectives

I think you're best suited if you have an interest or background in business or finance or in whatever specialty, like IP. It also helps to be prepared to work long hours and do grunt work. It also doesn't hurt to be a "chill and sociable bro," as there's a fair amount of politics involved in climbing the latter. Adjectives like "corporate," "fratty," "masochistic," "obsessive," "type A," etc. are obvious but are probably not that accurate.

What attracted you to Biglaw?

Interest in business and finance. High salary. Prospect of good exit options. Easiest way to get a legal job and get experience if--and this is obviously a big if--you have the requisite credentials. Job security during 2L and 3L year.

If you're in Biglaw, do you enjoy it? Is it what you expected? Are you planning to get out of it once your loans are paid off, or are you in it for the long haul?

Like a lot of posters, I'm studying for the bar and my only experience is as a summer associate, which is not very representative. I did enjoy the work I did over the summer, and it was indeed very business and finance oriented. But I worry that I won't like it so much when I have to do it for 12 hours a day.

I hope to pay down a good chunk of my loans. I'll decide whether I want to exit when I know if I actually like it. Assuming, of course, I don't get forced out, which is probable.

utlaw2007

Postby utlaw2007 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:48 pm

Thanks for the laugh guys. This thread and its responses have been too funny!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”